News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

ElvisMickey

Yes, if the reason for the change is to retaliate against Disney for protected speech.

But, the state didn’t bring Disney down to everyone else’s standard, the state brought them below everyone else by requiring the governor to appoint unelected political cronies to oversee Disney’s operation and tax dollars without any Disney representation.
Maybe Disney should stay out of politics? It probably shouldn’t amaze me how ignorant so many of you are here.

The bottom line doesn’t lie and Disney is butt hurt right now. Universal can give them a pep talk.

Happy Easter ✌🏼 🐰!

lazyboy97o

Yes, if the reason for the change is to retaliate against Disney for protected speech.

But, the state didn’t bring Disney down to everyone else’s standard, the state brought them below everyone else by requiring the governor to appoint unelected political cronies to oversee Disney’s operation and tax dollars without any Disney representation.
Just ignore that those other parks are planned developments with pre-approved zoning.

Cliff

Can all the people that say: "DeSantis this" or "DeSantis that".....just replace that name with "59.4% of Florida voters"

Love him or hate him....both are fine. He is literally a represntative of almost 60% of the voting citizens of Florida. He is doing what his voters put him in office to do.

Its NOT "Disney vs DeSantis"....it's really "Disney vs 60% of Florida voters"

Disstevefan1

Maybe Disney should stay out of politics? It probably shouldn’t amaze me how ignorant so many of you are here.

The bottom line doesn’t lie and Disney is butt hurt right now. Universal can give them a pep talk.

Happy Easter ✌🏼 🐰!
EatingPopcorn.gif

lazyboy97o

Arguably they had an unfair advantage in their favor, but now it's completely flipped to the state having a hugely unfair advantage over Disney. There needs to be a more balanced approach, if any. I would suggest the CFTOD be represented by all major theme park players in the area as well as some local elected officials from the surrounding counties.
What unfair advantage? Reedy Creek Improvement District introduced a regulatory environment where one largely did not exist.

Extending the district to include other parks would be a quagmire. They have and have had services available to them. And it makes no sense to give officials from other places power outside their jurisdiction.

Chip Chipperson

Happy Easter ✌🏼 🐰!
So you want fascism in America? "Don't speak out against the government or they'll punish you." That's the message here.

GrumpyFan

What unfair advantage? Reedy Creek Improvement District introduced a regulatory environment where one largely did not exist.

Extending the district to include other parks would be a quagmire. They have and have had services available to them. And it makes no sense to give officials from other places power outside their jurisdiction.

My comment was more general in regards to the nature of the founding of the "Central Florida Tourism Oversight District" whose name conveys more authority and a wider reach than they actually have. I think the idea of such a board could be a good thing, even though my conservative side would oppose the govt expansion, but if such a thing were enacted that would be the ideal makeup.

In regards to the present setup though, I agree with you that it would not make sense.

Sorry for the confusion.

Riviera Rita

Happy Easter ✌🏼 🐰!
What Disney said was not political, it was a moral stand.
I was shocked to learn that Ronnie's laws had the, thankfully only temporary, removal of children's books about Roberto Clemente and Wilma Rudolph from school libraries. It's also censoring great art works like Michaelangelo's 'David' for goodness sake.
No offense, but, firearms do more damage to kids in school, waiting for the ban on them.

Chip Chipperson

Can all the people that say: "DeSantis this" or "DeSantis that".....just replace that name with "59.4% of Florida voters"

Love him or hate him....both are fine. He is literally a represntative of almost 60% of the voting citizens of Florida. He is doing what his voters put him in office to do.

Its NOT "Disney vs DeSantis"....it's really "Disney vs 60% of Florida voters"
There was nothing on the ballot about Disney during either of the elections he won. Don't make the mistake of assuming people only vote for a candidate if they agree with 100% of the things they say and do (or what they think they'll say and do in the future). The phrase "the lesser of 2 evils" is a saying for a reason. Also you could rephrasewhat you said to say, "54% of the people oppose free speech," based on your logic but I'd bet that isn't the case - and even if it was it wouldn't matter because the First Amendment exists to prevent such abuse of power.

Cliff

Happy Easter ✌🏼 🐰!
I disagree. I dont think Disney is "butt hurt" today at all.

People on YouTube keep saying that Disney is in a "panic" right now. No...they are not. They are not worried, not scared, not concerned at all. Disney will remodel itself and adjust it's structure but it will 100% continue it's march forward. It's message will not be changed and it will not waiver on its goals. Disney does not "really" fear it's box office sales either. It's all about getting the message out and Disney calculates the acceptance and "cost" of their message delivery PERFRCTLY. Box office success and failure are calculated into their model....well in advance.

Disney is not affraid. They are literally fearless.

MotherSquid

I do wonder…what would the impact of this be on Disney? How much do they actually gain presently from the arrangement. It’s not as though they can flout laws as they see fit, as some imagine. This seems like a political statement to score votes but not something that would have that much real impact…if it even happens.
Disney is the largest taxpayer in Florida. Also the biggest tourism generator. We live in the area & provide engineering services for new construction at WDW & can say absolutely they work at a higher standard than 99% of other industries here. Disney is a great neighbor & community partner, they support schools, the arts, environment. Everything they build exceeds state codes & is reviewed internally at least 3 times. They rarely make mistakes. This takes extra manpower/hours, but they pay their way. They're not taking from local taxpayers, quite the contrary. They made Central Florida what it is, even if their visitors are terrible drivers.
This fight stems from us having a bitter vindictive gov who has delusions he's king, & Disney dared disagree very publically w his petty bitter culture attacks, many based on falsehoods. Good for Disney. desantis has shown himself to be more than willing to hurt whoever he wants. This is not a good leadership quality. He won an easy race after barely winning his 1st run, but ppl are disgusted that he's let utilities & insurance ruin ppls lives &:he's coming for DocSec & Medicare. He's got skeletons, too, & will likely face some problems before '24.
Leave Disney alone ron. They're good for us.
BTW, The Villages has the same arrangement w the state as Disney, will he come for them next?

lazyboy97o

There was nothing on the ballot about Disney during either of the elections he won. Don't make the mistake of assuming people only vote for a candidate if they agree with 100% of the things they say and do (or what they think they'll say and do in the future). The phrase "the lesser of 2 evils" is a saying for a reason. Also you could rephrasewhat you said to say, "54% of the people oppose free speech," based on your logic but I'd bet that isn't the case - and even if it was it wouldn't matter because the First Amendment exists to prevent such abuse of power.
The minimum wage amendment passed during the same election.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom