News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mmascari

Maybe Disney should start worrying about actually running the company than fighting endless law suites. The Stock price dropped to lowest point in eight years. Ouch. Not saying they were wrong, but this is just taking too much attention away from what they should be doing, supplying quality entertainment.
A lawsuit isn't something you fight. It's a way of fighting something else.

In this case, it's the way they are fighting changes to a government entity with taxing and legal control over a gigantic business location they run.

Those changes are either good or bad for business. Presumably, since Disney if fighting them, they view the changes as bad for business. Which making fighting those changes with lawsuits exactly focusing on running the company.

Most of the armchair CEO's who post here would agree that the changes to RCID are a net negative for Disney's business.

I take it you disagree with that? Is there something with the changes you can point at that is better for Disney's business? And hence they should stop fighting it, since the changes would be a net positive for Disney?

MR.Dis

It's a hugely important issue for the long term interests of WDW. They cannot standby and in my opinion are doing the absolute right thing to challenge what has happened.
Sounds like Nero playing his fiddle while Rome burns. Not going to go over the issues again, there are almost 1100 pages. There is a very real chance that after all is said and done, the State of Florida will have the final say on the ruling body. In the mean time the company could be in shambles. So if you think it is worth the challenge, you have the right to your opinion. I simply do not agree.

Stripes

Premium Member
Companies the size of Disney are sued endlessly. Disney is probably fighting over 200 lawsuits right now. That’s partly why they have a dedicated legal department.

The people making movies and designing attractions are not focused on this whatsoever. The notion that focusing on protecting your company’s financial interests and defending its constitutional rights is a “distraction” that is harming the company in other ways is simply ludicrous.

lazyboy97o

Sounds like Nero playing his fiddle while Rome burns. Not going to go over the issues again, there are almost 1100 pages. There is a very real chance that after all is said and done, the State of Florida will have the final say on the ruling body. In the mean time the company could be in shambles. So if you think it is worth the challenge, you have the right to your opinion. I simply do not agree.
How does more third party design review and control input help the company better perform financially? How will Bridget Ziegler help make better movies and attractions? Martin Garcia probably thinks they didn’t even have movies in the 60s.

Stellajack

Maybe Disney should start worrying about actually running the company than fighting endless law suites. The Stock price dropped to lowest point in eight years. Ouch. Not saying they were wrong, but this is just taking too much attention away from what they should be doing, supplying quality entertainment.
OK...I am going to insert my opinion in this and prepare to have folks accuse me of all sorts of things and rip my post apart. We started buying Disney stock in 2009 right after the "crash" @$16 a share. There was even a trip to Disney when the stock fell to $99/share and my husband stopped in EPCOT on that trip to make a purchase because of the drop. We have invested and reinvested and no one but our family members are even aware of this.

This past December '22 we transferred $7000 dollars in stock to our college graduating granddaughter, with plans to do the same thing next December for the next graduate. Disney BETTER NOT stop fighting this battle with CFTOD (or whoever the heck they pretend to be). Not impressed at all with the live meeting that I saw yesterday. At best they seem to be amateurish flunkies. There are several years of pandemic and mismanagement that Disney needs to address and I believe they are attempting to do so. There are also taxpayers in Florida who at some point must speak up as this also affects them.

This is a personal post including my own personal interests, and have no intention of bad-mouthing anyone. This lawsuit MUST play out. BTW, Disney IS still running the company.

Brooklin Disney Dad

I do kind of feel bad for them. They had the rug pulled out from under them.

Is this a contractual benefit or a “perk”? How does he get to take his grandchildren? For free? If this is a matter of just giving out tickets when requested, DW is like an open bar for employees where taxpayers foot the bill. The $1000 stipend restricts employees from inviting more than just their immediate families. Remember, FLA residents already are paying a minimal amount to enjoy the parks compared to tourists. Would love to know how this benefit actually worked. Sounds like it was being mismanaged/abused. Kind of like using 10 sick days when you were only sick for 4 and used the other 6 “just because”. Eventually something has got to give. FYI…I have been union for 23 yrs.

JoeCamel

Is this a contractual benefit or a “perk”? How does he get to take his grandchildren? For free? If this is a matter of just giving out tickets when requested, DW is like an open bar for employees where taxpayers foot the bill. The $1000 stipend restricts employees from inviting more than just their immediate families. Remember, FLA residents already are paying a minimal amount to enjoy the parks compared to tourists. Would love to know how this benefit actually worked. Sounds like it was being mismanaged/abused. Kind of like using 10 sick days when you were only sick for 4 and used the other 6 “just because”. Eventually something has got to give. FYI…I have been union for 23 yrs.
$1000 barely covers one pass

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Correction: the COURTS will have the final say.

mmascari

My ONLY point is, while they spend so much time and energy on this, their company is performing poorly. That should be their focus. Fix the parks...... Those are the things that need to have their attention, not who is the governing body of the 43 square miles in central Florida.
Wait which is it?

They should fix the parks, which is hugely dependent on who the governing body of that 43 square miles is, or they should ignore the impact of the governing body and it's impacts on the parks?

That's not even internally consistent within the single post. I'm completely lost on what you want. They should work on parks by ignoring the largest impact to the ability to do that work?

There is a very real chance that after all is said and done, the State of Florida will have the final say on the ruling body. In the mean time the company could be in shambles.
If Disney loses all control any any accountability mechanism with the ruling body that collects taxes and permits work on their largest physical asset, they will definitely be in shambles after that.

So, again, it's unclear what you want. You want them to not be in shambles by ignoring the thing with the largest ability to impact how the parks work?

This would be like taking one wheel off your car and instead of working to correct that, just focus on steering the car. I'm sure you could steer it better to make up for the fact that the wheel is gone. Just ignore that missing wheel, focus on the steering, that will surely get you to your destination faster. (I think I heard that from a bus driver.)

lazyboy97o

Wait which is it?

They should fix the parks, which is hugely dependent on who the governing body of that 43 square miles is, or they should ignore the impact of the governing body and it's impacts on the parks?

That's not even internally consistent within the single post. I'm completely lost on what you want. They should work on parks by ignoring the largest impact to the ability to do that work?

If Disney loses all control any any accountability mechanism with the ruling body that collects taxes and permits work on their largest physical asset, they will definitely be in shambles after that.

So, again, it's unclear what you want. You want them to not be in shambles by ignoring the thing with the largest ability to impact how the parks work?

This would be like taking one wheel off your car and instead of working to correct that, just focus on steering the car. I'm sure you could steer it better to make up for the fact that the wheel is gone. Just ignore that missing wheel, focus on the steering, that will surely get you to your destination faster. (I think I heard that from a bus driver.)
What’s great about the “work with them” argument is that you have to take the position that the new board is lying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom