Recipe???

Jekyll Baker

wannabeBelle, just so you don't think I was ignoring you, I don't think I was on here yesterday, and TigsMom beat me to the answer :)

But I can't believe bus trips just to a Walmart. I guess here in the south we take them for granted - it seems there's a Super Walmart in almost every town down here (my closest one is 12 miles away, only because I live "in the country" about 10 miles outside the city limits). That's not far though, 'cause here in south GA, some of us are used to driving 30-40 miles just to see a movie in a theatre or for decent shopping.

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Hey there Jekyll, Thanks for being so thoughtful. Not that it terrifically helped. I went all over this afternoon looking for this stupid Asiago cheese and I couldnt find it anywhere!!!!! Dont I live in NYC one of the culinary capitals of the world??? What is up with this!!! I found a mozzarella and asiago blend with garlic in it but no plain asiago!!!! GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Belle

tigsmom

Jekyll Baker said:
wannabeBelle, just so you don't think I was ignoring you, I don't think I was on here yesterday, and TigsMom beat me to the answer :)

But I can't believe bus trips just to a Walmart. I guess here in the south we take them for granted - it seems there's a Super Walmart in almost every town down here (my closest one is 12 miles away, only because I live "in the country" about 10 miles outside the city limits). That's not far though, 'cause here in south GA, some of us are used to driving 30-40 miles just to see a movie in a theatre or for decent shopping.

Its only been 3 years since the Super WalMart was built, until then there were none even remotely close by.

I was there today and the buses were there as usual.

tigsmom

wannabeBelle said:
Hey there Jekyll, Thanks for being so thoughtful. Not that it terrifically helped. I went all over this afternoon looking for this stupid Asiago cheese and I couldnt find it anywhere!!!!! Dont I live in NYC one of the culinary capitals of the world??? What is up with this!!! I found a mozzarella and asiago blend with garlic in it but no plain asiago!!!! GGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR Belle

Do you have an Italian deli nearby? You only have to buy the amount specified, it won't be that expensive.

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
tigsmom said:
Do you have an Italian deli nearby? You only have to buy the amount specified, it won't be that expensive.
I am going to my favorite one today and I will look to see if they have it!!! This place is particularly nice so hopefully they will!!!!!!!!!!! Jeez all this over a little bit of cheese!!!
I have several places that do cannolis really well here in Staten Island. Then again if I really want to get exotic I can go to Little Italy which isnt too far from where I work. If one cannot find a good cannoli in Little Italy, you have got REALLY big problems!!! Belle

tigsmom

wannabeBelle said:
I am going to my favorite one today and I will look to see if they have it!!! This place is particularly nice so hopefully they will!!!!!!!!!!! Jeez all this over a little bit of cheese!!!
Belle

Make sure you taste it first. Some people don't like the flavor (my kids don't). I like stronger cheeses (I prefer romano over parmesan); if you don't like it just substitute.

barnum42

wannabeBelle said:
If one cannot find a good cannoli in Little Italy, you have got REALLY big problems!!! Belle
I've tried assorted Italian delis over here - they have not even HEARD of cannoli, much less stock them.

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
tigsmom said:
Make sure you taste it first. Some people don't like the flavor (my kids don't). I like stronger cheeses (I prefer romano over parmesan); if you don't like it just substitute.
Well I have already had the recipe that you found for us and it was AWESOME!!!!!!! I grew up Italian ( Pay no attention to the Irish looks) so I tend to like provolone (not the slicing kind the other one) and romano cheese as well. Give me some provolone, some nice sesame seeded italian bread, a bunch of olives and a glass of white zinfandel and there is a party going on!!!!! The only thing is I dont like anything spicy. Too much black pepper can be too much for me. The asiago should be fine though. What is the texture on this like? As I said I have only had it in the Wild Mushroom chicken pasta dish. I havent ever seen it by itself. Belle

tigsmom

wannabeBelle said:
Well I have already had the recipe that you found for us and it was AWESOME!!!!!!! I grew up Italian ( Pay no attention to the Irish looks) so I tend to like provolone (not the slicing kind the other one) and romano cheese as well. Give me some provolone, some nice sesame seeded italian bread, a bunch of olives and a glass of white zinfandel and there is a party going on!!!!! The only thing is I dont like anything spicy. Too much black pepper can be too much for me. The asiago should be fine though. What is the texture on this like? As I said I have only had it in the Wild Mushroom chicken pasta dish. I havent ever seen it by itself. Belle

When they sliced it it was crumbly, but soft.(does that make sense).
When I bought it shredded from Sargento, it felt like slightly dried mozzarella. Would that be a semi hard cheese?
It melted beautifully in the chicken dish I used it in. (the cheese stuffing was under the chicken skin)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
If you have a Panera restaurant nearby you've probably had asiago - they bake it into their bread.

Doesn't subway do the same thing now?

Asiago, as i know it, tends to be a little on the "sharp" side with a hint of that parmeasean type musk and a smidge of spice like zesty tomato sauce but nothing too strong.

tigsmom

mousermerf said:
If you have a Panera restaurant nearby you've probably had asiago - they bake it into their bread.

Doesn't subway do the same thing now?

Asiago, as i know it, tends to be a little on the "sharp" side with a hint of that parmeasean type musk and a smidge of spice like zesty tomato sauce but nothing too strong.

We don't have a Panera near by, but one will be opening within the next year. I've heard nothing but good things about them. :slurp:

I had never had asiago until a few months ago and its become one of my favorite.

kelleykevin

Cinderella's Castle Recipes

I didn't see any recipes for any meals that were served at Cindy's Castle from their dinner menu anywhere - so I am not sure if anyone will have this - but I am going to give it a shot.

The chocolate cake they serve for dessert is AMAZING!!!! It's got a fudge like frosting and you get two pretty big pieces. If anyone knows how to make this - I would greatly appreciate it (husband's b-day coming up soon).

Also - they serve rolls before dinner - I think they call them pretzel rolls/bread, because they look like a pretzel.

Any insight with recipes for these two items would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

tigsmom

kelleykevin said:
I didn't see any recipes for any meals that were served at Cindy's Castle from their dinner menu anywhere - so I am not sure if anyone will have this - but I am going to give it a shot.

The chocolate cake they serve for dessert is AMAZING!!!! It's got a fudge like frosting and you get two pretty big pieces. If anyone knows how to make this - I would greatly appreciate it (husband's b-day coming up soon).

Also - they serve rolls before dinner - I think they call them pretzel rolls/bread, because they look like a pretzel.

Thanks!!

I did a quick search for these and came up empty. Unfortunately I'm leaving shortly for a 3 week vacation & won't have time to do a deeper search. Maybe one of our other "foodies" can help. :wave:

wannabeBelle

Original Poster
Well I can tell you the pretzel bread is pre-made and ordered from a company in Canada. I havent had any luck gettig a distributor or a store that carries it here in the USA. Belle

Jekyll Baker

kelleykevin said:

Thanks!!

Sorry I've never eaten at Cindy's so I'm not sure what their cakes or breads are like. However, a great "fudge like frosting" that I use often is ganache. It's a simple multi-purpose fudge, depending on the temperature it's used at.

GANACHE

1 1/2 cups heavy cream
12 ounces semisweet and/or bittersweet chocolate

(it's actually equal weights of cream and chocolate)

Put chocolate into heat-proof bowl. In saucepan, bring cream to a rolling boil, careful that it doesn't over boil the pot. Pour the boiling cream over the chocolate and stir until completely smooth. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of ganache to prevent a skin forming. Let cool. Can be stored at room temperature about 5-7 days, depending on the room.

To use:
1) use warm as a fondue or for hot fudge sundaes.
2) use when cool to touch, but still liquid, to glaze a cake. Carefully pour over cake until completely coated, then let cool or chill completely. Gives a nice and glossy smooth chocolate glaze.
3) make a day or two ahead and keep at room temperature. The ganache should then be spreadable - use as you would any frosting. Gives a nice fudgy, slightly glossy appearance.
4) when cool and slightly liquidy or made a day or two ahead, whip the ganache with an electric mixer. This adds air and makes the ganache into a thicker and fluffier chocolate frosting. (Just remember, if whipped too much and it gets too stiff, it can be re-melted to start over)
5) refrigerate the ganache a day. Scoop ganache by small spoonfuls, roll into balls, and roll in cocoa powder, powdered sugar, or melted coating chocolate, to create traditional truffles. (A little liqueur of choice can be added before chilling the ganache for a little extra punch, just don't add too much or the ganache won't solidify sufficiently).

Hope this helps a little.

kelleykevin

Thanks for your help! I guess I'll just have to see if I can make another trip soon to get my fill of those rolls! :)
I will give the ganache recipe a try.

Thanks again!

tigsmom

QUESO FUNDIDO
San Angel Inn Restaurante, Mexico EPCOT

1/2 pound muenster cheese
1/4 pound chorizo sausage
6 flour tortillas

Slice or grate cheese and set aside.
Peel chorizo sausage and cut into large chunks. Saute in a small frying pan until nicely browned. Break up sausage into small pieces while browning and drain any excess fat.

Lightly butter an oven & broiler proof casserole dish. Arrange half the cheese in bottom of casserole dish. Top with cooked sausage and remaining cheese. Broil until cheeses melts & lightly browns.

Warm tortillas and cut into quarters. Spoon sausage-cheese mixture onto tortilla pieces and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings

tigsmom

SOPA AZTECA

San Angel Inn Restaurante, Mexico EPCOT

3 tbs olive oil, divided
1/3 cup onion, chopped
1 1/3 cups tomatoes, peeled, seeded & chopped
1 tsp garlic
1 quart rich chicken broth
2 tbs fresh dill, chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
2 whole red chili peppers, fresh
4 soft corn tortillas
1/2 c ripe avocado, cubed
4 tbs sour cream
1/4 cup Monteray Jack cheese, shredded

Heat 2 tbs oil in a large saucepot. Saute onion, tomnatoes & garlic until tender, about 5 minutes. Add chickem broth and dill; cover & simmer for 20 minutes.

Remove seeds & stems from peppers and cut each into 2 pieces lenghtwise. Cut tortillas into 1/3 inch strips and set aside. Heat remaining oil & saute peppers for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove & drain on a paper towel. Add tortilla strips to the skillet & cook until golden brown. Remove and drain separately on a paper towel.

Divide peppers, tortilla strips, and avocado cubes amongst 4 heavy ceramic or clay bowls. Pour hot chicken broth into bowls. Garnish with sour cream & cheese.

Yields: 4 servings

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom