News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Batman'sParents

With two separate lawsuits going on, what happens if the victories are opposite of each other?
Building on this, if for some reason Disney prevails, The district won’t be the same as it was before. Wouldn’t the staff hired on by CFTOD,including the new admin, Not be as cooperative if the district was run under the old setup but this time with CFTOD hired staff?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Building on this, if for some reason Disney prevails, The district won’t be the same as it was before. Wouldn’t the staff hired on by CFTOD,including the new admin, Not be as cooperative if the district was run under the old setup but this time with CFTOD hired staff?
That's very likely, since I'd wager that the CFTOD hired staff were hired for political loyalty and not their ability to get work done.

Lilofan

If we call 911 from a wireless phone we just ask for Reedy Creek and are immediately transferred. All landlines on property immediately connect to RCID EMS. Could possibly save a few seconds but not sure why this needed such a quick turn around that a proper bid wasn’t done.
That's not so bad. Imagine if you live in high property tax area where my friends and family live in the North where there is volunteer fire rescue and volunteer ambulance squad. Good luck having them come quickly in an emergency.

EeyoreFan#24

That's very likely, since I'd wager that the CFTOD hired staff were hired for political loyalty and not their ability to get work done.
I’d guess there’d be another large exodus of people who won’t feel the belong within the current structure.

I’d guess the board would leave or be reappointed to another pet project, since they already indicated there not really interested in just maintaining “ roads and bridges and stuff”. I would envision the next board just wanting to be middle of the road, reasonable, and not looking for media heat. Leading to new direction for staff. The staff would either adjust or find something more comfortable for them. I’d imagine it’s a mix of idea supporters who will feel abandoned, municipal professionals who can go either way but just do their job and some new lifers who are glad they got a good government gig and will have to be forced out to open that position.

But again, just my guess.

JoeCamel

That's not so bad. Imagine if you live in high property tax area where my friends and family live in the North where there is volunteer fire rescue and volunteer ambulance squad. Good luck having them come quickly in an emergency.
Thats what they get for choosing to live in the sticks, not the same

lewisc

Response is rapid.

The real issue is in areas like Manhattan. Cars are unwilling or unable to pull over. NYC uses full-time paid ambulance drivers and EMT. Traffic conditions, not the employment status of the drivers is the issue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Could possibly save a few seconds but not sure why this needed
But I also think it's fair to say that as a consumer - you probably don't have the visibility into all the scenarios or permutations their system supports. And we can safely assume they know far more about the actual results in practice than we do.

Ripken10

Response is rapid.

The real issue is in areas like Manhattan. Cars are unwilling or unable to pull over. NYC uses full-time paid ambulance drivers and EMT. Traffic conditions, not the employment status of the drivers is the issue.
To piggyback on his, I completely agree (I also know quite a few paid and volunteer fire fighters/paramedics).

I lived in an area that utilized volunteer services, and when a truck ran a red light and hit me as I crossed the road as a pedestrian at 50 mph (the truck, not me), it took the volunteers 11 minutes to get me airborne en route to the hospital once the 911 call was made, which saved my life despite the scene being over 5 miles from the station. Traffic conditions, a bit of luck, etc have a much bigger effect then their pay status. Heck, some volunteers are some of the most dedicated, enthusiastic people you will ever meet.

lewisc

But I also think it's fair to say that as a consumer - you probably don't have the visibility into all the scenarios or permutations their system supports. And we can safely assume they know far more about the actual results in practice than we do.
Many of us are cynical. Many of us have no doubt giving $$$ to politcal cronies was the reason. Many of us assume knowledge of the needs had no part in the discussion.
Loopholes were used to avoid public notice, bidding and proposals from multiple vendors.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster

You edited what I said, my issue is that a proper bid wasn’t done. Screenshot below so people can see what I actually said.

75F286CA-B918-4A85-9D7B-74E537F90DF4.jpeg

mikejs78

Premium Member
You mean the incompetent cronies with no experience who have demonstrated that they are in over their heads know about the results in practice?

If they are going to go around the process, they should show their work - demonstrate where the problems are with public data.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You edited what I said, my issue is that a proper bid wasn’t done. Screenshot below so people can see what I actually said.

View attachment 751691
I did not edit what you said - I focused it.. and your response actually tries to counter exactly what I was highlighting was wrong with your statement.

Just because that's how YOU use 911 - doesn't mean that is inclusive of all the scenarios THEY actually support and their requirements.. or how your anecdotal evidence aligns with all performance.

flynnibus

Premium Member
You mean the incompetent cronies with no experience who have demonstrated that they are in over their heads know about the results in practice?

If they are going to go around the process, they should show their work - demonstrate where the problems are with public data.

They already cited a problem - the manual transfer, and citing that Orange County's pickup rate was below the state standard. - cued up section

If you believe it is critical enough or not - certainly up to your interpretation. But to say "well I never have a problem with 911" and to say "show your work"... Well, those aren't really well founded arguments given the cites we have today.

I already pointed out the District's procurement policy specifically allows this, and pointed out how months ago they laid out the reasoning for an urgent need as well.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I did not edit what you said - I focused it.. and your response actually tries to counter exactly what I was highlighting was wrong with your statement.

Just because that's how YOU use 911 - doesn't mean that is inclusive of all the scenarios THEY actually support and their requirements.. or how your anecdotal evidence aligns with all performance.
Whatever

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

I've been through the merger of 2 state agencies. Sat on several committees formed to study how each agency operated in a particular arena and determine the BMPs for those joint functions.

Also was part of a group to review, acquire and implement a new financial system as part of the university's separation from SAMAS.

I KNOW how the procurement process should work in government. Where's the feasibility study that determined a new emergency system was needed? Where's the cost benefit analysis? Where's the RFP?

CFTOD, in SPITE of what its board members may think, is NOT a private sector entity. It is a unit of government. And thus must conform to state regulations and best practices.

This smacks of cronyism.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've been through the merger of 2 state agencies. Sat on several committees formed to study how each agency operated in a particular arena and determine the BMPs for those joint functions.

Also was part of a group to review, acquire and implement a new financial system as part of the university's separation from SAMAS.
That's great - how does that qualify you to counter the statements made about this particular E911 situation and it's performance and needs?

Maybe focus that experience in dissecting how the District can have a written procurement policy that directly contradicts the statue you cited? Maybe they as a municipality are different from a state agency.... Their approval and bidding requirements differ from your cited statute.

I KNOW how the procurement process should work in government. Where's the feasibility study that determined a new emergency system was needed? Where's the cost benefit analysis? Where's the RFP?
They already said this is a byproduct of their movement off the Disney Internet system. What specifics about that vs the phone network is not communicated in that detail. But it's not out of left field... considering the systems are all likely VoIP and thus the design of the IP network is inter-related.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They already cited a problem - the manual transfer, and citing that Orange County's pickup rate was below the state standard. - cued up section

Given that Gleason has repeatedly made statements in those meetings that are misleading, misdirection, or outright lies, you'll excuse me for not taking his comments at state value. Data should be shown.

I already pointed out the District's procurement policy specifically allows this, and pointed out how months ago they laid out the reasoning for an urgent need as well.

A policy does not override a statute. From the CFTOD enabling act:

Section 61. Construction of district projects.—The Legislature finds and declares that in order to accomplish the purposes of this act, it is essential that the board of supervisors have discretion and authority with respect to the manner in which the construction of the projects of the district, including, but not limited to, projects financed by district bonds, taxes, or assessments, shall be undertaken. The board of supervisors shall have power and authority to acquire, construct, reconstruct, extend, repair, improve, maintain, and operate any of the projects of the district, and to that end to employ contractors, to purchase machinery, to employ machinery operators, and directly to have charge of and construct the projects of the district in such manner as the board may determine. The district may undertake any construction work with its own resources, without public advertisement for bids. However, if the district does not use its own resources to undertake any construction work, the board of supervisors must let contracts for the projects of the district, either as a whole or in sections, with public advertising and the receiving of bids, all on such terms and conditions as the board may deem appropriate. The board of supervisors shall let the contract to the lowest responsible and responsive bidder. However, the board may in its discretion reject any and all bids.
[/QUOTE/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom