News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Goofyernmost

For one, to dissolve a municipality will have taxing consequences. By both FL Constitution and statute, a chartered municipality can only be dissolved by:

1. Special session of the Florida Legislature, or
2. Ordinance of the governing body approved by voters within the legal boundaries of that municipality.

I don't think there's any will in the Legislature to dissolve a chartered municipality. Especially with an election coming up.
You guys aren't real good at recognizing sarcasm.

peter11435

Affordable housing would be a public benefit that has passed muster in the house. It would just have to be a classic “project” owned and operated by the government.
Yes, but I think it would be challenging for a district with nearly no residents to argue they need affordable housing; and that there is no where else it could be built.

lewisc

Yes, but I think it would be challenging for a district with nearly no residents to argue they need affordable housing; and that there is no where else it could be built.
My comment was more tongue in cheek but..how many employees, AKA cast members, working in the district are living in cars seedy motels etc. Demonstrating the need for affordable housing wouldn’t be that challenging.

DisneyDreamerxyz

1698463374324.png

The affordable housing is being built in the highlighted land above just north of Flamingo Crossings near the Waterleigh developments off Hartzog Road. Most likely it will just be de-annexed after being built.

They have been having community meetings with Horizon West homeowners to discuss the future project.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Most of the land that we consider to be the parks and the surrounding green acres is owned by Disney. The RCID only owned strips of land along hiways and small plots, unless I'm missing something looking at the maps.

So, within WDW, there's no RCID land that can really by built on. And some of that may be under wetland conservation. And the "11th hour" contract keeps that from happening, too.

That only leaves RCID the option of buying property outside of WDW and building on that in the surrounding towns. You know, build a prison or two nearby or in Gold Oaks.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
View attachment 751242

The affordable housing is being built in the highlighted land above just north of Flamingo Crossings near the Waterleigh developments off Hartzog Road. Most likely it will just be de-annexed after being built.

They have been having community meetings with Horizon West homeowners to discuss the future project.

There's nothing being built there. At least there wasn't Thursday morning. Explains the elementary school under construction in Hickory Cove.

I need to snag the "Entering RCID" sign on Hertzog ASAP. 😉

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Most of the land that we consider to be the parks and the surrounding green acres is owned by Disney. The RCID only owned strips of land along hiways and small plots, unless I'm missing something looking at the maps.

So, within WDW, there's no RCID land that can really by built on. And some of that may be under wetland conservation. And the "11th hour" contract keeps that from happening, too.

That only leaves RCID the option of buying property outside of WDW and building on that in the surrounding towns. You know, build a prison or two nearby or in Gold Oaks.

Yeah, that will go over well. Build a prison next to multi-million dollar homes. See how fast that idea will die.

Unbanshee

View attachment 751242

And that's Disney's affordable housing venture, not CFTOD's

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom