News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Since a compromise requires passing new legislation, it will be exceedingly difficult to create one.

It would require the governor is on board to sign it into law. Alternatively, it would require a veto override majority in the legislature.

Next, it would require a majority in the legislature to start with. Not just 51% either, but 51% that are willing to vote together, which is often much harder to arrive at. Even harder if it needs to be override sized.

Without those things, the current law wouldn't be changed and it's not really a compromise then.

(A court win for Disney eliminates needing any of those obviously, and isn't really a compromise either.)
The governor’s power is largely derived from his willingness to use his line item veto powers on the state budget. Legislators who get out of line have desired funding cut.

Also, as I have said repeatedly, compromise required mutual concessions. Disney being the only party to make concessions is not a compromise. It may be something Disney is willing to accept but it’s not a compromise and we need to stop both-sides of situations by mislabeling concessions, particularly as a result of aggression, as being more righteous and mature.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The only possible compromise I could see would be for the board to agree to readopt the development agreement and restricted covenants in exchange for dropping lawsuits. Not sure Disney would go for that at this point, but that's something that could happen without the involvement of the legislature.

lazyboy97o

The only possible compromise I could see would be for the board to agree to readopt the development agreement and restricted covenants in exchange for dropping lawsuits. Not sure Disney would go for that at this point, but that's something that could happen without the involvement of the legislature.
The legislature passed a law specifically designed to assist the District in getting out of the agreements. They could try again.

mmascari

The only possible compromise I could see would be for the board to agree to....
Would you accept anything they agreed to at face value and in good faith?

It's not like there's some legal or societal framework creating the rules and environment this agreement would live within. They quite literally changed the laws creating new laws to change the deal.

It is extremely difficult to come to agreement with people that do not bargain in good faith and who are willing and able to change the rules that govern any agreement. It's just them saying "trust me" when there's no reason to trust them.

I would imagine Disney executives have seen the movie where the agreement changes and may change further.

Chi84

Premium Member
Would you accept anything they agreed to at face value and in good faith?

It's not like there's some legal or societal framework creating the rules and environment this agreement would live within. They quite literally changed the laws creating new laws to change the deal.

It is extremely difficult to come to agreement with people that do not bargain in good faith and who are willing and able to change the rules that govern any agreement. It's just them saying "trust me" when there's no reason to trust them.

I would imagine Disney executives have seen the movie where the agreement changes and may change further.
No settlement (if one is possible) will depend on trust. The consequences for breach will be clearly set out.

mmascari

No settlement (if one is possible) will depend on trust. The consequences for breach will be clearly set out.
That was my point though. If the consequence is enforced through provisions of FL law, one side has been shown they're willing to change FL law to eliminate the ability to enforce that consequence.

They would require an enforcement mechanism that cannot be undone by changes to FL law.

Even if there was a compromise possible (I don't think there is), I don't think there is a way to actually implement it.

Isamar

Since a compromise requires passing new legislation, it will be exceedingly difficult to create one.

It would require the governor is on board to sign it into law. Alternatively, it would require a veto override majority in the legislature.

Next, it would require a majority in the legislature to start with. Not just 51% either, but 51% that are willing to vote together, which is often much harder to arrive at. Even harder if it needs to be override sized.

Without those things, the current law wouldn't be changed and it's not really a compromise then.

(A court win for Disney eliminates needing any of those obviously, and isn't really a compromise either.)

You’re absolutely right, and they won’t be passing legislation to fix this anytime soon, but Disney people/lobbyists must be making efforts to at least discuss a solution, because it’s currently their best option in a world of bad options. Changing up some board members and getting an agreement on the Development Plan might be a reasonable compromise, but I guess we wouldn’t be having this discussion if we were dealing with a reasonable world 🫤

Disney obviously has to continue the all-out fight in court in the meantime, because a political solution may not be available. But the lawyers know that the ultimate court result is never guaranteed. I have no expertise in this area and I haven’t been able to find good legal analysis from someone who does. Yes, many have said this is a blatant case of retaliation for speech and a clear 1st amendment violation, but that much is absurdly obvious. The unknown, I think, is what remedy can/would the court order? To be clear, I firmly believe that the only *fair* result would be to reverse everything back to where it was before all this chaos, but a win in court doesn’t necessarily get you fair. And people will disagree about what fair even looks like, especially after a few years of who-knows-what have changed the landscape.

If anyone’s found any good sources for deeper legal analysis of all this, please send them my way. Most of the reporting doesn’t even accurately describe the current situation. (Which is why I rudely jumped into the ongoing discussion here. Sorry about that. I was just so glad to find some people who understand what’s going on 🙂)

flyakite

NOTICE OF MEETING
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on September 13th, 2023 at 5.05 p.m., or as soon thereafter as practicable, the Board of Supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District will meet in regular session at 1900 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, Florida. At that time, the Board of Supervisors will consider and hold public hearings on the adoption of Resolution #648 Adoption of Tentative Millage Rate for FY2024 and Resolution #649 Adoption of Tentative Budget for FY2024 and such other business as may properly come before them. Interested parties may appear at the public meeting and hearing to be heard with respect to the proposed resolutions.
BY: Rocky Haag, Clerk
Central Florida Tourism Oversight

NOTICE OF MEETING
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the City Council of the City of Bay Lake will meet in regular session on Monday, September 11, 2023 at 5:05 p.m., 1900 Hotel Plaza Blvd, Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830. At that time in addition to other business on the agenda, the Council will conduct a reading and public hearing on and consider for adoption Resolution No. 204-Establishing a Tentative Millage Rate for FY 24 and Resolution No. 205-Establishing/Adopting a Tentative Budget for FY 24. Interested parties may appear at the public hearing to be heard with respect to the proposed resolutions.
BY: Erin O’Donnell, City Clerk

NOTICE OF MEETING
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the City Council of the City of Lake Buena Vista will meet in regular session on Monday, September 11, 2023 at 5:35 p.m., 1900 Hotel Plaza Blvd, Lake Buena Vista, Florida 32830. At that time in addition to other business on the agenda, the Council will conduct a reading and public hearing on and consider for adoption Resolution No. 186-Establishing a Tentative Millage Rate for FY 24 and Resolution No. 187-Establishing/Adopting a Tentative Budget for FY 24. Interested parties may appear at the public hearing to be heard with respect to the proposed resolutions.
BY: Erin O’Donnell, City Clerk

maxairmike

Hmmmm…three quick meetings for FY24 millage rates. I can’t remember, had they previously claimed they would be decreasing the millage (other than trying to push the cities to lower theirs, which they declined to do)? This certainly smells like sneaking in an increase to me.

Chip Chipperson

Hmmmm…three quick meetings for FY24 millage rates. I can’t remember, had they previously claimed they would be decreasing the millage (other than trying to push the cities to lower theirs, which they declined to do)? This certainly smells like sneaking in an increase to me.
That's the beauty of only highlighting the millage rate. With property values increasing based on the County's assessment, the District can reduce the millage rate despite increasing the actual tax levy. People not paying close attention see the headlines and think, "They cut taxes," when the reality is that they increased taxes and used semantics to make it  seem like a cut. It's a tactic that is all-too-common among local governments all over the country simply because it works so well.

Isamar

Gilzean proposed the millage rate at last meeting and the board approved it. I believe someone said that would lock the approved rate as the highest it could be for the year (I can’t remember for sure whether that was discussed at the meeting or I read it elsewhere). After that at least one of the cities declined to approve the lower millage rate (the city’s portion) proposed by Gilzean - this may have related to the pay duty police officers but I’m not sure because I didn’t see that meeting.

Last edited:

Isamar

Sorry if this was already noted elsewhere: The City of Bay Lake was scheduled to have a meeting this morning to replace two resigning councilmembers.

Isamar

NOTICE OF MEETING
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on August 23, 2023 at 9.30 a.m., or as soon
(…)
BY: Rocky Haag, Clerk
Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

(I guess Rocky is a new clerk)

I didn’t click to the new name until the latest notice was posted today, so I looked him up: he was an Aide to GOP members for several years, until July 2023.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Lake Buena Vista, FLA – The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District (CFTOD) Administrator Glen Gilzean has announced Eric Ferrari, Deputy Chief of Operations at the District, will assume the role of Acting Fire Chief, while a nationwide search is underway for a permanent replacement for retiring Fire Chief Richard LePere.

““We wish Chief LePere all the best as he begins a well-deserved retirement,” said CFTOD Administrator Glen Gilzean. “We appreciate the chief’s lifetime of service and know that Deputy Chief Ferrari will continue the District’s Safety-First mission as we undertake a nationwide search for qualified applicants to fill this role permanently.”

Fire Chief Richard LePere completed his final day of service at the District, entering retirement after nearly 40 years of work in the fire service.

Acting Fire Chief Ferrari initially began work at the District in 1996 as a 911 dispatcher, after 2 years of service, he left the District, only to come back as the Capitan of the 911 Communications center in 2001. He has worked his way through the ranks, and ultimately became Deputy Chief of Operations in 2016.

CFTOD has retained a national headhunting firm, SRG, to find and make recommendations about qualified applicants to fill the role of Fire Chief. The District is encouraging both internal and external applicants to submit their qualifications on www.RCID.org/careers. Materials will be forwarded to SRG for consideration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom