Reader’s Corner

k8einwdw

Original Poster
IMG_8521.jpeg

Book #2 of 2024 was “The Simple Wild” by K.A. Tucker. This is the first in a four-book series.

The main character is Calla, a spoiled, self-absorbed girl in her mid-twenties who lives in Toronto with her mom and stepdad. Her parents met when they were young, and her mom moved from Toronto to rural Alaska, where she was born, to be with her dad, who is a bush pilot. Her mom could not handle life in rural Alaska, and left her dad (and took Calla) when Calla was a toddler. Calla’s dad has not once visited Calla in Toronto, and she ultimately cut ties with him when she was fourteen. Fast forward to the beginning of the book, and Calls gets a call from one of her dad’s friends, saying that he has lung cancer, and she needs to come to Alaska to see him while she still can. She decides to go for it, and is in for a huge culture shock when she arrives in Alaska. While there, she meets her dad’s next door neighbor, Jonah, who is also a bush pilot who works for her dad. At first, they clash, but eventually they set aside their differences to become friends, and maybe more…

I loved this book so much that I finished it on Saturday afternoon, and turned around and re-read my favorite chapters on Saturday night. I ordered the second book in the series, which I started last night. I absolutely fell in love with the characters, and I can’t wait to hear more of their stories.

Minnesota disney fan

View attachment 763074

Book #2 of 2024 was “The Simple Wild” by K.A. Tucker. This is the first in a four-book series.

The main character is Calla, a spoiled, self-absorbed girl in her mid-twenties who lives in Toronto with her mom and stepdad. Her parents met when they were young, and her mom moved from Toronto to rural Alaska, where she was born, to be with her dad, who is a bush pilot. Her mom could not handle life in rural Alaska, and left her dad (and took Calla) when Calla was a toddler. Calla’s dad has not once visited Calla in Toronto, and she ultimately cut ties with him when she was fourteen. Fast forward to the beginning of the book, and Calls gets a call from one of her dad’s friends, saying that he has lung cancer, and she needs to come to Alaska to see him while she still can. She decides to go for it, and is in for a huge culture shock when she arrives in Alaska. While there, she meets her dad’s next door neighbor, Jonah, who is also a bush pilot who works for her dad. At first, they clash, but eventually they set aside their differences to become friends, and maybe more…

I loved this book so much that I finished it on Saturday afternoon, and turned around and re-read my favorite chapters on Saturday night. I ordered the second book in the series, which I started last night. I absolutely fell in love with the characters, and I can’t wait to hear more of their stories.
This book and author sounds like something I would really like. Can you tell me the name of the first book in the series?
Thanks so much:)

erstwo

IMG_7869.jpeg
I’ve finished a few. In no particular order: Mad Honey. Like all Jodi Picoult - it was a bit of a mystery and had quite a twist.

I’m not really a fan of hers - but this was a book club pick, so on the list it went. It was a good one. Without giving too much away - it tore at my heart a little- as it would any mom’s.
By the by - on my last Orlando trip there were two other ladies in the airport toting this book. Seems to be popular.

IMG_7870.jpeg
‘Personal Librarian’ was excellent. I sought it out after reading’The Only Woman in the Room’ Late last year.
Again - a great book - a fictionalized account of a woman I knew so little about, but we probably all should know.

lisak09

Just finished this, I needed something light with less zombies after starting off the year with Bradys Weep books (which I enjoyed but aren't exactly light and fluffy😂
This was perfect for that and I really enjoyed, I've also enjoyed Beth O Leary's other books particularly The Flat Share.Screenshot_20240124-124803_Goodreads.jpg

Last edited:

k8einwdw

Original Poster
IMG_8549.jpeg

Book #4 for 2024 was my first non-fiction book of the year. I’m a little late to the game on this one, as it’s been on the best-seller lists for a few years now, but I hadn’t heard of it until last year. It’s the memoir of a woman who grew up in rural Idaho, as the youngest of seven children.

Her father was (is) paranoid about the outside world. The children were born at home and had never been to a doctor - their mother treated everything from illnesses to serious injuries with herbs and essential oils. The kids didn’t have birth certificates until they were older, because their father didn’t want them to be registered with the government. They did not attend public school, and didn’t get much of a homeschool education outside of learning to read. They were doomsday preppers, and lived in constant fear of “The Feds” coming for them.

I cannot imagine how exhausting it must be to live in constant fear of everything and everyone around you, but despite her wild upbringing, Tara (and two of her siblings) managed to beat the odds, and get a real education. This was an incredibly compelling story to read - I could not put it down.

Minnesota disney fan

View attachment 764919

Book #4 for 2024 was my first non-fiction book of the year. I’m a little late to the game on this one, as it’s been on the best-seller lists for a few years now, but I hadn’t heard of it until last year. It’s the memoir of a woman who grew up in rural Idaho, as the youngest of seven children.

Her father was (is) paranoid about the outside world. The children were born at home and had never been to a doctor - their mother treated everything from illnesses to serious injuries with herbs and essential oils. The kids didn’t have birth certificates until they were older, because their father didn’t want them to be registered with the government. They did not attend public school, and didn’t get much of a homeschool education outside of learning to read. They were doomsday preppers, and lived in constant fear of “The Feds” coming for them.

I cannot imagine how exhausting it must be to live in constant fear of everything and everyone around you, but despite her wild upbringing, Tara (and two of her siblings) managed to beat the odds, and get a real education. This was an incredibly compelling story to read - I could not put it down.
That sounds really interesting. Let us know how you like it:)

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Just finished this, I needed something light with less zombies after starting off the year with Bradys Weep books (which I enjoyed but aren't exactly light and fluffy😂
This was perfect for that and I really enjoyed, I've also enjoyed Beth O Leary's other books particularly The Flat Share.View attachment 764718
Since you like books set in Ireland (as do I, checking in from Roscommon!) check this one when you're looking for something light. It's one of a series set in different cities, and I've enjoyed all.of them that I've read.

Screenshot_20240125-184816_kindlephoto-43404750.png

lisak09

Since you like books set in Ireland (as do I, checking in from Roscommon!) check this one when you're looking for something light. It's one of a series set in different cities, and I've enjoyed all.of them that I've read.

View attachment 765051
Thanks! I just had a look at this on goodreads and I will definitely give it a go. I'm actually going to Kerry for a week in July for my 50th birthday so it will be perfect in the run up to that!
There are a few Irish author's I read, Marian Keyes is my favourite but I also really like Ciara Geraghty, Sinead Moriarty, Clare Dowling and Claudia Carroll. There's probably more that I just can't think of at the moment! I also want to try the new book written by Marie Cassidy the former state pathologist for Ireland, its called Body of Truth, a thriller also set in Ireland. She would definitely know her stuff!!

k8einwdw

Original Poster
I read the last two books of the Wild series by K.A. Tucker this week

IMG_8563.jpeg

“Forever Wild” is a novella that wraps up the story of the central couple in the first two books - both of their families fly in to spend the holidays with them, and it’s as fun as you’d expect

IMG_8580.jpeg

“Running Wild” shifts the focus to Marie, one of the secondary characters from the first three books. She is 38 years old and single, and feeling like she’ll never get her happily ever after. That is, until a competitive musher moves to town - they butt heads at first, but soon discover that they have more in common than either of them could have imagined.

I absolutely loved this entire series- I would love to see the author continue the series with more of Marie’s story!

Songbird76

I finished Happy Place by Emily Henry. OMG the feels!! I relate to so many different aspects of the characters. It's about a group of friends who get together for a week every year in their happy place, a vacation home in, I think it was Maine? Anyway, they are all so different, but I relate to a lot of their experiences. The one who tries so hard to achieve to make her parents happy. And growing up in a home where the parents were NOT happy, and so not having the best model for relationships. The one who never fit in in high school and was just so happy to find friends in college! The one who felt like they couldn't compete with siblings because they just weren't as good as the siblings were. There's just a LOT going on in this one. I went through so many emotions reading it.

I also read People We Meet on Vacation, also by Emily Henry. Not sure if I mentioned it before....I've been doing a LOT of reading in the last few weeks. But if I remember correctly, there were a few people on here who had read it, and it wasn't the favorite by this author, but I actually loved it.

And I just finished reading Mad Honey, because @erstwo said it was good, and I generally like Jodi Piccoult anyway. It was really good. Definitely a couple of twists, and it does tug on the mom heart strings. I was very slightly disappointed in the end, but I think it was realistic...just not how I wanted it to go, but then I'm not sure how I thought it should go, if that makes sense. But it was good.

erstwo

I finished Happy Place by Emily Henry. OMG the feels!! I relate to so many different aspects of the characters. It's about a group of friends who get together for a week every year in their happy place, a vacation home in, I think it was Maine? Anyway, they are all so different, but I relate to a lot of their experiences. The one who tries so hard to achieve to make her parents happy. And growing up in a home where the parents were NOT happy, and so not having the best model for relationships. The one who never fit in in high school and was just so happy to find friends in college! The one who felt like they couldn't compete with siblings because they just weren't as good as the siblings were. There's just a LOT going on in this one. I went through so many emotions reading it.

I also read People We Meet on Vacation, also by Emily Henry. Not sure if I mentioned it before....I've been doing a LOT of reading in the last few weeks. But if I remember correctly, there were a few people on here who had read it, and it wasn't the favorite by this author, but I actually loved it.

And I just finished reading Mad Honey, because @erstwo said it was good, and I generally like Jodi Piccoult anyway. It was really good. Definitely a couple of twists, and it does tug on the mom heart strings. I was very slightly disappointed in the end, but I think it was realistic...just not how I wanted it to go, but then I'm not sure how I thought it should go, if that makes sense. But it was good.
Glad you liked it!

I am struggling through a Holocaust survivor book. It is very good but also hard to read. I have no ‘support’ book to supplement it (does anyone else intersperse hard reads with light ones??) so it’s even harder.

Songbird76

Glad you liked it!

I am struggling through a Holocaust survivor book. It is very good but also hard to read. I have no ‘support’ book to supplement it (does anyone else intersperse hard reads with light ones??) so it’s even harder.
What's the Holocaust one called? I've read a couple. They are very heavy, but interesting. And important so history can't repeat.

I can't intersperse like that. I can only read one book at a time. Otherwise I get plot points mixed up. And I get so invested I just want to finish the one I'm reading, so I can't put it down for another.

erstwo

What's the Holocaust one called? I've read a couple. They are very heavy, but interesting. And important so history can't repeat.

I can't intersperse like that. I can only read one book at a time. Otherwise I get plot points mixed up. And I get so invested I just want to finish the one I'm reading, so I can't put it down for another.
The Choice: Embrace the Possible by Edith Eger

erstwo

IMG_8006.jpeg
I can’t remember if I recommend this one yet or not. It was in a pile of books I’m about to donate - but it was excellent. An easy read. Romantic comedy about a female writer for a sketch comedy show (SNL essentially) an interesting look into that world.
IMG_8007.jpeg
A great one. I didn’t love the ending - it actually felt like he forgot to finish the book if that makes sense??
If you’ve ever spent time in Lamar Valley in Yellowstone, it’s easy to be immersed in this book - the author really transports you there. An interesting insight into the NPS, the life of a NPS ranger, nature, and how the general public interacts with all of that. A mystery/ crime solving book too -but that’s just kind of the thread that holds the books stories together. (That may make no sense ! 🤣)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom