News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

jeanericuser001

As usual nepotism reigns supreme. Even the name of the guy involved in this shady deal sounds like a mob name. Maybe when desantis leaves we should officially have a special toilet at disney called the Desantis monument. Im sure there will be plenty of people eager to leave their mark on the Desantis monument whether it be 1 or 2.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

tissandtully

This story only infers nefarious behavior... yet lacks critical elements like
- Citing how the behavior is actually not allowed
- Citing what standards they failed to follow

We all know the general idea of bidding - but does anyone here (or the reporter!) know what the ACTUAL requirements are for a Florida Gov entity in this kind of situation and size of contract?
I don't know why you are trying to assign innocent intentions to this, there has never been any, it's always been a clown show of "rules for thee but not for me"

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't know why you are trying to assign innocent intentions to this, there has never been any, it's always been a clown show of "rules for thee but not for me"

Because beliefs should be based on facts - not just 'they are bad guys' associations. People leap all the time and we get endless parroting of basically garbage because people want to believe the hype more than they care to actually know something.

James Alucobond

I don't see that post as attempting to assign innocent intentions. The poster is just pointing out that saying it "looks bad" or "seems suspicious" without referring to a specific rule, ordinance, standard, covenant, or whatever that was broken is exactly what the current board keeps doing. Insinuation of wrongdoing when no disallowed behavior actually occurred is what we should be avoiding.

tissandtully

Because beliefs should be based on facts - not just 'they are bad guys' associations. People leap all the time and we get endless parroting of basically garbage because people want to believe the hype more than they care to actually know something.
Fine, but I think we know how this is gonna end. I haven't been given any evidence otherwise these folks are working with good intentions or are honest at all. Happy to be proven wrong though.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I don't see that post as attempting to assign innocent intentions. The poster is just pointing out that saying it "looks bad" or "seems suspicious" without referring to a specific rule, ordinance, standard, covenant, or whatever that was broken is exactly what the current board keeps doing. Insinuation of wrongdoing when no disallowed behavior actually occurred is what we should be avoiding.

I'm sorry, but a no-bid contract in the amount of $1M (will end up being more) for emergency services awarded to a member of the Ethics Commission does NOT pass the smell test. While members of the Ethics Commission do not receive a salary, they are compensated for travel and per diem expenses.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
As usual nepotism reigns supreme. Even the name of the guy involved in this shady deal sounds like a mob name. Maybe when desantis leaves we should officially have a special toilet at disney called the Desantis monument. Im sure there will be plenty of people eager to leave their mark on the Desantis monument whether it be 1 or 2.
Nepotism is hiring relatives as a favor to them, especially without regard to their qualifications, assuming they'll do your bidding and do you favors in return. .

Hiring like-minded associates who will do your bidding and do you favors back in return is cronyism.

Chip Chipperson

I'm sorry, but a no-bid contract in the amount of $1M (will end up being more) for emergency services awarded to a member of the Ethics Commission does NOT pass the smell test. While members of the Ethics Commission do not receive a salary, they are compensated for travel and per diem expenses.

I believe the District said the total value of the contract is less than $1 million, BUT they still didn't provide the actual amount and $999k would still be truthfully "under $1 million." But the statute you cited earlier says the value must be below $35k and there's no way that the work being done could possibly cost that little - especially when the District is being so cagey about the amount. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that most of the Board members aren't even aware of that rule, but both Gilzean and Figgers should both know it. As for the others, ignorance is no excuse. If they're that clueless about how local governments have to operate then that's just further proof of their lack of qualifications to hold their positions and - combined with nonsense like this contract - cements the punitive nature of the Board's creation and appointment.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I believe the District said the total value of the contract is less than $1 million, BUT they still didn't provide the actual amount and $999k would still be truthfully "under $1 million." But the statute you cited earlier says the value must be below $35k and there's no way that the work being done could possibly cost that little - especially when the District is being so cagey about the amount. . It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that most of the Board members aren't even aware of that rule, but both Gilzean and Figgers should both know it. As for the others, ignorance is no excuse

This all goes back to the Network revamp they introduced in the Aug 23 board meeting. Where Gilzean highlighted earmarking 1 million in their budget plan for a network redesign, highlighting a key benefit would be to improve their 911 response. They even highlighted their current response times were below the state standard and needed to be addressed 'now'. This was likely part of their justification of why such a program needed to be awarded quickly... as an 'urgent operational need'

As for Gilzeen and Figgers - who cares, the procurement staff in the district, including their newly labeled CFO who are long time employees (not appointees) know the procurement rules. The Districts own updated Procurement Policy (also included in the Aug 23 Meeting packet) highlights Contracts >25k must be signed by the Distract Admin (and those over 500k must goto the board).

Note for services, their policy states deals over 100k for services must use formal bidding.

But also note the exception they put into their policy...
"VIII. SECURITY RELATED PURCHASES
Purchases of goods or services for security systems, wired or wireless networks, alarms, or other peripherals that reveal configurations or methodology supporting the security of District infrastructure are exempt from public bidding."

But they never distinguish between 'public bidding' and 'competitive bidding' - so I don't know how to read that exception. Nor how to interpret the District's policies vs linked by @LAKid53 - as that statue applies to agencies defined as "“Agency” means any of the various state officers, departments, boards, commissions, divisions, bureaus, and councils and any other unit of organization, however designated, of the executive branch of state government" --

The district board is appointed by the executive branch, but is not really part of the executive branch nor delegate of it. It was created by the legislature.

If you go through the old budget presentations, should be a line item for the network redesign project. I just don't have the time myself today to back track... but should be in there for the 'how much' concerns.

James Alucobond

I agree, but I think it should be framed as a question and research should be carried out to uncover the rules that were broken. Suspicion should be treated as what it is until the facts come to light.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I agree, but I think it should be framed as a question and research should be carried out to uncover the rules that were broken. Suspicion should be treated as what it is until the facts come to light.

I posted the FL statutes that govern competitive bidding. The state entity that would look into the award is the... Commission on Ethics. Or the attorney general. Given that the funds aren't state appropriated, it would be unlikely that the auditor general's office would review the contract.

There's nothing that prevents a private citizen from filing a complaint with the Commission.

MrPromey

I agree... but at the same time, that's not the standard that was used to bring RCID down or by the current board to keep alluding to the alleged shady practices that they claim to be working to undo.

If you're going to go on a witch hunt and you start dropping people in rivers with their arms and legs bound to see if they'll float it's not a great look to, yourself, be caught dancing naked around a fire in the woods late at night with a strange book of incantations open on the ground next to you, is it?

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I believe the District said the total value of the contract is less than $1 million, BUT they still didn't provide the actual amount and $999k would still be truthfully "under $1 million." But the statute you cited earlier says the value must be below $35k and there's no way that the work being done could possibly cost that little - especially when the District is being so cagey about the amount. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that most of the Board members aren't even aware of that rule, but both Gilzean and Figgers should both know it. As for the others, ignorance is no excuse. If they're that clueless about how local governments have to operate then that's just further proof of their lack of qualifications to hold their positions and - combined with nonsense like this contract - cements the punitive nature of the Board's creation and appointment.

Did the Board fire ALL the RCID staff? If not, some of them should have been aware of the state competitive bid statute.

MrPromey

Sorry, I don't agree on lowering your standards just because some tools do stupid stuff first.

You never hear much about people living with honor in battle, do you?

There's a lot of variations on dying with it but not so much living.

Wonder why that is?

Anyway, we're a court of opinion, not law.

Things don't have to be illegal for them to be shady and we're not bound to the law when it comes to our opinions, are we?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom