News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

I’m not so sure of that. It seems to be within the CFTOD’s purview under state law to amend or revoke the developer agreement if they deem it a “failure.”

“Periodic review of a development agreement.—A local government shall review land subject to a development agreement at least once every 12 months to determine if there has been demonstrated good faith compliance with the terms of the development agreement. If the local government finds, on the basis of substantial competent evidence, that there has been a failure to comply with the terms of the development agreement, the agreement may be revoked or modified by the local government.”

None of that language on its face requires input by Disney. Now, it’s a questionable proposition at best that there will be substantial competent evidence that Disney has failed to comply with the agreement, or that these moves won’t be viewed as pretextual. It’s also unclear that the CFTOD can unilaterally modify the agreement, or what happens if the agreement is revoked - do they default to the previous agreement? Lots of unknowns.
This doesn’t allow the local government to just decide that it no longer likes the agreement. The government has to determine that Disney isn’t doing what it agreed, which basically means that Disney isn’t building theme park and hotel type stuff and is instead building something completely different. They have to wait until Disney starts a new project and then determine that something like a new ride at an existing theme park is inappropriate and inconsistent with the agreement.

SB 102 also isn’t a way into reviewing the agreement. It doesn’t give local governments that sort of power. It would only potentially come into play if a developer (Disney in this case) decided they wanted to use the incentives to building housing in the zoning areas where it is now allowed (which would be most of Walt Disney World). It doesn’t provide for local governments to force housing to be built much less allow development agreements to be rescinded to implement such requirements.

lazyboy97o

They can declare.it a failure, but I don't think they can do anything to change it without Disney's approval. It's a report, nothing more.
It’s more than just a report. A comprehensive plan is the basis of zoning and land development regulations.

The big challenge though with declaring it problematic is that it was at least reviewed by DeSantis’ government. I’d have to double check, but I believe the comprehensive plan is a state requirement that the Reedy Creek Improvement District argued they were not required to follow but chose to do since they pretty much have to do the work anyway. This means it could be argued that approval was more a formality. Not really the best argument as it means DeSantis has to say his government wasn’t paying attention at the time.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It’s more than just a report. A comprehensive plan is the basis of zoning and land development regulations.

The big challenge though with declaring it problematic is that it was at least reviewed by DeSantis’ government. I’d have to double check, but I believe the comprehensive plan is a state requirement that the Reedy Creek Improvement District argued they were not required to follow but chose to do since they pretty much have to do the work anyway. This means it could be argued that approval was more a formality. Not really the best argument as it means DeSantis has to say his government wasn’t paying attention at the time.

A Comprehensive Plan is reviewed and signed off by cognizant state agencies. At the very least SFWMD & DEP. And possibly DACS and maybe even the counties.

If that's the tact DeSantis is going to take, then he's saying a large swath of HIS state government is incompetent. Furthermore, the EPA and Interior would be interested.

Lilofan

Close 1 lane at a time to install the transponders/tag readers and plate readers…a day per lane…trust me, to make $$$, even in New Jersey, you’ll be surprised at how fast they can get it done…
I’m not sure of toll transponder reader systems in FL. It can’t be worse than Maryland toll transponder systems. I drove thru the Baltimore MD tunnel on I-95 and I did not know all toll booths are no longer manned. I received a bill in the mail 5 months later. I mailed my check to PA who handled Baltimore toll payments? It took another 6 months until my check was cashed to pay my bill driving through the Baltimore tunnel.

drizgirl

You’ve heard? I’m confirming as a fact.
Perhaps I should have used a sarcasm font. And you merely proved my point. People waste no time reminding everyone as nauseum that Disney is a business and must pursue profits without exception. But the previous poster thought it was ok if they conducted business in a way that alienated a large chunk of potential customers.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
Perhaps I should have used a sarcasm font. And you merely proved my point. People waste no time reminding everyone as nauseum that Disney is a business and must pursue profits without exception. But the previous poster thought it was ok if they conducted business in a way that alienated large chunk of potential customers.

The executive team and BoD have a two fold mission - increase shareholder wealth and customer satisfaction. Without the latter, the former won't happen.

LittleBuford

But the previous poster thought it was ok if they conducted business in a way that alienated large chunk of potential customers.
They can't please everyone, and what makes some people feel alienated will make others feel welcome. I'm sure Disney have made what they consider to be the better calculation from a long-term business perspective.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Nope, but, you can guarantee Bridget Zeigler will post another overwrought twitter rant about how Florida children are being corrupted by their school.

She has absolutely no clue what any of it means. It will be up to staff to inform her (I pity that person). Let's hope she listens. And if she fails to comply with statute.....there will be lawyers, media outlets and interested groups ready to roast her.

Ginger Weatherell once got raked over the coals during an ERC meeting. To the point one individual referred to her as a "skunk" in the press - she had a large white streak in her hair. Next business day, that streak was dyed. And this was in the 1990s, before the days of social media.

Mrs. Ziegler had better be prepared.

Stripes

Premium Member
Did you email a request? That's how most agencies prefer contact. Provides a record of the request...for both it and you.
More or less. I used their contact form. And I used a randomly generated email address that forwards to my inbox (that I can disable at any time) so my actual email address isn’t released in a public records request.

Vegas Disney Fan

Perhaps I should have used a sarcasm font. And you merely proved my point. People waste no time reminding everyone as nauseum that Disney is a business and must pursue profits without exception. But the previous poster thought it was ok if they conducted business in a way that alienated large chunk of potential customers.

They can't please everyone, and what makes some people feel alienated will make others feel welcome. I'm sure Disney have made what they consider to be the better calculation from a long-term business perspective.

Congrats on politicizing what has actually been most everything but politics

My comment was an addition to the conversations directly above it, people were talking about SNL and talking about alienating customers, it wasn’t exactly out of the blue.

Po'Rich

Saturday Night Live is probably a good example of what happens when you pick a side, when it first began it appealed to everyone and everyone watched it, over the years it’s gotten further and further left and as a result appeals to a smaller and smaller demographic. Those that still watch it love it and love that it’s catering specifically to them but they’ve alienated a lot of people in the process.

I say probably because it’s hard to compare a show that started when there were 4 TV channels compared to modern times but if it still appealed to everyone I’d argue more people would still tune in. I adored SNL in its early years, you couldn’t pay me to watch it now, they now cater to a niche market rather than catering to everyone.

View attachment 709505

I can’t find a chart that goes beyond 2014 so it’s possible it’s rebounded, every chart I find seems to end around that time though. Average viewership in 2023 is about 4 million an episode, that’s down from about 10 million an episode in 1980.
I'm not completely sure that the decrease in ratings can be attributed to "picking a side." I watched SNL in the early days, and it has always been rather left-leaning. I think the changes you see in ratings can be more attributed to the other factors (how good the cast is and the increase in late late-night options that you mentioned).

Now, I do think that there is evidence that SNL has "picked a side" in recent years, but that really started in 2016, which your chart doesn't cover.

The bigger issue IMHO is that divisions are much more rigid these days. Almost any comment is quickly analyzed for whether or not the individual is conservative or liberal. It is much harder to be middle-of-the-road.

peter11435

Saturday Night Live is probably a good example of what happens when you pick a side, when it first began it appealed to everyone and everyone watched it, over the years it’s gotten further and further left and as a result appeals to a smaller and smaller demographic. Those that still watch it love it and love that it’s catering specifically to them but they’ve alienated a lot of people in the process.

I say probably because it’s hard to compare a show that started when there were 4 TV channels compared to modern times but if it still appealed to everyone I’d argue more people would still tune in. I adored SNL in its early years, you couldn’t pay me to watch it now, they now cater to a niche market rather than catering to everyone.

View attachment 709505

I can’t find a chart that goes beyond 2014 so it’s possible it’s rebounded, every chart I find seems to end around that time though. Average viewership in 2023 is about 4 million an episode, that’s down from about 10 million an episode in 1980.
You’re massively undervaluing the effect of content availability. You mentioned it but mostly brushed it off. But at the start of your graph consumers of media had very few options. The fact that SNL maintains the numbers it does 50 years later with all of the content competing for viewers attention is impressive. Yes half has many people are at hunt in 2023 as did in 1980 but they also have exponentially more options to choose from, plus others ways to tune in later at more convenient times.

Brian

I just don’t think it’s very funny, and I say that as someone on the left.

The Jafar clip shared earlier, however, did make me chuckle.
In addition to their obvious political biases, the truly funny people left years ago. Think of who passed through that studio, both writers and cast: Will Ferrell, Conan O'Brien, Tina Fey, Bill Hader, Amy Poehler, Dana Carvey, Kate McKinnon, Darrell Hammond, Martin Short, John Mulaney, and the list goes on.

Though credit where it's due: the guy they have playing "Big Orange" right now does a spot-on impression, both in terms of the voice and seemingly never-ending incoherent rambling he does whenever he's in front of a microphone. Far superior to Baldwin's impression.

Brian

You’re massively undervaluing the effect of content availability. You mentioned it but mostly brushed it off. But at the start of your graph consumers of media had very few options. The fact that SNL maintains the numbers it does 50 years later with all of the content competing for viewers attention is impressive. Yes half has many people are at hunt in 2023 as did in 1980 but they also have exponentially more options to choose from, plus others ways to tune in later at more convenient times.
I do wonder if the ratings chart shown in that post, or other ratings, account for recordings on DVR, since (as you mentioned) it is rather inconvenient to watch live at 11:30pm eastern. I know the "ratings" certainly don't account for the YouTube views.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom