News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Brian

It seems to me that the state of Florida will curse the day they ever challanged the Walt Disney Corporation. This is a "David vs Golliath" match here and the state of Florida has no rocks that it can throw at Disney. (It wouldnt work even if they did)

Disney WILL win this fight. They WILL control their own government and that's it. The faster the voters of Florida accept this, the easier it will be for everybody. (This includes Disney's Orlando competition too)

Disney DESERVES to control it's local government. It is their RIGHT and they are perfectly intitled to do so! Florida...stop trying to get in this company's way! Florida should be THANKING Disney instead of questioning them!

We all know that this is the "Walt Disney Corporation" and that resistance is futile.
A couple things here:
  • No, Disney does not have the "right" to control its own local government. The privilege of doing so was conferred back in the 60s by the legislature. I don't have a "right" to start my own special district without the approval of the legislature and sign-off by the governor.
  • Disney will indeed likely win this fight in the end, as there were multiple legal and even constitutional lines crossed by the state by messing with RCID when they did. The case is further strengthened by the statements they made at the time, and even continue to make to this day.
  • The voters have absolutely no obligation to "accept" Disney controlling their own government. The government serves at the pleasure of the constituency. Suggesting that the voters must accept the will of a private corporation simply by virtue of their size and economic influence flies in the face of American principles.

Voters had an opportunity to make their voices heard mere months after the RCID dissolution legislation passed, and if they found the actions of DeSantis and the legislature distasteful, they could have elected new leadership. Instead, they reelected DeSantis by a nearly 20% margin, and elected even more Republicans to the legislature.

Now, this is certainly not to say that each and every person who went out to vote for DeSantis or a Republican for their state representative or senator agreed with the RCID dissolution (take me for example), but if they found it as abhorrent as most people on this site, there certainly would have been a different outcome in that election.
...and to preempt those who like to take my words out of context: yes, retaliating against Disney for speaking out against the education legislation also flew in the face of American principles.

ElvisMickey

Who does like DeSantis? Unless you into that fascist type of thing.
Oh boy. Some of us appreciate that he didnā€™t shut our state down during COVID. Which Disney should appreciate as well since they were only making bank out of Florida, as opposed to Californiaā€¦

csmat99

I agree with all that, but none of it matters to become president unfortunately. Dude couldn't even win a debate with Charlie Crist and he still won. So, actual skill and knowledge of the job doesn't matter.
In florida yes I agree but not nationally. Plus Crist was bad candidate to go against him. the democratic party in Fla has screwed up for so long esp down in Dade county. If they ever got their together there would never be a Desantis anymore or very least wouldn't have super majority to do what he wants.

Brian

Oh boy. Some of us appreciate that he didnā€™t shut our state down during COVID. Which Disney should appreciate as well since they were only making bank out of Florida, as opposed to Californiaā€¦
The best fascists are the ones who allow businesses to open up. ;)

csmat99

Remember 2016?
I do. Trump actually is good debating because he just ignores the question and/or just says it's a lie again and again. The problem with 2016 which Hillary admitted was she was playing by the old rules and played nice and didn't go after Trump. She also thought like most people did that there is no way a normal person would vote for him. she was right in a way she won the popular vote but missed out on the states she didn't spend enough effort like PA.

sullyinMT

Disney did appreciate it. They used the parks being open in FL as a way to try and lean on CA to allow DL to open, and to some extent the CDC with cruises. That doesnā€™t mean they canā€™t disagree with other actions the state has taken.

I love my parents for the stable home and loving upbringing they gave me. It doesnā€™t mean they had carte blanche to use my identity in their time of financial hardship. Nor does it mean they were past forgiveness, much the way Iger hinted that Disney still has strong business affiliations with FL current climate aside.

Stripes

My guess is that it's Disney's strategy to get the state to sue.

If I understand correctly, the federal courts can't get involved when a citizen sues a state, under the 11th Amendment (cite)

Buf if the state sues, it's the plantiff and the state waives its right to immunity under the 11th Amendment.

So if the state sues, Disney can move the suits to the federal level. The federal courts would likely look at all of this much, much differently.
Not quite. Disney entered the contract with RCID under their subsidiary Walt Disney Parks and Resorts U.S., Inc. which is based in Lake Buena Vista. The 11th Amendment only limits federal jurisdiction over cases brought against a state by residents of other states and citizens of foreign states.

Disney can still bring a lawsuit against the state in federal court which would be critical in the event that Florida passed a law attempting to void Disneyā€™s contracts with RCID, as DeSantis is suggesting, which would be in violation of the contracts clause and potentially the equal protection clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

My guess is that it's Disney's strategy to get the state to sue.

If I understand correctly, the federal courts can't get involved when a citizen sues a state, under the 11th Amendment (cite)

Buf if the state sues, it's the plantiff and the state waives its right to immunity under the 11th Amendment.

So if the state sues, Disney can move the suits to the federal level. The federal courts would likely look at all of this much, much differently.
Florida is currently enjoined from enforcing the Stop WOKE Act by a federal court. The Eleventh Amendment does not allow states to violate federal law, which includes the US constitution. Thatā€™s why a First Amendment case was really the only federal avenue previously available. That lawsuit by three citizens over dissolution was tossed from federal court because it was only about state matters, there was no federal law involved.

Disney Glimpses

Some of you folks are drinking way too much Disney Kool-Aid.
I spend more time criticizing Disney than I do defending it. I think most people here can say that. And regardless of your views on HB 1557, it does not excuse the blatant abuse of power that is being put on display by Governor Ron DeSantis. It's a dangerous precedent that should anger every American.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There has been ongoing controversy in Florida for years regarding taxability of the components of bundled hotel packages state rate vs TAT vs non taxable. This would not only affect Disney but other travel ā€œshellā€ companies in Florida. This is what heā€™s speaking of.
What does this mean? Can you give us more details? It sounds like you are saying this is something that was being looked at already that would impact Disney as well as others as opposed to something specifically designed to punish Disney where others impacted would just be collateral damage.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Elections are not as black and white as most people think.

Remember 2016?

It's important to remember - Trump didn't win a majority of even the GOP votes. 55% of the GOP primary voters voted against him (and he wouldn't have even gotten that high had the others conceded the race) but because of the fact that there were 3 other candidates in the race for a long time, it split the vote and Trump was the recipient of that.

A couple things here:
  • No, Disney does not have the "right" to control its own local government. The privilege of doing so was conferred back in the 60s by the legislature. I don't have a "right" to start my own special district without the approval of the legislature and sign-off by the governor.
  • Disney will indeed likely win this fight in the end, as there were multiple legal and even constitutional lines crossed by the state by messing with RCID when they did. The case is further strengthened by the statements they made at the time, and even continue to make to this day.
  • The voters have absolutely no obligation to "accept" Disney controlling their own government. The government serves at the pleasure of the constituency. Suggesting that the voters must accept the will of a private corporation simply by virtue of their size and economic influence flies in the face of American principles.

Voters had an opportunity to make their voices heard mere months after the RCID dissolution legislation passed, and if they found the actions of DeSantis and the legislature distasteful, they could have elected new leadership. Instead, they reelected DeSantis by a nearly 20% margin, and elected even more Republicans to the legislature.

Now, this is certainly not to say that each and every person who went out to vote for DeSantis or a Republican for their state representative or senator agreed with the RCID dissolution (take me for example), but if they found it as abhorrent as most people on this site, there certainly would have been a different outcome in that election.
...and to preempt those who like to take my words out of context: yes, retaliating against Disney for speaking out against the education legislation also flew in the face of American principles.

RCID wasn't much in the news leading up to the election. I have a hard time believing that anywhere close to a majority based their vote on that.

DeSantis' popularity in FL is overstated. His poll numbers jumped way up after the hurricane, which is a common political effect (rally behind a leader based on response to a tragedy). DeSantis would have won regardless, as he had earned some goodwill and Crist was an awful candidate, but the margin of victory would have been a lot smaller had the hurricane not occured two weeks before the election.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom