News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Riviera Rita

You’re massively undervaluing the effect of content availability. You mentioned it but mostly brushed it off. But at the start of your graph consumers of media had very few options. The fact that SNL maintains the numbers it does 50 years later with all of the content competing for viewers attention is impressive. Yes half has many people are at hunt in 2023 as did in 1980 but they also have exponentially more options to choose from, plus others ways to tune in later at more convenient times.
When I was a kid in the UK we had three TV channels in the 1970s and a fourth started in 1982, no cable or satellite TV existed so viewing figures for shows were massive, half the population watched Morecambe and Wise on Christmas Day on the BBC, around 28 million. Today the most popular show on Christmas Day would be lucky to get half that and 8 million is considered good.
There is a thing called 'in real terms' that always has to be taken into account when comparing the past and the present.

gavvy

Half the population of the UK watched a soap opera on Xmas day to see 2 people file for divorce to this day it's the biggest audience ever in TV and probably always will be

Tha Realest

Half the population of the UK watched a soap opera on Xmas day to see 2 people file for divorce to this day it's the biggest audience ever in TV and probably always will be
Yeah. Tv ratings are going to be like that for some time. When LOST dipped below 10 million viewers a week they started wrapping up the series. Now, LOST’s low point would be a ratings bonanza for anything presently airing.

LittleBuford

giphy.gif

Vegas Disney Fan

I'm not completely sure that the decrease in ratings can be attributed to "picking a side." I watched SNL in the early days, and it has always been rather left-leaning. I think the changes you see in ratings can be more attributed to the other factors (how good the cast is and the increase in late late-night options that you mentioned).

Now, I do think that there is evidence that SNL has "picked a side" in recent years, but that really started in 2016, which your chart doesn't cover.

The bigger issue IMHO is that divisions are much more rigid these days. Almost any comment is quickly analyzed for whether or not the individual is conservative or liberal. It is much harder to be middle-of-the-road.
Thank you for your well reasoned and well stated rebuttal.

MagicHappens1971

It would be petty and my examples were taking it it the most extreme, but I believe Disney”s affiliated media are the only ones keeping mum on the issue which in an odd way is just as manipulated. Wouldn’t they normally cover such a thing at least on the ABC side of things?

sedati

Not sure this goes against my point. Comcast has done Disney far more favors in its coverage and comedy, and that may be just the way Disney wants it.

MagicHappens1971

Not sure this goes against my point. Comcast has done Disney far more favors in its coverage and comedy, and that may be just the way Disney wants it.
I don’t think Disney wants to further advertise the issue, on top of the fact that the article would’ve ended with “The Walt Disney Company is the parent company of ABC News” as most Disney related ABC articles do.

GrumpyFan

It’s as much for them as Disney. If Desantis or anyone else can attack Disney and strip their powers over voicing their opposition to policy it can happen to them too. I didn’t think the skit was very funny but it did send a message to both Disney and Desantis and I applaud them for it.

lewisc

Anyone who links the declining ratings of SNL to political content, without adjusting for the overall decline.of TV viewership, is being dishonest or ignorant. 60 minutes viewers dropped by 10 million.

SNL first season featured Chevy Chase making fun of President Ford.

People say SNL used to be funny. Generally people think the best of SNL is.whatver cast, and.shows, aired when they were 20ish

Edited to add American Idol originally had around 38 million viewers, currently 5 million.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So. Over 4.6 million fascists live in Florida?
I don’t think so at all. I personally know a number of people in FL who voted for DeSantis but also strongly oppose this political stunt with Disney. It’s possible to vote for someone and also not support all of their actions (especially in a 2 party system). That’s why it’s complete nonsense when people say DeSantis won re-election easily so therefore the “people” support his actions here.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I don’t think so at all. I personally know a number of people in FL who voted for DeSantis but also strongly oppose this political stunt with Disney. It’s possible to vote for someone and also not support all of their actions (especially in a 2 party system). That’s why it’s complete nonsense when people say DeSantis won re-election easily so therefore the “people” support his actions here.
Agree

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Very true.
People vote against their own self interests all the time. I could prove it on a map…but I’d need a laser pointer and an easel.😎

Disstevefan1

These boards are not a place for clear, precise and truthful posts like this. ;)

mikejs78

Premium Member

Since the March 29 meeting, DeSantis’ administration has also stripped Reedy Creek – now called the Orange County Tourism Oversight District – of its authority to inspect Disney’s 600 pools, a source told CNN. A spokeswoman for DeSantis didn’t respond to a CNN inquiry about pool oversight, but DeSantis said Friday that state agencies would conduct inspections on Disney’s properties.

Yikes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom