News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Brian

Any new district requires state approval and officials have already stated that would be contingent on being able to censor Disney’s production.
It seems that there might have been a change of heart in that regard given that the governor has indicated there will be new districts formed, presumably including Disney.

Will there be strings attached? Perhaps. But a new district is on the table.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
You don’t think a court would admit statements made in the course of legislative proceedings?

Except you're ignoring that these are not just random statements - but statements as part of the actual debate of the action.

This is not a politican just making blowhard statements about what 'should' be done... These are statements made by actors WHILE THEY DO IT.

Your statement that it's not in the law itself and hence not relevant is blatantly untrue.

Anything can be submitted to the court for consideration. I never stated otherwise.

Doesn't mean it will be considered.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If the district is not dissolved but Disney pays more in taxes and the taxes are paid to RCID isn’t that essentially Disney paying more taxes to themselves? That will teach em 🤔🤦‍♂️
They are simply postulating that by forcing them to the table to redefine the district... they would force new provisions that would funnel more money OUT of RCID through avenues yet to be defined.

Yet, the idea of creating taxes by one authority that isn't used by that authority is a dark dark space.

TrojanUSC

I keep hearing about Disney's right to free speech and I agree its their right to disagree with the law. I think Chapeks big mistake was vowing to support any and all groups in getting the law overturned. This goes beyond freedom of speech IMO.

So just to be clear people protesting Jim Crow laws in the 60s or women advocating to change laws regarding voting rights should have had the government pass specific laws targeting them because they dared speak out? That’s Putin or North Korea type stuff. We are a government of the people, by the people and for the people. Don’t like law? It’s your right to challenge it and speak out about I.

The Mom

Premium Member
Again, stay on topic. Reedy Creek. Not what led up to this, and not how it will have an impact on elections, etc. Just how will it impact WDW, The Disney corporation, the adjacent counties, the state and it's residents, the guests, and the Disney employees.

And please treat other posters with courtesy- even if you think they don't deserve it!

I'm reposting this for posters who have arrived "late to the party."

If the district is not dissolved but Disney pays more in taxes and the taxes are paid to RCID isn’t that essentially Disney paying more taxes to themselves? That will teach em 🤔🤦‍♂️
Neither the county or the Florida gov knows if they are paying more or less or what is going on in RCID. Now if they go to court they will need to open 50 years of records and make that information public. Also they forgot the part that even the federal government owns property inside RCID and get services from it. Maybe they get involved in this crazy situation.

JoeCamel

Neither the county or the Florida gov knows if they are paying more or less or what is going on in RCID. Now if they go to court they will need to open 50 years of records and make that information public. Also they forgot the part that even the federal government owns property inside RCID and get services from it. Maybe they get involved in this crazy situation.
Read before posting, it will help prevent bad information from being posted to your account.
Google "sunshine laws"

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It’s all public information. Not sure what you mean.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Disney's argument likely will have little to do with the state constitution. Disney probably will frame this as a violation of the 1st Amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech [emphasis added], or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.​

Citizens United suggests that corporations such as Disney have rights that are protected by the 1st Amendment.

A reasonable argument can be made that the State of Florida passed a law that abridged Disney's right to free speech.
Perhaps you can help clear this up for me.

Were the protected statements and/or policy positions from representatives of TWDC or RCID?

Legally, does RCID = TWDC?

Disstevefan1

Somebody needs to fact check this for me. So the Governor will sign the bill to remove RCID.

But is it true that residents if RCID (about 100 folks picked by Disney) must vote and approve this in order for it to actually happen?

If that’s the case there is ZERO chance of RCID getting removed.

To be totally transparent I want it to remain in place so this is good news to me.

It’s all public information. Not sure what you mean.
What I mean is, outside of RCID, who is keeping track of what is going on after 50 years? Even the Orange County mayor couldn't answer the question in a tv interview. Even if the information is public no one is reading it and reviewing it. This situation is a mess that will cost millions of $ in lawyers.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Legally the two are distinct. It doesn’t matter though, the stated purpose was harm to Disney. The use of a third party to inflict the harm is irrelevant.
So, help me to understand.

If I say something but the government passes a law against you and 6 other people...

I can sue the government for violating my first amendment rights? Because you give me a ride to work every morning?

Do I have this right?

lazyboy97o

So, help me to understand.

If I say something but the government passes a law against you and 6 other people...

I can sue the government for violating my first amendment rights? Because you give me a ride to work every morning?

Do I have this right?
If the government revoked my license so I can no longer drive you yes, yes you could still sue because you were impacted.

Now if there was absolutely no impact to you then you might have trouble establishing standing, but myself and the others targeted would still have a case. Going after associates is a classic way governments try to suppress dissent while claiming otherwise.

Chip Chipperson

What I mean is, outside of RCID, who is keeping track of what is going on after 50 years? Even the Orange County mayor couldn't answer the question in a tv interview. Even if the information is public no one is reading it and reviewing it. This situation is a mess that will cost millions of $ in lawyers.

The RCID must submit financial audits to the FL Auditor General every year just like any other municipal entity in the state. So the FL Auditor General is reviewing it. Also, the Municipal Securities Rulemaking Board requires certain disclosures annually for issuers of municipal debt. So that is 2 authorities reviewing their information, plus any banks that have loans out to RCID would be reviewing their information at least annually. None of it is just gathering dust on a shelf as RCID hides their misdeeds in plain sight.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom