News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Disstevefan1

A news source is supposed to deliver news. They’re not supposed to instruct their employees to make up lies so their viewers (who they called “crazies”) won’t change the channel and lose them profit. That couldn’t be further from reality.

They’re not serving their customer base. They’re manipulating their base and letting them believe they’re getting news, when in actuality, they’re getting propaganda that makes them feel good and therefore makes the company money.
This is where robots would come in handy because all humans are biased.

But then again robots are programmed by humans… nevermind.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They lie to us all the time!

Examples; the Play pavilion, the Mary Poppins attraction, the new theater for the Magic Kingdom, park pass reservations are good, Genie+ is an improvement over FastPass+, the big beautiful free plastic bags are being eliminated to help the environment, The Journey of Water was always going to have the Moana IP attached to it (oh wait, that last one was true).

But anyway, you know what I mean.
I wouldn’t say a planned attraction being cancelled is an example of a lie. Plans change. The plastic bag thing is a national trend in many places so hard to pin on Disney. Genie+ is an improvement over FP+….hard to argue on that one IMHO but that’s expressing an opinion as a fact more than lying. I suppose it’s possible someone out there like Genie+ better.

MagicHappens1971

I hate to get into semantics, but they lying isn't really the right word.
Examples; the Play pavilion, the Mary Poppins attraction, the new theater for the Magic Kingdom
All planned attractions that due to financial/developmental choices have that now either been paused or canceled.
Lying would be announcing these attractions with 0 intention of ever building them, that's not what happened.
park pass reservations are good,
Park passes "manage attendance to maximize guest experience yadyayaya", not really lying.
Genie+ is an improvement over FastPass+,
Imagine you're a big corporation and are creating a new product that is ild inferior to it's predecessor, would you come out and say that? As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't say they ever said it was an improvement.
the big beautiful free plastic bags are being eliminated to help the environment.
Plastic bags being eliminated to help the environment isn't not true?
I'm not always quick to defend TWDC in recent years, but this post isn't really in the best light.

MagicHappens1971

Example questions:

Do you like live action remakes of classic Disney animated films?
Do you prefer sequels of classic Disney animated films or new story telling?
Questions like these are why Disney does what you set up in your next post.
They should work to attract the widest ranges of customers.
This is one of the reasons Disney makes remakes, to attract new fans and old, one of the reasons Disney is striving to be more inclusive, with films like Turning Red and Wish. When people see themselves in the characters being put out by the media, they identify with them and want to know more.

Disney does work to attract the widest range of customers. Those who feel Disney has gone "woke" may claim to stop giving Disney their money, but they probably don't. In recent years, Disney has accounted for between 25% - 40% of box office money. They own ABC, ESPN and multiple other TV subsidiaries.

I for one feel that in recent years Disney has appealed to more audiences then before, especially for those films after Princess and the Frog, Disney didn't make too many "boy-oriented" films prior, which is why they chose the names "Tangled" and "Frozen" for those films. Aside from Cars & Toy Story I wouldn't say many of Disney's early works appealed to "boys". Disney has now made more animated films to appeal to more audiences, as well as owning the Star Wars, Marvel and Indiana Jones franchises to name a few.

peter11435

Examples; the Play pavilion, the Mary Poppins attraction, the new theater for the Magic Kingdom, park pass reservations are good, Genie+ is an improvement over FastPass+, the big beautiful free plastic bags are being eliminated to help the environment, The Journey of Water was always going to have the Moana IP attached to it (oh wait, that last one was true).

I mean most of those weren’t lies. They were real projects. Sometimes plans change.

donaldtoo

The facts can be that there are more than one view point.

What the heck does that even mean…?!?!?!
Viewpoints have nothing to do with actually reporting truthful, straight up facts.
Anything otherwise is an opinion piece, and needs to be identified as such.
I have zero problem with editorializing, but, at least acknowledge that that’s what you’re doing.

scottieRoss

Those tracts of land between Epcot and Fort Wilderness are not exactly private owners. The Golden Oak properties were removed from the district
the deeds for the plots are restricted that they can not be homesteaded, but they are deeded to individuals.
The RCID map shows that Golden Oak was removed from the District, but the golf course and a few parcels next to them are deeded to HHR FSO from Bethesda Maryland

Disstevefan1

I wouldn’t say a planned attraction being cancelled is an example of a lie. Plans change. The plastic bag thing is a national trend in many places so hard to pin on Disney. Genie+ is an improvement over FP+….hard to argue on that one IMHO but that’s expressing an opinion as a fact more than lying. I suppose it’s possible someone out there like Genie+ better.
Hmmm, I am still calling “Genie+ is better” a lie 😉

I just thought of a lie I would want Disney to tell me. “The Osborne light are returning in some form in the future”.

Hmmmm, having said that, no, that won’t work because even when a company I like and I follow says something I know is a lie, I realize it’s a lie and move on, but I am still a fan of the company.

There are msny things TWDC does, like the money grabs, I do not like, but it would take a lot to totally turn me off.

We as a family have not been to the theater to see a Disney movie since before the pandemic and it’s really because we love to watch from home. If it’s on D+ it’s “free” and if we must pay to view it on the stream, it’s still a fraction of the cost compared to going to the theater AND you have pause and rewind!!

Hmmm…

Do you think some day they will disable pause and rewind on pay per view streaming?

I mean like the old days of pay per view events, the event was live, no pause, no rewind. There is nothing stopping them from simulating that by simply disabling rewind and pause on the stream, thereby making the streaming experience a little “less better” then the theater to bring in more folks to the theater and/or thinking folks would pay for additional views because of the loss of rewind and pause?

Disstevefan1

I mean most of those weren’t lies. They were real projects. Sometimes plans change.
Whatever we want to label somthing they announce at D23 and never do it is fine, I am used to it and still am a fan and a follower of the company. One can recognize inaccurate info and can still be a fan and follower of a company.

drnilescrane

The discourse with the Poppins attraction annoyed me because want it both ways. You don't think Chapek was also upset that after announcing the attraction, all that WDI was able to spit out was a $100m spinner? Of course they canceled the project at the point it was no longer value for money.

MagicHappens1971

The discourse with the Poppins attraction annoyed me because want it both ways. You don't think Chapek was also upset that after announcing the attraction,
This project was put on hold because of the pandemic.
all that WDI was able to spit out was a $100m spinner?
We don’t even know if that’s true, and it was supposed to be a minor attraction. We don’t even know what the budget was. While I agree costs have gotten outrageously inflated at WDI, we don’t know that’s what happened here.
Of course they canceled the project at the point it was no longer value for money.
They cancelled this projected because they didn’t want to spend the money.

peter11435

Whatever we want to label somthing they announce at D23 and never do it is fine, I am used to it and still am a fan and a follower of the company. One can recognize inaccurate info and can still be a fan and follower of a company.
It wasn’t a lie. When they announced it they fully intended to do it. In some cases such as with the play pavilion there is even physical elements completed. Some times plans change and projects get cancelled. That doesn’t make them lies

peter11435

the deeds for the plots are restricted that they can not be homesteaded, but they are deeded to individuals.
The RCID map shows that Golden Oak was removed from the District, but the golf course and a few parcels next to them are deeded to HHR FSO from Bethesda Maryland
Do you know who those individuals are? They are not just random owners. It’s all very deliberate. Those individuals are the former board members of the Reedy Creek Improvement District

Incomudro

What the heck does that even mean…?!?!?!
Viewpoints have nothing to do with actually reporting truthful, straight up facts.
Anything otherwise is an opinion piece, and needs to be identified as such.
I have zero problem with editorializing, but, at least acknowledge that that’s what you’re doing.
You're talking about a lost art, I'm afraid.
Something so far removed from the present time that it no longer computes for some.
Just straight up giving the public the facts of a story as best they can be ascertained and letting the public come to their own conclusions.

donaldtoo

Something so far removed from the present time that it no longer computes for some.
Just straight up giving the public the facts of a story as best they can be ascertained and letting the public come to their own conclusions.

And, that is just sad, on top of sad, with extra sad sauce.
I weep for my children’s and grandchildren’s futures.

GimpYancIent

If multiple sources (i.e. different news sources) are listened to, usually the facts begin to stand out from the non-fact. Unfortunately, too many people find the melodramatic non-fact stuff more interesting than the truth.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hmmm, I am still calling “Genie+ is better” a lie 😉
I definitely agree if they are saying that. It’s clearly more profitable for the company but I see no valid way to sell it as better for guests. I was hopeful that maybe part of Iger’s pulling back on “money grabs” like parking fees would include a return to some form of FP+.
I think it’s disappointing when a project is announced and then it falls through, but I still that is different than lying. If they add something in at D23 that they have no intention of actually building then that would be a lie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom