Redd the Pirate to Receive Makeover

Lirael

It's weird to make this change before the movie is even out (or being made). The last PoTC movies had a mediocre reception so there isn't any reason to assume the next movie will be a hit. It'd be smarter to wait for it to come out and see reception before spending money on things no one wants, no one needs and no one might care for.

Ravenclaw78

That is absurd. Look I am a male but I do have a younger sister, and two younger fenale cousins who i used to ride the ride with all the timr growing up and thry loved it and never complained about the auction. Tod eit with my grandmother many times before she passed along with my mother and they loved it. What you are stating is not factually true.
OK, I'll bite. Exactly what part of what I said is not factually true? Keep in mind that I made no blanket statements like "every woman feels this way," which would obviously be incorrect.

britain

If Redd is their first LGBTQ main character, I won't be surprised.

I’ll bet money here are your next film’s heroines:

Attachments

• 58CDE4F3-2AC7-48EB-BA16-35AA2C3B3453.jpeg
    58CDE4F3-2AC7-48EB-BA16-35AA2C3B3453.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 216

Dutch Inn '76

It's weird to make this change before the movie is even out (or being made). The last PoTC movies had a mediocre reception so there isn't any reason to assume the next movie will be a hit. It'd be smarter to wait for it to come out and see reception before spending money on things no one wants, no one needs and no one might care for.

Exactly. This has the look of grasping at straws...

Lirael

Exactly. This has the look of grasping at straws...
This is starting to look like money laundering 😆. In the middle of a financial crisis caused by the pandemic and the limitations to operations that it imposes, now more than ever is the time that it would make sense for Disney to sit down and not spend money on things literally no one wanted and more likely than not will not bring any extra revenue.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My (then 8 year-old) daughter was rather unhappy about Disney depicting a woman being sold into slavery when she rode it, and was thrilled with the new Redd.
In the current incarnation, the laugh I get is in comparing the scene to a Los Angeles episode of Antiques Roadshow. The new Redd, for me, has become a sock puppet for the revisionist historians, making pirates look like connoisseurs of fine collectibles instead of the marauding plunderers they actually were.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

OK, I'll bite. Exactly what part of what I said is not factually true? Keep in mind that I made no blanket statements like "every woman feels this way," which would obviously be incorrect.
Your overall point that women didn't enjoy the auction scene and had an issue with it and that I had to be a woman to understand that.

DCLcruiser

Was the auction historically accurate? Yes.
Could someone find it offensive or immoral? Yes.

Was having a pirate chase after a woman historically accurate? Yes.
Did Disney change the scene to show women ALSO chasing after the Pirates? Yes.

So...Disney has already taken a stance to make scenes family friendly. Showing women as property probably doesn't fit what Disney would like to represent.

Did I, as a man, mind the original scene? Not really, bc I always just thought of it as part of the historically accurate story. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be updated.

drizgirl

Just curious, are you female? If you're male and can't understand why a young girl might not feel the way you did, you might want to consider that your perspective is not the only valid one. My (then 8 year-old) daughter was rather unhappy about Disney depicting a woman being sold into slavery when she rode it, and was thrilled with the new Redd.
I'm female. And I have a daughter. It never bothered either of us.

Ravenclaw78

Then I have to ask if that is not what you were saying, then what the heck was your original point about the auction scene? It seems your point to me was unless you were a woman, you can't understand why the scene would be offensive. and if you are now saying that was not your point, then what was your point?

I never said you had to be a woman to understand why the scene would be offensive. That would be ridiculous, given that I am a man. I said that if you were male and couldn't understand why some would find the scene offensive, that you should consider that your viewpoint is not the only valid one. You played the "I never saw anything wrong with this ride as a kid, so any suggestion that there might be something wrong is incorrect and overly PC" card. I provided the opinion of another kid who has a different viewpoint than yours.

Likewise, I never claimed that my daughter's opinion is held by all girls or women. I know a lot who do agree with her, but I also know some that don't. That's the funny thing about genders - they're not monolithic constructs and individuals within them have a wide range of personalities.

I'm female. And I have a daughter. It never bothered either of us.
And that's fine, I'm not here to be a gatekeeper. As I've said in previous replies, it would be absurd for me to claim every woman believes the auction scene was inappropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nerdman3000

No idea. I guess I was confused... I thought there was a new pirates movie, but I didn't realise there are two in development?
From my understanding there are two Pirates of the Caribbean films in development, the first aforementioned one with Margot Robbie which is supposed to be a spinoff, and second a reboot of the original series by the Chernobyl creators which from what I understand may star Karen Gillan, or at least that's whom Disney supposedly has been in talks with, according to DisInsider.

So assuming the Karen Gillan rumor turns out to be true, then maybe she's who's playing Redd?

WDW Pro

Original Poster
From my understanding there are two Pirates of the Caribbean films in development, the first aforementioned one with Margot Robbie which is supposed to be a spinoff, and second a reboot of the original series by the Chernobyl creators which from what I understand may star Karen Gillan, or at least that's whom Disney supposedly has been in talks with, according to DisInsider.

So assuming the Karen Gillan rumor turns out to be true, then maybe she's who's playing Redd?

Things have changed greatly since this thread was started. Disney may still yet follow through, but discretionary spending is essentially stopped and I don't think the new Pirates movie have solid release dates any longer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom