News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
I would suspect Disney continues to do their own internal inspections which will likely be more thorough than a state inspection anyway and the state inspections are just added bureaucracy and a waste of time and money.…..which I guess is the point.
Pools - especially public ones... have regulations applied to them for health code, safety, building, and chemical storage/use.

People run their facilities day to day, but face oversight, even after a facility is opened. Just like your building elevators get inspected periodically, etc.

This is not so new unknown burden to the county - this is just some new customers. But like I said in another post, I don't think RCID was doing the majority of this anyway... their charter doesn't get into health code AFAIK.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If RCID was allowed to conduct the inspection of all pools on WDW property and the new district no longer has the authority, you've just added 50-60 pools to the list. And I believe its a semiannual inspection.

LAKid53

Premium Member
From what I could find the inspections are done twice a year. Disney has 30+ resorts including DVC and most have multiple pools so I would guess maybe 70-100 total pools to inspect times 2 for twice a year so 140-200 inspections a year. My guess is a single inspector could cover more than one pool in a day but who knows. Even if he did 3 pools a day that’s still 12 work weeks of extra work so 1/4 a full time worker (FTE) added. If he could only cover 1 pool a day then about 1 FTE. so in the grand scheme of things not a huge extra cost to the counties but it isn’t nothing either.

County health departments are part of FLDOH, not the county. And the inspectors handle more than just pools.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Pools - especially public ones... have regulations applied to them for health code, safety, building, and chemical storage/use.

People run their facilities day to day, but face oversight, even after a facility is opened. Just like your building elevators get inspected periodically, etc.

This is not so new unknown burden to the county - this is just some new customers. But like I said in another post, I don't think RCID was doing the majority of this anyway... their charter doesn't get into health code AFAIK.
I think you are probably correct. I also suspect that Disney has a higher standard than the minimum required by the department of health so won’t be an issue either way.

drnilescrane

If RCID was allowed to conduct the inspection of all pools on WDW property and the new district no longer has the authority, you've just added 50-60 pools to the list. And I believe its a semiannual inspection.
According to the CNN article is more like 600. Every kiddy splash pad and hot tub is a separate pool, and don't forget about the water parks. And it's the entirety of CFTOD f/k/a/ RCID so you have to count Golden Oak and the Four Seasons (public areas are in the district, just the neighborhoods aren't), Hotel Plaza Blvd, etc.

LAKid53

Premium Member
No - this is a normal customer pays situation.

People are reading WAY TOO MUCH into this. AFAIK RCID didn't do any of the health inspections previously. I think this single comment from an article is more about regulations that maybe Disney's deal didn't include.

The inspectors are state employees assigned to the county health departments. $125 per pool isn't paying their salaries.

Lilofan

But they do have to find something actually wrong. The Governor can’t just decide to shut down a pool on a whim.
After some heavy drinking late night with 20 other fellow guests that became new friends back in the day at the Coronado main pool hot tub by the Ranchos buildings when pools were open 24/7, the huge hot tub was shut down for cleaning the following morning.

lazyboy97o

According to the CNN article is more like 600. Every kiddy splash pad and hot tub is a separate pool, and don't forget about the water parks. And it's the entirety of CFTOD f/k/a/ RCID so you have to count Golden Oak and the Four Seasons (public areas are in the district, just the neighborhoods aren't), Hotel Plaza Blvd, etc.
Searching the Department of Health website for “Disney” pool reports returns 560 results.

Tha Realest

I thought Golden Oak was excised from RCID because of the voting issue?

Tha Realest

After some heavy drinking late night with 20 other fellow guests that became new friends back in the day at the Coronado main pool hot tub by the Ranchos buildings when pools were open 24/7, the huge hot tub was shut down for cleaning the following morning.
I want to know more but I kind of don’t?

drnilescrane

I think you are probably correct. I also suspect that Disney has a higher standard than the minimum required by the department of health so won’t be an issue either way.
Well sure, but we've gotten to the point that Christina Pushaw is trawling this thread for novel and stupid ways to use the state to stick it to Disney.

I still think Disney is handling this the correct, Mucha way. The way it should have happened the first time around. Let the court of public opinion swing your way.

At this point no guest is going to start demanding Disney apologize to Desantis just to get the pools open again.

drnilescrane

I thought Golden Oak was excised from RCID because of the voting issue?
RCID2020.pdf

Note the shape of the boundary in Range 18. It swings around to keep the Golf Course, Clubhouse and Four Seasons in the district while carving out the residents.

WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS U S INC is not the exclusive landholder in the district either - Four Seasons is owned separately, as are a lot of the plots in Flamingo Crossings. Page 13 has a roll of landholders.

And they *definetely* aren't the only taxpayer. That includes every lessee and operating participant.

LAKid53

Premium Member
RCID2020.pdf

Note the shape of the boundary in Range 18. It swings around to keep the Golf Course, Clubhouse and Four Seasons in the district while carving out the residents.

WALT DISNEY PARKS AND RESORTS U S INC is not the exclusive landholder in the district either - Four Seasons is owned separately, as are a lot of the plots in Flamingo Crossings. Page 13 has a roll of landholders.

And they *definetely* aren't the only taxpayer. That includes every lessee and operating participant.

Where's the acreage owned by Orange County School district? Is there a school in Celebration, Lake Buena Vista or Bay Lake?

mmascari

Well sure, but we've gotten to the point that Christina Pushaw is trawling this thread for novel and stupid ways to use the state to stick it to Disney.
Yes, but the person taking the action has to be someone pressure can be exerted on.

The easiest is someone whose job is dependent on the board directly. Where either a like minded person can be hired, or other job pressures can be applied. Ideally, something the board can be directly involved in the action, so no pressure is needed at all.

A pool inspector that's far removed from any employment hierarchy and probably has nice job protections isn't really a pressure point. They could find a like minded one that wants to be on team "Not Disney". But, it would still need to be someone finding at least something that could be overblown and not just making it up. Since, if they make up something completely, they are likely to be sued.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's hyperbole but it really feels that way. Every single stupid idea, like adding tolls or using health regulations to screw with operations, was mentioned about 200-400 pages ago.

It seemed stupid when you consider a baseline level of rationality or decorum in government, but I'm happy to admit I was wrong.
In that case maybe Ron should consider retiring from politics and set up shop as a caricature artist in the concourse at the Contemporary. They had one there years ago….would be cool to have it back ;););)

drnilescrane

Yes, but the person taking the action has to be someone pressure can be exerted on.

The easiest is someone whose job is dependent on the board directly. Where either a like minded person can be hired, or other job pressures can be applied. Ideally, something the board can be directly involved in the action, so no pressure is needed at all.

A pool inspector that's far removed from any employment hierarchy and probably has nice job protections isn't really a pressure point. They could find a like minded one that wants to be on team "Not Disney". But, it would still need to be someone finding at least something that could be overblown and not just making it up. Since, if they make up something completely, they are likely to be sued.
Yeah, I know. The point is the EOG is scraping the bottom of the barrel with these ideas and leading with them.

Tha Realest

RCID2020.pdf

Ah, got it. Thank you. And I guess FC doesn’t cause an issue as it’s commercial/hotel.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The inspectors are state employees assigned to the county health departments. $125 per pool isn't paying their salaries.
Searching the Department of Health website for “Disney” pool reports returns 560 results.

560 X 125 = $70,000 which might actually be about the cost of 1 guy (including benefits) and since it’s twice a year they’d have $140K budget so likely 2 guys splitting the work. They would need to cover 3 pools a day. It may actually be possible….I think it’s all academic debate anyway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom