News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Figgy1

I personally am in favor of RCID being disolved and removed from Disney's control. If you had asked me a decade or two ago, I would have agreed back then too. In my opinion, special taxing districts shoud be reserved for places like The Viliges...a place where thousands of people actually live in a real community. Not what Disney had in RCID. If Disney was not going to build a REAL experimental community of people and citizens? Then it sould have been disolved in the 1970's

I believe that Florida would have been fine to desolve RCID for THAT reason....and that reason only.

So...Im happy that RCID has been changed but very unhappy with how DeSantis framed it.
You're happy all local control has been taken away? You're happy the largest landowner has no input and is actively being punished?

Last edited by a moderator:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I personally am in favor of RCID being disolved and removed from Disney's control. If you had asked me a decade or two ago, I would have agreed back then too. In my opinion, special taxing districts shoud be reserved for places like The Viliges...a place where thousands of people actually live in a real community. Not what Disney had in RCID. If Disney was not going to build a REAL experimental community of people and citizens? Then it sould have been disolved in the 1970's

I believe that Florida would have been fine to desolve RCID for THAT reason....and that reason only.

So...Im happy that RCID has been changed but very unhappy with how DeSantis framed it.
It wasn’t just “framed“ that way, it was the only reason he did it. DeSantis was not changing RCID because thousands of people don’t live there and it was flawed from the start. If that was the case he would have also altered every other special district in the state that wasn’t directly related to a housing development and there are many. Last I checked nobody lives at the Daytona Speedway either. The FL constitution specifies what special districts can and cannot do and there’s nothing specifying they are only for residential development.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney's financial health has nothing to do with the RCID, CFTOD dispute. Disney is not in financial difficulty no matter what some here or on stupid YouTube videos say. Plus some of those people have no idea what they are talking about, or why else would they be working in a 2nd or 3rd world country?
They are entering into a down period and that’s all Wall Street cares about. It doesn’t matter what the truth is…it only matters what people believe
17 billion is status quo for a decade at current WDW, and it will probably be pretty lean as all departments tend to not do as well as the last couple decades.

Netflix ditched Marvel for a reason with multiple series and focused on a fewer in house creations that were much less budget so better ROI that covers more production when they get hits.

Disney did not listen and oversaturated three to four big budget series for Star Wars and Marvel.
It is going to take awhile and be lean before it is likely to get better for them, and the way writers are being treated are not going to get them much rushed projects going to diversify.

They will streamline and Disney will just be the obvious hits which will create the cycle.

The hubris.
That was a ploy figure…and it doesn’t appear to have worked at all
Even if Disney were cash strapped, who would be positioned to buy them? I don’t think anyone expects them to go bankrupt.
Larger companies that feel the need to bring in a lot of valuable content. I can think of 3 off the top
Agreed on the status quo part, but that still isn’t nothing. In the last decade at WDW we got (in no particular order)
  1. Fantasyland Expansion (double dumbo, Mine Train, LM ride, etc)
  2. Tron Coaster
  3. Pandora (FoP, boat ride)
  4. Galaxy’s Edge (RoTR, Smuggler’s run)
  5. Toy Story Land (Slinky Dog, Alien Spinner, doubled TSMM)
  6. Great Mickey Ride
  7. Rat Ride
  8. Guardians of the Universe of Energy
  9. Frozen in Norway (I know…kinda lame)
  10. Disney Springs expansion
  11. Skyliner
  12. Multiple DVC resorts and one failed Star Wars hotel:(
So while it wasn’t the Disney decade for sure the $15B spent over the last decade got us some interesting new stuff. This isn’t intended to be some debate about how that isn’t enough and which rides and lands were planned to be more then scaled down or replacements of existing rides. My only point is $17B will likely get us upkeep of existing stuff, for sure some DVC resorts, maybe a few more actual hotel rooms and then some “stuff” for the parks as well. That parks stuff isn’t going to be. 5th gate but isn‘t nothing either.
Nah…it’s a lot closer to nothing than you think. They didn’t say “$17 bil on rides and character buffets”. A lot of place to shell game account “projected costs” away in the swamp.

RamblinWreck

If it were being dissolved, there wouldn’t be many people complaining.

It’s unarguable that the solution DeSantis came up with to save face, after realizing rushing to dissolve the district without a clue how to do it wasn’t going to work, is extreme.

MandaM

I believe that Florida would have been fine to desolve RCID for THAT reason....and that reason only. I do NOT believe that DeSantis should have ever spoken the word "Woke" one time in this. That was a MASSIVE mistake on his part. The "Woke" problem that Disney has should mean nothing to the RCID problem. Disney's Woke poltics is a conversation for it's CUSTOMERS...not a question for the state.

This is a perfect example of the "defend your flag at any costs" mentality you talked about. Dismissing DeSantis' actions as just a problem of framing or using the wrong word completely ignores and excuses the fact that he's a governor punishing a corporation - doing everything he can to harm them, slandering them, accusing them of vile crimes - solely for criticizing him. That can't be normalized or trivialized as mere word choice.
What's right or wrong?...really has NOTHING to do with ANYTHING in this war....and that is disapointing.
What's right or wrong has EVERYTHING to do with this war. Wrong is the DeSantis punishing and suppressing free speech, plus the lies and defamation that go along with it. But what has Disney done that's wrong? How can this be a both sides issue, when only one side is in the wrong?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Nah…it’s a lot closer to nothing than you think. They didn’t say “$17 bil on rides and character buffets”. A lot of place to shell game account “projected costs” away in the swamp.
That was the list of what $14B at WDW got us over the last decade (10.5 years ;)). Adjusted for inflation thats about the same as $17B now. It wasn’t all rides and character buffets the last decade either. It was what it was.

RamblinWreck

For anyone who may be inclined to think that DeSantis is somehow doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Ask yourself why he didn’t set in motion a 10 year plan to actually dissolve the district.

The one and only possible answer for what he did instead is blindingly obvious, but just see if you can admit it to yourself.

Do you really think the “right” and best possible solution was to make himself the leader of the district, and then assign a bunch of unqualified puppets to the role?

And then, you know, continue to outwardly brag about how he was going to use this power to punish the company and try to influence their business decisions?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That was the list of what $14B at WDW got us over the last decade (10.5 years ;)). Adjusted for inflation thats about the same as $17B now. It wasn’t all rides and character buffets the last decade either. It was what it was.
You’re missing the point..

That was just for PR, they’re not bound to it…and they appear to have ZERO intention of doing anything. When was the last time NOTHING of substance in the parks was being built? Been a long time, sailor…

But here’s the way it gets done: all the money men who threatened Iger for a dividend months ago…should go on squawk box and call for his firing.

He’ll jump and look for headlines then. GREENLIGHT!! 🚦

But is it in their interests to have more money spent in parks? Probably not.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You’re missing the point..

That was just for PR, they’re not bound to it…and they appear to have ZERO intention of doing anything. When was the last time NOTHING of substance in the parks was being built? Been a long time, sailor…

But here’s the way it gets done: all the money men who threatened Iger for a dividend months ago…should go on squawk box and call for his firing.

He’ll jump and look for headlines then. GREENLIGHT!! 🚦

But is it in their interests to have more money spent in parks? Probably not.
You are free to believe what you want. I see no reason to believe they will add nothing new in 10 years but….sure it could happen. Either way it’s moving off topic to argue about it here anyway.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You are free to believe what you want. I see no reason to believe they will add nothing new in 10 years but….sure it could happen. Either way it’s moving off topic to argue about it here anyway.
They’re five years away from opening anything of substance if they starting digging at midnight tonight.

See that’s the kicker with iger’s “blue ocean” park strategy. They have believed they must do NOTHING…even though they got caught flat footed on two huge occasions…

So will they build something? Of course.
But that wasn’t your stance…you took that PR stunt $17 bil and made up a fake invoice for the future with it…

I’ll edit my self: they have no intention of doing anything RIGHT NOW.

Tssk tsk

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

You do understand they insisted on reedy cause they knew the government in the area couldn’t do it?

They couldn’t if they had to start today. It was and still is a mammoth operation to build and maintain.

You know at one time the largest single source funded private construction project in history was built in wdw?

That was world history…by the way.

1684716918674.jpeg

MagicHappens1971

The problem is that unless something changes about Disneys construction speed, even if they broke ground tonight, nothing of major substance would open for another 3-5 years.

They can barley do a retheme in less than two years.

No one is saying that they’re not going to build anything new, or that they won’t even build the “Blue Sky” plans.

I am not in the camp that EU is going to steal enough guests to make a huge dent, Disney needs to have something built, and now. I can’t believe they didn’t learn from WWoHP and the knee-jerk, half a**ed New Fantasyland

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The problem is that unless something changes about Disneys construction speed, even if they broke ground tonight, nothing of major substance would open for another 3-5 years.

No one is saying that they’re not going to build anything new, or that they won’t even build the “Blue Sky” plans.

I am not in the camp that EU is going to steal enough guests to make a huge dent, Disney needs to have something built, and now. I can’t believe they didn’t learn from WWoHP and the knee-jerk, half a**ed New Fantasyland
Again, kinda off topic, but the $17B was forecasted capital spend over a decade, so cash out the door for capitalized projects at WDW. A large chunk of that is just upkeep on existing attractions which would be difficult to pull back. If a new project started tomorrow and takes 5 years to open they are still spending money over those 5 years, maybe not evenly 1/5 each year but it’s not like the cash out the door all happens when the attraction opens. Even if Disney is slow to build and people think they spend way more than they should for attractions and lands it doesn’t change the financial impact of not spending that money. It’s construction jobs and eventually new permanent jobs, etc. This isn’t about park fan discussions on whether or not what they spend money on is worth it or if it’s enough to compete with Universal. If they spend a few hundred million on a new DVC resort it’s still a few hundred million into the local economy even if park fans think it’s a waste of money or poorly themed. Same goes for expanding Disney Springs, building a skyliner or re-theming a boat ride.

Wendy Pleakley

Whatever side you're on, there are some good things coming about from the change. The Emergency Services personnel finally will have a contract with raises and new vehicles.

Does this get invalidated if the oversight board gets shut down via the lawsuits?

Also, is this something Disney ultimately pays for? A case of sticking it to Disney by being generous in negotiations?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Does this get invalidated if the oversight board gets shut down via the lawsuits?

Also, is this something Disney ultimately pays for? A case of sticking it to Disney by being generous in negotiations?
Yes, the taxpayers pay for the additional cost. Mostly Disney but they pass some on to DVC owners and Disney Springs vendors.

I don’t know what happens to the contract if Disney wins the lawsuit. I think it will likely be void and have to be re-done. I would hope that Disney wouldn’t consider pulling back the pay increases, but they could maybe re-evaluate the new equipment. It’s a big mess and the EMS workers are potential collateral damage here. Disney should do what’s right and honor the contract or at least the pay raises if they win in court.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

…you stole my lines, baby…

I work alone 😎

Wendy Pleakley

Yes, the taxpayers pay for the additional cost. Mostly Disney but they pass some on to DVC owners and Disney Springs vendors.

I don’t know what happens to the contract if Disney wins the lawsuit. I think it will likely be void and have to be re-done. I would hope that Disney wouldn’t consider pulling back the pay increases, but they could maybe re-evaluate the new equipment. It’s a big mess and the EMS workers are potential collateral damage here. Disney should do what’s right and honor the contract or at least the pay raises if they win in court.

For me that would depend on whether or not the pay raises were egregious. I have zero insight as to whether or not this is a reasonable contract so I can only speculate that it might be done in a way to punish Disney.

Which is another example of how this is so messy and wrong. Disney pays more in taxes under the original agreement in order to retain more control.

Now, we have Disney being forced to pay on a contract that might be unreasonable. If the district was dissolved completely and the tax burden had been returned to the state, this wouldn't be an issue. Florida wants to have their cake and eat it too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Brian

For me that would depend on whether or not the pay raises were egregious. I have zero insight as to whether or not this is a reasonable contract so I can only speculate that it might be done in a way to punish Disney.

Which is another example of how this is so messy and wrong. Disney pays more in taxes under the original agreement in order to retain more control.

Now, we have Disney being forced to pay on a contract that might be unreasonable. If the district was dissolved completely and the tax burden had been returned to the state, this wouldn't be an issue. Florida wants to have their cake and eat it too.
The firefighter union and RCID had been in contract negotiations for some time. DeSantis has placed tremendous emphasis on supporting first responders during his time in office, so it's unsurprising that a DeSantis-appointed board is also a pro-first responder board. When they took over, they were much easier to negotiate with than the former RCID board, and if I'm not mistaken, came to an agreement after only two weeks of negotiations.

In short, I don't think this was a way to "punish" Disney as much as it was merely a result of a board with a different mentality.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom