News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Cliff

Sorry I have to say this....but everybody arguing back and forth on this Disney/DeSantis/Florida/RCID/Woke thing are not being honest about any of it.

Everybody has chosen their for/against sides and no what matter information comes to light on either side....both scream at each other and declare "its all a lie". The tribalism...the "defend your flag at ANY cost" mentality is crazy.

Nobody wants to look at BOTH sides objectively. Instead, it's all about defend & attack for your "cause".

What's right or wrong?...really has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING in this war....and that is disapointing.

If the name "Disney" was replaced with "Exxon" or "Haliburton" or "My Pillow" companies...and all else being equal? I suspect BOTH sides would completely FLIP 180 degrees around...overnight... and continue fighting each other like how they flip teams and sides on football field in a game every quarter.

lazyboy97o

Sorry I have to say this....but everybody arguing back and forth on this Disney/DeSantis/Florida/RCID/Woke thing are not being honest about any of it.

Everybody has chosen their for/against sides and no matter information comes to light on either side....both scream at each other and declare "its all a lie". The tribalism...the "defend your flag at ANY cost" mentality is crazy.

Nobody wants to look at BOTH sides objectively. Instead, it's all about defend & attack for your "cause".

What's right or wrong?...really has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING in this war....and that is disapointing.

If the name "Disney" was replaced with "Exxon" or "Haliburton" or "My Pillow" companies...and all else being equal? I suspect BOTH sides would completely FLIP 180 degrees around...overnight... and continue fighting each other like how they flip teams and sides on football field in a game every quarter.
And what is thing that is so right that is just being ignored do to tribalism? What information has come to light that is being ignore? Do tell us.

drnilescrane

After the news of this past week I doubt Disney will be announcing anything new or major for WDW until they can get more clarity on the situation with CFTOD.
...and making a point of underscoring that in the press too.

I understand it's hard to be objective about it, but the silver lining of this situation is that it's put DisneylandForward on the glide-path. We've gone from a Sacramento who couldn't care less about theme parks (because only people from out of state go to Disneyland 🙄) to actively cheering on the project. Might as well take the win while you can.

scottieRoss

Everybody has chosen their for/against sides and no what matter information comes to light on either side....both scream at each other and declare "its all a lie". The tribalism...the "defend your flag at ANY cost" mentality is crazy.

Sorry, but that is just plain wrong. One side has displayed facts. The other side displays false statements, talking points not based on facts and wrong histories. One side is emotionally invested and only sees premises based on an emotional platform and fail to see the facts.

LittleBuford

Nope.

Slurring a company as promoters of paedophilia is always wrong.

Illegal government retaliation against a company for exercising its protected rights is always wrong.

Wrong is always wrong.

mikejs78

Premium Member

There isn't a "both sides" here, unless one side thinks the Constitution of the United States doesn't matter.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I can’t speak for anyone else (not sure how you can either) but my position has not changed from the start of this. I believe in free speech, even if that speech is something I don’t agree with, it’s fundamental to our government and is protected by the constitution. It is unlikely any information will come to light that changes my opinion on that. I believe that it is wrong for any politician who is elected to serve the people to use the power of the government that has been entrusted to them to punish anybody who speaks out against them or opposes their policies. I don’t believe there is likely to be any information that comes to light which will change my position on that either. I 100% believe that this action against Disney and the seizing of control of RCID has been taken as a direct response to Disney speaking out. I’ve been told that by the Governor and various members of the legislation including even a chapter in the Governor’s book.

So if I support free speech for all, I am opposed to government overreach and use of government power to punish free speech and I believe without a doubt that this action was government overreach used to punish free speech how is that not being honest about any of it? What am I supposed to be looking at objectively from the other side? Honest question because it seems pretty straight forward to me.

One more thing to add: we are 1,000+ pages into this thread and there has been a nearly continuous discussion for over a year now here. I doubt there is much information available that people here haven’t heard or talked about. It’s simply inaccurate to imply that people are not informed and are just picking a side blindly based on tribalism. That may be true in society in general but most of the regular posters here are well informed of the various details of the case.

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

There's only one side. It's called the United States Constitution.

There is "objectively", it's "one side" used their governmental powers to attack the "other side", which is a direct violation of the U.S. Constitution. Moving on....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There's only one side. It's called the United States Constitution.

There is "objectively", it's "one side" used their governmental powers to attack the "other side", which is a direct violation of the U.S. Constitution. Moving on....
I agree. The only thing left to see is if a court agrees with that too. I think we all can probably agree that OJ did it….but he still walked. I do still have confidence in the courts but some people call me naive.

MagicHappens1971

I agree. The only thing left to see is if a court agrees with that too. I think we all can probably agree that OJ did it….but he still walked. I do still have confidence in the courts but some people call me naive.
OJ did it, and so did Casey Anthony, but they're both free people now. Will for sure be interesting to see how a federal judge rules here.

It would be setting a dangerous precedent if he doesn't rule in favor of the constitution (Disney's side).

Chi84

Premium Member

That’s a terrible way to undermine and dismiss posters who have gone to great lengths to learn about RCID and discuss the issues reasonably and respectfully.

You’re entitled to believe what you like, but trying to shut people up by accusing them all of dishonesty and unconquerable bias is a poor tactic.

Last edited:

tissandtully

Nice try, bud, I think most would be unhappy with this if it were against people they didn’t actually like as well. Me included. And I’ve stated in here many times, if it hasn’t been deleted. It would have been wrong for Charlie Crist to do something against the Villages. The precedence that could be established for government retaliation in this case is just too much to resort to calling it tribalism and is definitely a very misguided take on your part.

tissandtully

OJ did it, and so did Casey Anthony, but they're both free people now. Will for sure be interesting to see how a federal judge rules here.

It would be setting a dangerous precedent if he doesn't rule in favor of the constitution (Disney's side).
Both had prosecutors who were unable to convince a jury beyond a reasonable doubt, so the system worked. You’ll see neither is living high on the hog right now anyways. So it all comes around.

Figgy1

This isn't about tribalism, it's about constitutional and contractual issues. There are no sides as far as the first goes because that deals with the first which is the first for a reason. You, me and everybody has a right to boycott any company we wish to and the right to spend our money anywhere we want to! The government has no right abridge speech. This isn't only a fight about RC but a fight about a government entity(ies) not only punishing a company due to one statement and then treating both sides of the aisle equally but also the same bodies trying to control future speech and content

tissandtully

This isn't about tribalism, it's about constitutional and contractual issues. There are no sides as far as the first goes because that deals with the first which is the first for a reason. You, me and everybody has a right to boycott any company we wish to and the right to spend our money anywhere we want to! The government has no right abridge speech. This isn't only a fight about RC but a fight about a government entity(ies) not only punishing a company due to one statement and then treating both sides of the aisle equally but also the same bodies trying to control future speech and content
Also no one has offered any sort of situation where this has been done by “someone from the other side” and anyone has been OK with it.

mikejs78

Premium Member

There have been numerous posters on this thread who considered themselves DeSantis supporters, or at least used to, until this. The thing is, most people don't like the idea of government retaliation against speech. It may.br a Republican today using government to silence speech he doesn't like. Tomorrow it could be a Democratic governor suppressing speech of a company known for its Republican leanings. Speech is speech, and government action against political speech is never right.

It's also telling that, outside Florida, many Republicans leaders are criticizing DeSantis in this matter.

Cliff

There have been numerous posters on this thread who considered themselves DeSantis supporters, or at least used to, until this. The thing is, most people don't like the idea of government retaliation against speech. It may.br a Republican today using government to silence speech he doesn't like. Tomorrow it could be a Democratic governor suppressing speech of a company known for its Republican leanings. Speech is speech, and government action against political speech is never right.

It's also telling that, outside Florida, many Republicans leaders are criticizing DeSantis in this matter.
I personally am in favor of RCID being disolved and removed from Disney's control. If you had asked me a decade or two ago, I would have agreed back then too. In my opinion, special taxing districts shoud be reserved for places like The Viliges...a place where thousands of people actually live in a real community. Not what Disney had in RCID. If Disney was not going to build a REAL experimental community of people and citizens? Then it sould have been disolved in the 1970's

So...Im happy that RCID has been changed but very unhappy with how DeSantis framed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi84

Premium Member
I personally am in favor of RCID being disolved and removed from Disney's control. If you had asked me a decade or two ago, I would have agreed back then too. In my opinion, special taxing districts shoud be reserved for places like The Viliges...a place where thousands of people actually live in a real community. Not what Disney had in RCID. If Disney was not going to build a REAL experimental community of people and citizens? Then it sould have been disolved in the 1970's

So...Im happy that RCID has been changed but very unhappy with how DeSantis framed it.
DeSantis doesn’t want RCID dissolved. And he didn’t dissolve it. What didn’t you like about RCID?

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom