News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Does the state have the resources to do the inspections? How are such inspections usually carried out?
I would suspect Disney continues to do their own internal inspections which will likely be more thorough than a state inspection anyway and the state inspections are just added bureaucracy and a waste of time and money.…..which I guess is the point.

Edit: from a quick web search it appears pool inspections fall under the Florida Department of Health in each County so I suppose that means mostly Orange and a little Osceola counties.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Does the state have the resources to do the inspections? How are such inspections usually carried out?
it's kinda weird sounding to me... but we lack the full context.

But in most places pools have state level regulations and county level. With inspections/etc executed by the county dept of health.

In Florida it appears to be the same... Regulations at the state level, inspections executed by the county health dept

Note - they are already doing this for all the other pools - adding Disney's pools would just be incremental. But I think this change would be more about the building code/requirement side.. and less about the health inspections.

mmascari

I would suspect Disney continues to do their own internal inspections
I would assume this was always true. Even if RCID was doing inspections, nobody involved would want an issue to show up first as part of that inspection no matter the relationship.

which will likely be more thorough than a state inspection anyway and the state inspections are just added bureaucracy and a waste of time and money.…..which I guess is the point.

Edit: from a quick web search it appears pool inspections fall under the Florida Department of Health in each County so I suppose that means mostly Orange and a little Osceola counties.
Is there any source beyond this one side blurb in the CNN article? It's attributed to "a source" and "DeSantis said" and without any references or direct quotes. Things that lose a lot of nuance and details.

Do we even know if RCID was doing pool inspections instead of some other entity and what the change might include? Unless the change is to an entity willing to push boundaries for alternative reasons, it's not likely they're going to start shutting down pools "just because". I would be surprised if Disney internal controls were not already stronger than any state level criteria.

On the flip side, if it reduces RCID expenses that will free up some cash for new lawyers without impacting other services.

Sir_Cliff

On the flip side, if it reduces RCID expenses that will free up some cash for new lawyers without impacting other services.
I guess DeSantis may be placating the donors and assorted crazies he appointed to the new board who were shocked to find the job involved overseeing mundane tasks like this rather than being invited to preview screenings to review and approve new Disney movies and television shows!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I would suspect Disney continues to do their own internal inspections which will likely be more thorough than a state inspection anyway and the state inspections are just added bureaucracy and a waste of time and money.…..which I guess is the point.

Correct. County health departments already overwhelmed by other responsibilities. And no budget to take on the extra task.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There were fees associated with the pool permits and their renewal, so I’m not sure much would be saved.

According to the fee schedule, between $125 and $250 per pool.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Which won't be as thorough as what RCID was doing. The state agency responsible will be the Florida Department of Health. I imagine the burden will fall on the county health department.
Honestly the change was supposedly made on the 29th, which was after the news came out about the development deal.. My guess is this is a way to try to cause Disney pain. Shut down pools.

flynnibus

Premium Member
So does that mean the counties are picking up the extra tab to inspect Disneys pools?
No - this is a normal customer pays situation.

People are reading WAY TOO MUCH into this. AFAIK RCID didn't do any of the health inspections previously. I think this single comment from an article is more about regulations that maybe Disney's deal didn't include.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Correct. County health departments already overwhelmed by other responsibilities. And no budget to take on the extra task.
So does that mean the counties are picking up the extra tab to inspect Disneys pools?
From what I could find the inspections are done twice a year. Disney has 30+ resorts including DVC and most have multiple pools so I would guess maybe 70-100 total pools to inspect times 2 for twice a year so 140-200 inspections a year. My guess is a single inspector could cover more than one pool in a day but who knows. Even if he did 3 pools a day that’s still 12 work weeks of extra work so 1/4 a full time worker (FTE) added. If he could only cover 1 pool a day then about 1 FTE. so in the grand scheme of things not a huge extra cost to the counties but it isn’t nothing either.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
No - this is a normal customer pays situation.

People are reading WAY TOO MUCH into this. AFAIK RCID didn't do any of the health inspections previously. I think this single comment from an article is more about regulations that maybe Disney's deal didn't include.
Makes sense, thanks!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom