News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

donaldtoo

When reporters report on facts to expose an elected official then sadly the viewing audience at times forms an opinion that the journalists in general are out to get a certain Individual. It adds fuel to the fire when someone lights a match and calls out the media as " enemy of the people" and some fall for and drink the Kool-Aid.

Wow. My post couldn’t have been any more straightforward…
Report ALL the facts of a news story, then editorialize elsewhere if you feel necessary.
It can’t get any more simple… report the facts, only the facts, and ALL the facts. Editorialize as you wish while admitting it’s your opinion, and nothing else. Is that too simple for most, these days…?!?!?!

JoeCamel

Taking this in a different direction - one of the weird takeaways from the first CFTOD meetings was the member's obsession over policing contracts, and making sure they can seize that power from Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista.

Why? I thought maybe at the time it was them trying to look pro first responder and giving a rich contract to the FHP or similar. Maybe creating their own police force they make a show of paying richly.

But part of me wonders if maybe they really did want their own goon squad to send in and shut down conferences and events on the property that they've revoked permits from. Like the Hyatt Regency situation in Miami. It's scary stuff.
If they are following Ronnie's playbook it is in the text to create your own police force that reports only to you. Good little puppets always ape the master just look at Josh and what's her name behind Bob at the park in the last publicity photos. They ape his body language and even dress to some extent.

Lilofan

Wow. My post couldn’t have been any more straightforward…
Report ALL the facts of a news story, then editorialize elsewhere if you feel necessary.
It can’t get any more simple… report the facts, only the facts, and ALL the facts. Editorialize as you wish while admitting it’s your opinion, and nothing else. Is that too simple for most, these days…?!?!?!
They are trying to capture their audience in the way the media does. What you are saying is wishful thinking.

MagicHappens1971

I wonder how much RCID and its powers or actions was an issue to us common folk before Ron's political stunt as it appears to be now.
They were none. If you aren’t a landowner within the limits of RCID, which you aren’t. RCID had no effect on the general public aside from saving the taxpayers of Osceola and Orange Counties a boatload of money.

lazyboy97o

Taking this in a different direction - one of the weird takeaways from the first CFTOD meetings was the member's obsession over policing contracts, and making sure they can seize that power from Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista.

Why? I thought maybe at the time it was them trying to look pro first responder and giving a rich contract to the FHP or similar. Maybe creating their own police force they make a show of paying richly.

But part of me wonders if maybe they really did want their own goon squad to send in and shut down conferences and events on the property that they've revoked permits from. Like the Hyatt Regency situation in Miami. It's scary stuff.
They can’t create their own police force. They also don’t control things like liquor licenses or food and beverage licenses.

The fire department absolutely is their key to controlling events on property. While the hotels typically don’t need to seek permission to host events, the fire department is allowed to enforce the Florida Fire Prevention Code at any time. Finding violations would not be difficult at most events. Disney even has had a problem with Cast Members telling people to park their ECVs outside of their room which is a violation of the life safety code enforced by the fire department.

drnilescrane

They can’t create their own police force.
But Bay Lake and LBV theoretically could, as municipalities?

The district also explicitly has the ability to enter into an inter local agreement in regards to law enforcement. As far as I can tell, Bay Lake and LBV have those contracts in place currently.

Per public statements from the members, this board seems to be taking their statuary responsibility to report back to the legislature potential “improvements” seriously. I.e. they totally were planning to suggest that BL and LBV go away, and they gain the power to control policing contracts.

(I’m operating under the premise here these guys are stupid and are going to ask for what they want, not what is possible or lawful)

Last edited:

scottieRoss

If you are given the land to place your home on for the express purpose of voting as the company wishes for you vote, not necessarily how you would wish to vote yourself, then yes, I do believe they should be denied representation, since in that case, they might as well not have it at all. Disney isn't entitled to a vote due to being a corporation, so they make their employees vote on their behalf, and as they wish for them to vote, in their personal capacity. That is the arrangement within the city limits of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista, again, at least last I heard. Has that changed with the advent of the CFTOD? I'm not sure; I don't think anyone is, really.

If you are given permission to use company land to place your home on, or permission to reside in company owned housing simply because the company provides that as a benefit, that is an entirely different scenario. Your vote would truly be your's; not simply the vote of the company with you as their proxy.
Before you want to talk about a sweetheart deal, you might want to understand how RCID is structured.
Residents do not get to vote for supervisors. Land owners vote with 1 vote per acre or major fraction there of.
Yes there are private landowners within the district. There are a few tracts in the land between EPCOT and Fort Wilderness. In addition, the Condo Associations for the DVC resorts (the DVC Members) own land within the District. Additionally, some of the land surrounding Golden Oak are private owners, not Disney, but within the District. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US Inc. is the largest land owner and votes it votes as it sees fit. As a corporation owning land in the district, it votes as a corporation with votes assigned to each of its parcels.
Those that live on company land do not have any vote in the district. But they do vote in the cities that they live in as residents.

peter11435

Before you want to talk about a sweetheart deal, you might want to understand how RCID is structured.
Residents do not get to vote for supervisors. Land owners vote with 1 vote per acre or major fraction there of.
Yes there are private landowners within the district. There are a few tracts in the land between EPCOT and Fort Wilderness. In addition, the Condo Associations for the DVC resorts (the DVC Members) own land within the District. Additionally, some of the land surrounding Golden Oak are private owners, not Disney, but within the District. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts US Inc. is the largest land owner and votes it votes as it sees fit. As a corporation owning land in the district, it votes as a corporation with votes assigned to each of its parcels.
Those that live on company land do not have any vote in the district. But they do vote in the cities that they live in as residents.
Those tracts of land between Epcot and Fort Wilderness are not exactly private owners. The Golden Oak properties were removed from the district

Stripes

Premium Member
Orlando Sentinel Editorial Board advises DeSantis to take the L and ”let it go.”

Politically, this was such a humiliating blunder by the DeSantis team I think it would be politically wise to reconsider the governor’s historical practice of doubling down. Does he really want voters to be continually reminded of this failure? The legal battle will go on for years. We all know Disney is not going to cave and they obviously have the upper hand in this fight.

Last edited:

Brian

Orlando Sentinel Editorial Board advises DeSantis to take the L and ”let it go.”

Speaking as a DeSantis fan, I would also encourage him to drop it. There are far more pressing and impactful battles to fight right now both in Florida and nationally, and most of his base wouldn't even view this situation as an "L."

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
No. I completely disagree. Actually, good reporting shouldn’t involve anything about viewpoints or opinion. It should only include the facts, and all the facts. No flat-out lying about the facts or lying by omitting facts to slide the story to your particular bent.
Viewpoints and editorials have their place, but, no place in actually reporting the full and total facts of the news of the day.
Again, I could not disagree with you more.
The facts can be that there are more than one view point.

Lilofan

Speaking as a DeSantis fan, I would also encourage him to drop it. There are far more pressing and impactful battles to fight right now both in Florida and nationally, and most of his base wouldn't even view this situation as an "L."
He will have to to play catch up in the polls.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Could be a turning point for his career. If he can’t stop himself and continues this fight it could be the beginning of a downward spiral not unlike Chis Christie with the bridge thing. If he walks away now he just claims victory publicly anyway which the base accepts and he wins points (or avoids losing more points) with independents and moderates in both parties.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Could be a turning point for his career. If he can’t stop himself and continues this fight it could be the beginning of a downward spiral not unlike Chis Christie with the bridge thing. If he walks away now he just claims victory publicly anyway which the base accepts and he wins points (or avoids losing more points) with independents and moderates in both parties.

I've said it elsewhere. Disney could be Capt Ahab DeSantis' whale, and could be his downfall if he's not careful.

I for one won't shed any tears for him.

MagicHappens1971

Disney even has had a problem with Cast Members telling people to park their ECVs outside of their room which is a violation of the life safety code enforced by the fire department.
When I worked at Disney, we were told that it's a fire safety violation for the ECV's to be inside the room and always told guests to leave them outside the room. I wonder where this miscommunication came from.

Disstevefan1

Honest question....who do you think that is?
I won’t try to label their customer base, but theme park guests (like us) is a very large group of people who $pend money on Di$ney!

As much as I dislike being stopped in the park for a survey, maybe they need to go back to that and ask the fans through a survey what they want instead of guessing what they think what we want. Universal Orlando had a good way, you were guided to an Air conditioned room and given “Universal Dollars” for your trouble.

Example questions:

Do you like live action remakes of classic Disney animated films?
Do you prefer sequels of classic Disney animated films or new story telling?
What is the most important aspect of story telling?
What merchandise did you wish Disney had made related to a movie or event that they didn’t?

Also, Universal Orlando had a very cool please you went to preview, in our case, a reality show where you watched the show holding a box with a dial on it and turned it one way for positive feeling and the other for a negative feeling. It was fun, interesting and we got $20 cash each!

It’s the first (and last) time in my life when money went INTO my pocket as a result of visiting a theme park.

Disstevefan1

If lying to and calculatedly manipulating customers is serving them, what exactly is it you want Disney to do?
They lie to us all the time!

Examples; the Play pavilion, the Mary Poppins attraction, the new theater for the Magic Kingdom, park pass reservations are good, Genie+ is an improvement over FastPass+, the big beautiful free plastic bags are being eliminated to help the environment, The Journey of Water was always going to have the Moana IP attached to it (oh wait, that last one was true).

But anyway, you know what I mean.

Disstevefan1

Newsflash.. private companies aren't setup to 'serve' any customers. They work to attract them, provide products or services.

These veiled attempts at trying to critique their creative output or initiatives as some sort of lack of focus or service are pretty pathetic. Just say it and own your coat.
They should work to attract the widest ranges of customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom