News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Lilofan

Yes, but I think it would be challenging for a district with nearly no residents to argue they need affordable housing; and that there is no where else it could be built.
Affordable housing has its pros and cons. Pros to give potential residents opportunity to live paying lower rents, the cons is current residents don’t care for it due to affordable housing may deteriorate property values, more traffic, crime , congestion.

DisneyDreamerxyz

There's nothing being built there. At least there wasn't Thursday morning. Explains the elementary school under construction in Hickory Cove.

I need to snag the "Entering RCID" sign on Hertzog ASAP. 😉
Disney owns that entire area and I read an article that said they plan to fill in those water treatment pond things as they do not need them. The community meeting with Imagineering that was held in September did not go well - https://www.horizonwestinfo.com/com...ct-residents-disappointed-in-lack-of-details/

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Affordable housing has its pros and cons. Pros to give potential residents opportunity to live paying lower rents, the cons is current residents don’t care for it due to affordable housing may deteriorate property values, more traffic, crime , congestion.

The existing housing in that area on Hertzog is apartments.

My concern would be traffic. Hertzog is a 2 lane road with a 40 mph speed limit. And idiots love to speed and pass on the curves.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Disney owns that entire area and I read an article that said they plan to fill in those water treatment pond things as they do not need them. The community meeting with Imagineering that was held in September did not go well - https://www.horizonwestinfo.com/com...ct-residents-disappointed-in-lack-of-details/

The residents in that area just beyond RCID on Hertzog live in apartments. The only housing in Flamingo Crossings is the College Program apartments. There is a new development west of Flamingo Crossings on Flamingo Crossings...but it's waaaay west.

I agree with the student about traffic. Lots of kids ride their bikes or scooters to the schools in the area. Hopefully if this development proceeds, a traffic light will be installed.

Lilofan

The existing housing in that area on Hertzog is apartments.

My concern would be traffic. Hertzog is a 2 lane road with a 40 mph speed limit. And idiots love to speed and pass on the curves.
I have traveled when in the area - Poinciana Blvd in Kissimmee and Reams Rd behind MK. Those are death trap roads when one speeds and loses control. Don't know about Hertzog.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I have traveled when in the area - Poinciana Blvd in Kissimmee and Reams Rd behind MK. Those are death trap roads when one speeds and loses control. Don't know about Hertzog.

It changes from a 4 lane road by the hotels and shopping area to a 2 lane road right after.

culturenthrills

LAKid53

Premium Member
Looks like a lot of employees are leaving the district because of the new board

The loss of institutional knowledge is going to hurt the operations of the District. And as we've seen, several Board members aren't the sharpest pencils in the box.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster

After attending several of these meetings I can back up this article. The actual district employees were very proud of the previous system in place and the work they did, and now just feel like political pawns.

Surferboy567

Any predictions on what the end result of all this will be?
Spitballing but I foresee two scenarios. Once this is all said and done. Keep in mind this will probably take lots more time to be “finished”.

A.) DeSantis’s board wins the lawsuit. They try and make Disney’s life a living hell in the state of Florida. Raise taxes, inact policies whatever they can do in order to slow them down. All under the guise of not having one company have a “competitive advantage”. Most employees of the district will leave as they are not fans of the new board. Once a new governor comes into the state of Florida it is possible that the hostile tone will stop. Park investment is hampered and dramatically slows down as it has to go though the board.

B.) Disney wins and the board is reverted back to the way it was. So much has changed I don’t know how this could be done. Perhaps an injunction is ordered so the state can not pull any more funny business.

EDIT: Whatever happens this will be a landmark case in free speech.

Last edited:

Figgy1

The loss of institutional knowledge is going to hurt the operations of the District. And as we've seen, several Board members aren't the sharpest pencils in the box.
Should Disney win the federal suit will this be part of the damages they're seeking? Fixing the damage the board has done to district operations isn't going to be cheap

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Spitballing but I foresee two scenarios. Once this is all said and done. Keep in mind this will probably take lots more time to be “finished”.

A.) DeSantis’s board wins the lawsuit. They try and make Disney’s life a living hell in the state of Florida. Raise taxes, inact policies whatever they can do in order to slow them down. All under the guise of not having one company have a “competitive advantage”. Most employees of the district will leave as they are not fans of the new board. Once a new governor comes into the state of Florida it is possible that the hostile tone will stop. Park investment is hampered and dramatically slows down as it has to go though the board.

B.) Disney wins and the board is reverted back to the way it was. So much has changed I don’t know how this could be done. Perhaps an injunction is ordered so the state can not pull any more funny business.

EDIT: Whatever happens this will be a landmark case in free speech.

With two separate lawsuits going on, what happens if the victories are opposite of each other?

Surferboy567

With two separate lawsuits going on, what happens if the victories are opposite of each other?
I have no idea just spitballing.

I assume that the most likely situation is that DeSantis wins the state case and Disney wins in federal court. I’m not sure how that shakes out though in the situation you described.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
From article:

“The legacy of this special district is being destroyed by those who have been placed in power here,” wrote a former executive assistant. “The BOS [Board of Supervisors] and the new District Administrator could care less about the work that needs to be done for the taxpayers. They claim transparency and bridge building, I see non-transparency and bridge burning.”

LAKid53

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom