News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Of course, there is a difference between (a) doing something because you want it to harm a specific entity and (b) doing something and acknowledging that it will harm a specific entity.

1. We removed Disney's ability to self-govern because it would make their taxes go up.

2. We removed Disney's ability to self-govern and it will cause their taxes to go up.
Except it’s neither. They removed the District to punish Disney and have just announced an intention to raise Disney’s and only Disney’s taxes. They’re two separate actions.

lazyboy97o

I'm just trying to figure out where all of your information is coming from. You reply to post after post making declarations about what is and isn't fact, beating drum after drum about every single legal aspect here, all the rules of taxation, the ins and out of local, state, and national government - and heck, even the US Constitution. You seem to see everything so cut and dry, are correcting and contradicting people left and right - so yes - I'm curious as to what your position is that you are an expert on all of these matters.
If I have made an incorrect statement regarding the District then please point it out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I heard that if this doesn’t work and Disney doesn’t back off the next planned move is the state legislature will pass a bill allowing Riviera owners who bought their points resale to use the points anywhere they want….not just at Riviera. Take that Chapek 😂😂😂😂

AEfx

Well, its made all the major news outlets in the U.K.

The only ones smiling are those working in Glendale who didn’t want to move. Maybe.
Wait, so everyone at Disney isn't doing cartwheels now that they supposedly are saving all these tax dollars because this is such a good thing for them? ;)

Kidding aside - thank you for joining the conversation, and I hope you participate more. You are the first actual expert/insider I've seen comment on this and I value your take tremendously, as usual.

BWV2013

Just re-watched a very interesting video of Walt himself talking about "The Florida Project". Disney World was never intended to be just a theme park. Yes, a park was planned, but the heart of the project was to the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow (EPCOT), a true city not just a park. The Florida project was planned to include an airport, industrial park, whole city and theme park. So, it could be argued that RCID was never intended to support just a giant park, but a real city. With this in mind, should Disney still have the authority to operate their own improvement district? It was intended to be controlled by the residents that live there, that NEVER happened.

lazyboy97o

Just re-watched a very interesting video of Walt himself talking about "The Florida Project". Disney World was never intended to be just a theme park. Yes, a park was planned, but the heart of the project was to the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow (EPCOT), a true city not just a park. The Florida project was planned to include an airport, industrial park, whole city and theme park. So, it could be argued that RCID was never intended to support just a giant park, but a real city. With this in mind, should Disney still have the authority to operate their own improvement district? It was intended to be controlled by the residents that live there, that NEVER happened.
You should give the District Charter and the ruling on Florida v. Reedy Creek Improvement District a read. The focus is on building tourism, not a specific urban form.

Reedy Creek Improvement District was not intended to be controlled by residents which is why the power is still with the land owners.

ZachPL

Will be interesting to see disney's lawyers thoughts, they can make like 5 different very strong legal arguments against. I'd feel pretty good about that.

BWV2013

You should give the District Charter and the ruling on Florida v. Reedy Creek Improvement District a read. The focus is on building tourism, not a specific urban form.
Thanks for adding that, I should have noted that tourism was a major point of the video. I'm sure that had a big impact on the initial passage of RCID.

flynnibus

Premium Member
With this in mind, should Disney still have the authority to operate their own improvement district? It was intended to be controlled by the residents that live there, that NEVER happened.

An interesting discussion the state could have had at anytime in the last 40 years since we knew EPCOT the city wasn't going to happen. Yet... for some reason... this realization that RCID shouldn't exist just popped into the GOP's mind recently.. and were so excited by the idea they even fit it in a special session of the state house. Amazing how ideas move so fast through government isn't it??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom