Recent Visit.. Spotted REAL RODENT šŸ˜³

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Bring in some of those Feral Cats that are in abundance in Disneyland.

I know my kitty would have a blast. Or maybe not. Probably not.

IMG_20180411_190050.jpg

Skibum1970

I grew up in the country, surrounded by soybeans, corn, and cattle. My mother kept a clean house but that didn't stop field mice from coming in, especially since our house was built in 1904 and had plenty of boltholes. One evening, a rat ran through the kitchen and scared my sisters to death. After that, we had rat traps that could break your finger. Never saw the offender again. At least, not alive.

Also, when we brought our cats indoor to catch mice, they thought that it was a great vacation and spent most of the time sleeping on our beds.

Point being, it doesn't matter what you do. Rodents are all around us but are generally sneaky enough that we don't see them often. Rats, in particular, are fairly intelligent and hide quite well. I could argue that they are smarter than a fair number of WDW guests. The food, trash, woods, and open air environment just provide a perfect place to live as a rat. Kind of an American version of Ratatouille.

Goofyernmost

I grew up in the country, surrounded by soybeans, corn, and cattle. My mother kept a clean house but that didn't stop field mice from coming in, especially since our house was built in 1904 and had plenty of boltholes. One evening, a rat ran through the kitchen and scared my sisters to death. After that, we had rat traps that could break your finger. Never saw the offender again. At least, not alive.

Also, when we brought our cats indoor to catch mice, they thought that it was a great vacation and spent most of the time sleeping on our beds.

Point being, it doesn't matter what you do. Rodents are all around us but are generally sneaky enough that we don't see them often. Rats, in particular, are fairly intelligent and hide quite well. I could argue that they are smarter than a fair number of WDW guests. The food, trash, woods, and open air environment just provide a perfect place to live as a rat. Kind of an American version of Ratatouille.
Yes, common misconception is the you get rodents because you have a dirty house or are a generally a bad housekeeper. They don't come in for the atmosphere, they come in looking for food and that is amazingly easy to find in most places.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Yes, common misconception is the you get rodents because you have a dirty house or are a generally a bad housekeeper. They don't come in for the atmosphere, they come in looking for food and that is amazingly easy to find in most places.

Yep exactly they come in no matter how clean a home you have if they want to. And will eat through food boxes that are saved or closed/sealed packages to get what they want. So even if you donā€™t have a crumb to be found on your floor or counter they will find something. Just like those huge American roaches/palmetto bugs they arenā€™t a cleanliness issue they actually prefer outside but come in when door is open etc mainly in the summer and where itā€™s moist in the south (only the smaller roach species like one example German roaches prefer Inside and usually are the ones that infest homes). People freak out for One roach and itā€™s like as long as thatā€™s all you see kill it and move on. Happens in the cleanest of homes on occasion. ;)

Goofyernmost

Yep exactly they come in no matter how clean a home you have if they want to. And will eat through food boxes that are saved or closed/sealed packages to get what they want. So even if you donā€™t have a crumb to be found on your floor or counter they will find something. Just like those huge American roaches/palmetto bugs they arenā€™t a cleanliness issue they actually prefer outside but come in when door is open etc mainly in the summer and where itā€™s moist in the south (only the smaller roach species like one example German roaches prefer Inside and usually are the ones that infest homes). People freak out for One roach and itā€™s like as long as thatā€™s all you see kill it and move on. Happens in the cleanest of homes on occasion. ;)
One of my pet peaves. Those roaches are always wrongly identified as Cockroaches. They aren't. Cockroaches will live inside probably longer then humans. The roaches you are talking about a fairly good sized but they are slow and are frequently seen out in the open casually tooling along. Easy to stomp on or drop a big book on. If left alone they die very shortly after finding their way inside. Not enough moisture in the house to sustain them. Around here they are called water roaches or lawn roaches. Cockroaches are much smarter otherwise they wouldn't have survived since dino's wandered the earth. The only occasionally get seen if you turn a light on in the dark, but, they don't stay out there very long.

ProfSavage

One of my pet peaves. Those roaches are always wrongly identified as Cockroaches. They aren't. Cockroaches will live inside probably longer then humans. The roaches you are talking about a fairly good sized but they are slow and are frequently seen out in the open casually tooling along. Easy to stomp on or drop a big book on. If left alone they die very shortly after finding their way inside. Not enough moisture in the house to sustain them. Around here they are called water roaches or lawn roaches. Cockroaches are much smarter otherwise they wouldn't have survived since dino's wandered the earth. The only occasionally get seen if you turn a light on in the dark, but, they don't stay out there very long.

Here in the south, we call those Palmetto Bugs, but I know exactly what you're talking about. They're actually American Cockroaches (with the Palmetto Bug actually being Florida woods cockroach). They're in the cockroach family but not nearly as bad as say... the German cockroach. Have a bunch of those infesting your house? Might as well move.

sxeensweet

Love a little Disney every day!! ;)
Surprise to everyone, rodents exist everywhere... Even the cleanest of restaurants can have little guys hiding. It's just the reality of the world.
Yep I donā€™t get how someone thinks rodents pick and choose one place over another. Nowhere is totally immune to them no matter how clean something is they will be around at some point. :cool:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah.. real joke... Not many RATS here in New England.. and I'm not laughing after the money we spent at WDW.. so all the folks acting like it's no big deal.. if I didn't care about rats wondering the grounds.. I'd go to Atlantic City or Some cheap Carnival.. Just surprised to see the changes in the conditions of the Park..... Have fun... ExpertsšŸ˜³
Itā€™s called nature. It happens.

But welcome to WDWMagic :)

Goofyernmost

Here in the south, we call those Palmetto Bugs, but I know exactly what you're talking about. They're actually American Cockroaches (with the Palmetto Bug actually being Florida woods cockroach). They're in the cockroach family but not nearly as bad as say... the German cockroach. Have a bunch of those infesting your house? Might as well move.
Right.... I forgot to mention the Palmetto Bug. We can't call them that in NC because we have no Palm trees here and that would sound weird, but, yes that is what they are. Harmless and annoying and have a very short life span once inside unlike classic cockroaches that seem to live forever.

Tony the Tigger

Right.... I forgot to mention the Palmetto Bug. We can't call them that in NC because we have no Palm trees here and that would sound weird, but, yes that is what they are. Harmless and annoying and have a very short life span once inside unlike classic cockroaches that seem to live forever.

Seriously? Down here in Fort Lauderdale, you spray those guys with Raid and they turn around and charge at you, sometimes flying at you. Thank God we have regular bug service, havenā€™t seen one in the house in years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom