News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chi84

Premium Member
If I strikethrough those parts, everything is still true. I would think those parts make it a first amendment claim. Without them, I would think they could still make a representation claim. The representation one likely is a state question, not federal though. Based on whatever FL law covers how governments are run.

Maybe they're thinking they could file in State court later if they lose the federal case first amendment claim.

Obviously, if they win the first amendment claim, all the other questions go away. If they lose the first amendment claim in federal court, I would assume they could still make a representation claim in state court.
They’re not losing any rights by what they’re doing now. It’s a strategy decision on when and how to raise claims and I’m sure they have this covered.

Isamar

They really have no shot in state.

It’s G-mandered to hell…so no chance of legislative relief

The judges are appointed on the higher levels by Crazy Jag’s office in the state and the lower ones are elected in the Same G-mandered districts…No judicial relief

And then there’s the “executive”

Disney has no means to kill/reset this whole thing in the state

It will come where all the movers and shakers go: federal court in Delaware, baby!!!

The defence and counterclaim Disney filed in the state court does include claims under the Florida Constitution, but I don’t *think* (don’t recall?) that any of them are directly related to the state’s authority to reconstitute the board.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The defence and counterclaim Disney filed in the state court does include claims under the Florida Constitution, but I don’t *think* (don’t recall?) that any of them are directly related to the state’s authority to reconstitute the board.
I think that was just a formality for appearances

They’re asking for a hostile state who’s trying to exploit them to rule for them?

The worst billboard lawyer on earth wouldn’t put any faith in that

Isamar

I’d guess that their best hope right now is to wait for a new governor who might agree to a compromise they can live with.

In the meantime the lawsuits are necessary because they can’t sit back and allow the board to interfere with their ability to effectively run the property. The ongoing lawsuits at least bring some public attention to what the board is doing (although the reporting is so often inaccurate).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d guess that their best hope right now is to wait for a new governor who might agree to a compromise they can live with.

In the meantime the lawsuits are necessary because they can’t sit back and allow the board to interfere with their ability to effectively run the property. The ongoing lawsuits at least bring some public attention to what the board is doing (although the reporting is so often inaccurate).
agree…but that’s gonna be a long 3.5 years with the little angry boy

Chi84

Premium Member
Counterclaims are limited in scope by state procedural rules. A party can’t simply add a series of unrelated claims and call them counterclaims. The state suit involves the development contracts.

Disney’s lawyers will bring all legally viable claims in a situation where they’re accusing government officials of violating their federal constitutional rights. No lawyer would abandon a legally sound claim or defense because they think it’s hopeless based on the political situation. Doing so would jeopardize their appeal rights.

Isamar

agree…but that’s gonna be a long 3.5 years with the little angry boy

That’s probably true. I guess it’s possible that things could change after the nomination is decided. Who knows how he and legislators might pivot? Depends on who’s writing the checks. They could fix this with a compromise and declare to his supporters that it was a triumph.

Isamar

Counterclaims are limited in scope by state procedural rules. A party can’t simply add a series of unrelated claims and call them counterclaims. The state suit involves the development contracts.

Disney’s lawyers will bring all legally viable claims in a situation where they’re accusing government officials of violating their federal constitutional rights. No lawyer would abandon a legally sound claim or defense because they think it’s hopeless based on the political situation. Doing so would jeopardize their appeal rights.

It also occurs to me that if they challenge the reconstitution of the board in the state court they would likely have to bring the state/Desantis into that lawsuit. They may not want to do that, at least right now, for strategic reasons. Wild speculation on my part of course.

But I have no doubt that the Disney lawyers have a handle on every possible angle here. Unsurprisingly, their filings are fabulous pieces of legal writing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s probably true. I guess it’s possible that things could change after the nomination is decided. Who knows how he and legislators might pivot? Depends on who’s writing the checks. They could fix this with a compromise and declare to his supporters that it was a triumph.
The nomination?

That’s not a “thing”
What should have never happened is changing the state law for him to run.

Inexcusable…will just lead to more future carpet bagging.

Isamar

The nomination?

That’s not a “thing”
What should have never happened is changing the state law for him to run.

Inexcusable…will just lead to more future carpet bagging.

Agreed on all counts. I meant the nomination of someone (we all know who that will probably be) such that his race is done and he’ll have to turn his attention back to being the governor and whatever he thinks comes after that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed on all counts. I meant the nomination of someone (we all know who that will probably be) such that his race is done and he’ll have to turn his attention back to being the governor and whatever he thinks comes after that.
It’s usually how fast they run out of money…

This time it’s that and hoping a bunch of prosecutors create a power vacuum for them with no mess

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

That's a 3 year wait.

JMcMahonEsq

Sounds like Nero playing his fiddle while Rome burns. Not going to go over the issues again, there are almost 1100 pages. There is a very real chance that after all is said and done, the State of Florida will have the final say on the ruling body. In the mean time the company could be in shambles. So if you think it is worth the challenge, you have the right to your opinion. I simply do not agree.
What are you talking about? Leaving aside the idea that this is a fundimentally important issue for the company, you do realize that Disney has hired attorneys to fight this legal battle right? It’s not like Disney is assigning CM’s or Imagineers, or their executives to run the legal battle.

Isamar

That's a 3 year wait.

Yup, and it sure *seems* like the people currently running the district have neither the inclination nor the expertise to deal with its day-to-day management.

But going through the court process, including appeals, could take just as long or longer? Plus the ultimate outcome at court is always uncertain.

I assume they’re also trying to find a solution behind the scenes, IF anyone at state level is open to having reasonable discussions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yup, and it sure *seems* like the people currently running the district have neither the inclination nor the expertise to deal with its day-to-day management.

But going through the court process, including appeals, could take just as long or longer? Plus the ultimate outcome at court is always uncertain.

I assume they’re also trying to find a solution behind the scenes, IF anyone at state level is open to having reasonable discussions.
Well from appearances…the state “won” for now

They drug Disney through the dirt…they took away their district…they installed shills in its place.

Ultimately it will probably reverse. But in the end that’s where it sits

mmascari

Since a compromise requires passing new legislation, it will be exceedingly difficult to create one.

It would require the governor is on board to sign it into law. Alternatively, it would require a veto override majority in the legislature.

Next, it would require a majority in the legislature to start with. Not just 51% either, but 51% that are willing to vote together, which is often much harder to arrive at. Even harder if it needs to be override sized.

Without those things, the current law wouldn't be changed and it's not really a compromise then.

(A court win for Disney eliminates needing any of those obviously, and isn't really a compromise either.)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Since a compromise requires passing new legislation, it will be exceedingly difficult to create one.

It would require the governor is on board to sign it into law. Alternatively, it would require a veto override majority in the legislature.

Next, it would require a majority in the legislature to start with. Not just 51% either, but 51% that are willing to vote together, which is often much harder to arrive at. Even harder if it needs to be override sized.

Without those things, the current law wouldn't be changed and it's not really a compromise then.

(A court win for Disney eliminates needing any of those obviously, and isn't really a compromise either.)
Yeah…I think the possibility of an “in state” solution ended the minute the panhandler reps starting passing laws (reading/writing optional)…

If it was driven as a “modification” where they both could claim “progress”…it could have been done.

But it was only politics to allow for personal fundraising/promotion. That’s all this ever was and how it will go down in the books.

And predictably…less than one year later it all looks pointless and folly.

They could have done something else in the “sane” worlds. The state legislature could have rewritten the statute and Disney could have given some ground. But that would have to been driven by the legislators in the I-4 corridor and that can’t happen…because they have been labeled “the enemy” based on the voting booth and polarization.

This really sucks. But I don’t see how it wouldn’t have happened even without Bob hiding and the board inexcusably letting Slaphead hang around?

It’s a stunt against the most ripe of targets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom