Reader’s Corner

Songbird76

I just finished one someone on here mentioned not too long ago....In the Company of Witches by Auralee Wallace. I had to go order the 2nd one, because I really enjoyed the first!

My daughter and I pretty much share all our Christmas presents...we got The Princess Bride by William Goldman, As You Wish by Cary Elwes, The Testaments by Margaret Atwood, and They Both Die At the End by Adam Silvera. And of course I ordered When the Crow's Away by Auralee Wallace last night. I'm also planning to order Pumpkin Spice Cafe, but it looks like it's only available in E-book form.

Songbird76

Ok, I just finished A Boy Called Christmas for my book club and it was awful! Thank goodness it was short....apparently it's supposed to be a children's book, and the writing is definitely child level, but it's so dark. Exploding head "humor", dying parents, horrible people....it's like if someone tried to turn the Holocaust into a fairytale. But I notice it's the same author as another book on my to-read list, the Midnight Library, which I know someone mentioned reading. Should I strike that off my list? Is that just this author's writing style? Or should I give him a second chance and consider this book a fluke?

erstwo

Ok, I just finished A Boy Called Christmas for my book club and it was awful! Thank goodness it was short....apparently it's supposed to be a children's book, and the writing is definitely child level, but it's so dark. Exploding head "humor", dying parents, horrible people....it's like if someone tried to turn the Holocaust into a fairytale. But I notice it's the same author as another book on my to-read list, the Midnight Library, which I know someone mentioned reading. Should I strike that off my list? Is that just this author's writing style? Or should I give him a second chance and consider this book a fluke?
Midnight Library was a great book.

There were parts where I wanted to give up (sections I thought were weird and pointless) but overall - liked it.
Although - full disclosure - I read it at nearly the same times as The Starless Sea (another ‘library’ book) and I sometimes get them confused.

lisak09

I seen a thing about tomorrow being "stuff your kindle" day, when there are apparently loads of free ebooks! I never heard of this before so I'm a bit sceptical. Does anyone know if this is a real thing?

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I seen a thing about tomorrow being "stuff your kindle" day, when there are apparently loads of free ebooks! I never heard of this before so I'm a bit sceptical. Does anyone know if this is a real thing?
I hadn’t heard about that but if you find anything else about it let us know!

Tiki Traveler

IMG_1339.jpeg
Still tackling my pile of books from home. Honestly I did not feel the need to read more about the old money of NYC versus the new money of NYC and contemplated donating this book right away. However there was a subplot that is semi autobiographical, one of the characters is grieving the murder of his daughter and is plotting his revenge. Sadly Dominick Dunne‘s daughter was also murdered in real life.

I did finish the book but have two books written more recently lined up. Here’s to lots of great reads in 2024! 🎉🥳

Songbird76

Finished More Than Maybe. It was really cute. I like YA and Romance, but I know not everyone does, so it definitely isn't for everyone, but I liked it. I have all Erin Hahn's books on Kindle... I'm not sure they are even available in paperback. I don't remember. But she is my cousin's good friend from back in high school and my cousin is an avid reader, so I was pretty sure if she said they were good that they would be, and they are. So I guess I'm on to the next one...You'd Be Mine.

lisak09

I just finished Slack Jaw by Eoin Brady and I'm about a quarter of the way through Weep by Eoin Brady. They're basically about a zombie apocalypse set here in Ireland from two different peoples perspectives! They're really good (if you like that kind of thing which I do!) and quite scary 😂 Screenshot_20240106-154836_Goodreads.jpgScreenshot_20240106-154856_Goodreads.jpg

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I just finished Slack Jaw by Eoin Brady and I'm about a quarter of the way through Weep by Eoin Brady. They're basically about a zombie apocalypse set here in Ireland from two different peoples perspectives! They're really good (if you like that kind of thing which I do!) and quite scary 😂 View attachment 761864View attachment 761865
Added to my list . Thank you.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
IMG_8499.jpeg

Just finished book #1 of 2024! As others have said, “Remarkably Bright Creatures” is so, so good. It’s about a 70-year-old woman who lost her son to a drowning accident when he was 18 years old, and then lost her husband to cancer a couple years prior to the events of the book. She takes a part-time job cleaning after hours at her local aquarium, where she forms a bond with an octopus. It sounds strange, but it really is such a heartwarming story.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom