News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
The inspectors are state employees assigned to the county health departments. $125 per pool isn't paying their salaries.
No, but it's also not a burden unique or specific to RCID/Disney. The budgeting and fee structure for the health department is set and they are already dealing with the burden of that or not.

Riviera Rita

I would assume this was always true. Even if RCID was doing inspections, nobody involved would want an issue to show up first as part of that inspection no matter the relationship.

Is there any source beyond this one side blurb in the CNN article? It's attributed to "a source" and "DeSantis said" and without any references or direct quotes. Things that lose a lot of nuance and details.

Do we even know if RCID was doing pool inspections instead of some other entity and what the change might include? Unless the change is to an entity willing to push boundaries for alternative reasons, it's not likely they're going to start shutting down pools "just because". I would be surprised if Disney internal controls were not already stronger than any state level criteria.

On the flip side, if it reduces RCID expenses that will free up some cash for new lawyers without impacting other services.
You just hit on another thing when you mention Disney's internal controls being stronger than state level criteria as RCID building codes were already higher than state ones, their buildings are probably the best place to be if a hurricane hit full on. Will the OCTOD be as strict for future building works?

flynnibus

Premium Member
You just hit on another thing when you mention Disney's internal controls being stronger than state level criteria as RCID building codes were already higher than state ones, their buildings are probably the best place to be if a hurricane hit full on. Will the OCTOD be as strict for future building works?

What motivation would there be to rework the codes to be less strict? That's a lot of effort for what payoff exactly?

The corruption comes from adding to requirements, or in how they are applied/interpreted.. not really lessening them.

Kamikaze

Disney will continue to build to exceed EPCOT Codes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What motivation would there be to rework the codes to be less strict? That's a lot of effort for what payoff exactly?

The corruption comes from adding to requirements, or in how they are applied/interpreted.. not really lessening them.
Agreed….unless somehow building codes become woke too 🙄🙄🙄. I’m not sure how that would be possible, but look at what happened to vaccines :(. I think anything is possible. Of course even if the district lessened the codes there‘s nothing to stop Disney from continuing to follow higher standards. The code is the minimum.

lazyboy97o

The EPCOT Building Code is not some completely different beast. A lot of it is in line with the Florida Building Code. The resiliency of Walt Disney World is exaggerated. Today what makes Walt Disney World more resilient than neighboring areas isn’t the different codes but the different scale, with the size of many properties pushing them up to be a Risk Category III instead of a standard Risk Category II, which requires being able to withstand a higher ultimate wind load.

Disney will continue to build to exceed EPCOT Codes.
They largely follow the EPCOT Building Code. Only in certain instances do internal standards require a more restrictive approach.

Tha Realest

That's hyperbole but it really feels that way. Every single stupid idea, like adding tolls or using health regulations to screw with operations, was mentioned about 200-400 pages ago.

It seemed stupid when you consider a baseline level of rationality or decorum in government, but I'm happy to admit I was wrong.
Ah got it. I checked her Twitter feed and didn’t see much on this, so just curious if our rantings have manifest as quasi policy

Stripes

Premium Member
Here’s proposed resolution No. 639

DED9DCE9-25B1-460C-B871-EF4AD44DDBB4.png
C2681B71-76BD-477D-9222-0B28DA43D6F4.png
DAD3BF66-3824-4648-923A-3A65F7B679F4.png
71C676FC-67A8-484C-943F-FF5C607FA8BF.png

drnilescrane

Do you have a link?
I can't read that.
I was able to skim it - basically says that Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake can't override the district's planning authority, disbands the separate planning board and makes the Board of Supervisors the ultimate planning authority with no recourse to appeal, and reduces the requirement for notice to 1 simultaneous public hearing and reading.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I was able to skim it - basically says that Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake can't override the district's planning authority, disbands the separate planning board and makes the Board of Supervisors the ultimate planning authority with no recourse to appeal, and reduces the requirement for notice to 1 simultaneous public hearing and reading.
But wasn’t all this planning already “locked in” already with the previous agreement? I’m assuming if any of this really changed anything they would have made it part of the previous RCID/Disney deal?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can someone explain what this resolution means?
First part is to try to deny the two cities any powers to accept development orders, permits, or any developer agreements - saying all this should be with the power of the district. Also their land development regulations should not be less strict than the district's plan.

Second part aims to redefine the planning board that manages the development regulations to eliminate the planning board and just replace it with the board of supervisors.

Basically a big power grab to try to consolidate decision making on development planning into the BoS directly.

drnilescrane

But wasn’t all this planning already “locked in” already with the previous agreement? I’m assuming if any of this really changed anything they would have made it part of the previous RCID/Disney deal?
Yeah, IANAL so I really can't comment on what this means but it's the internet so I'm going to do it anyway.

My guess this is the wheels turning on Plan A - strip all the power out of the bureaucracy of Reedy Creek and circumvent the cities. Put it in the board so they can actively stymie development.

Plan B would be the board voting to tear up the old agreement, change the planning rules anyway, and sit back and wait for Disney to sue. Which is what they want.

flynnibus

Premium Member
this looks like an attempt to close off other avenues for land mangement and permitting... while eliminating the professionals that are supposed to manage it.

Note the prior act required at least one of the planning board to have professional experience... of course the BoS has no such requirement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom