News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

cranbiz

Who is paying the legal bills? I object to this and as a taxpayer don't want to pay for the fight that deSantis has started.
CFTOD and Disney. In reality, it's Disney and Disney.

The taxpayer being referred to are the taxpayers who are in the CFTOD (formerly RCID). The taxpayers of the district are TWDC and a few others that own land in the district. Taxpayers of Florida, Orange County and Osceola County do not pay taxes to the district. So unless you own land in the special tax district RCID/CFTOD, you have no objection.

lazyboy97o

CFTOD and Disney. In reality, it's Disney and Disney.

The taxpayer being referred to are the taxpayers who are in the CFTOD (formerly RCID). The taxpayers of the district are TWDC and a few others that own land in the district. Taxpayers of Florida, Orange County and Osceola County do not pay taxes to the district. So unless you own land in the special tax district RCID/CFTOD, you have no objection.
The state is a party to the federal lawsuit and therefor those legal bills are being paid for by all Florida taxpayers.

cranbiz

The state is a party to the federal lawsuit and therefor those legal bills are being paid for by all Florida taxpayers.
True, the parts that are state specific will be footed by the State taxpayers (forgot that Disney did name DeSantis in his official capacity, et al). The State Court suit was brought by CFTOD, that is completely on them.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
And are they a property tax payer within the district, or are they exempt?

I think y'all can see where I'm going here.
Property taxes aren't paid to the district. They are exempt from paying property taxes to Orange County though.

ETA: The "district - CFTOD" cannot set millage rates for the properties either. Only the county sets those rates. Their stupid news conference where they were saying that they were lowering the millage rate to property owners so that they pay lower taxes was a total lie. Only the respective county can change the millage rate, and those are limited by state laws. The county is also the only one that decides what a property is worth for taxes. The district has NO say in any of that, regardless of what they claim to be able to do. They are in the midst of the biggest misinformation campaign ever. It is quite unbelievable but they know the average Floridian won't know the difference and just think they're doing a great job, even though all they have done is release lie after lie after lie.

Last edited:

lewisc

I'm not going to search, my memory is Disney owns the land with a long term lease to whoever runs it for the military. I'm thinking 99 years. Search the thread. It was posted

mmascari

Who owns Shades of Green?
Here you go:

You would probably need to dig though all the records to be sure. There's going to be a lot of nuance to this.

From the link:
The resort was so successful and popular that MWR decided to purchase the resort in 1996. The resort was purchased outright from Disney. However, Disney still owns the more than 30 acres of underlying property on which the resort sits. Shades of Green is a self-sustaining resort, no outside/taxpayer funds are used in its operation or upkeep.
Which at first glance, sounds like Disney owns the land and MWR owns the stuff built on it. Which one pays the District tax bill is probably very interesting.

Either way, it's why most posters say "majority" or "most" or "primarily" instead of "Disney is the only taxpayer in RCID". To avoid an over simplification and absolute. By percentage of RCID taxes paid, Disney is clearly the majority of them by a lot.

*Edit - By "interesting", I mean full of legal details, contract law, and subject to lots of conditions of the contract on how the relationship was created. Not some fancy plot point. Also, probably only interesting to an attorney or accountant and extremely boring to everyone else.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And are they a property tax payer within the district, or are they exempt?

The Shades of Green is ran by the DoD. Even the Civilian MWR activities for the armed forces are considered federal, so they are immune from state and local taxes.

They lease the property from Disney, but own the facilities. But being a federal entity... states don't tax them.

lazyboy97o

Property taxes aren't paid to the district. They are exempt from paying property taxes to Orange County though.

ETA: The "district - CFTOD" cannot set millage rates for the properties either. Only the county sets those rates. Their stupid news conference where they were saying that they were lowering the millage rate to property owners so that they pay lower taxes was a total lie. Only the respective county can change the millage rate, and those are limited by state laws. The county is also the only one that decides what a property is worth for taxes. The district has NO say in any of that, regardless of what they claim to be able to do. They are in the midst of the biggest misinformation campaign ever. It is quite unbelievable but they know the average Floridian won't know the difference and just think they're doing a great job, even though all they have done is release lie after lie after lie.
The District and the municipalities do set their own millage rate. The District even has the power to assess higher millage rates than other local governments.

The announcement of lowering the millage rate was a lie because they announced changes to the cities’ millage rates that they do not control.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That is the important part which kills my argument. If SoG is self sufficient, then none of my federal tax dollars are going into the district. That ends my train of thought right there.

I yield to the floor. :)
Its still MWR - still a federal agency (through the dod) and still impacted by decisions by the district board including fees and services.

They just don’t pay taxes…. Same as other federal entities

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Here you go:

You would probably need to dig though all the records to be sure. There's going to be a lot of nuance to this.

From the link:

Which at first glance, sounds like Disney owns the land and MWR owns the stuff built on it. Which one pays the District tax bill is probably very interesting.

Either way, it's why most posters say "majority" or "most" or "primarily" instead of "Disney is the only taxpayer in RCID". To avoid an over simplification and absolute. By percentage of RCID taxes paid, Disney is clearly the majority of them by a lot.

*Edit - By "interesting", I mean full of legal details, contract law, and subject to lots of conditions of the contract on how the relationship was created. Not some fancy plot point. Also, probably only interesting to an attorney or accountant and extremely boring to everyone else.

Are you saying accountants are boring? 😁

Chip Chipperson

The District and the municipalities do set their own millage rate. The District even has the power to assess higher millage rates than other local governments.

The announcement of lowering the millage rate was a lie because they announced changes to the cities’ millage rates that they do not control.
Correct. The only thing the County controls with regards to District taxes is the assessed taxable value of the properties. The amount levied is completely up to the District (within the limits set by the State, of course).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom