Reader’s Corner

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Christmas came early!

IMG_8332.jpeg
IMG_8333.jpeg

We got a new sectional in our living room over the summer, and it left a huge space in the corner (we previously had a couch and a loveseat, which took up more room). I had been pining after this reading chair for a while - it pulls out to a chaise, it has a cup holder, charging ports, and pockets for your books/Kindle. And to my surprise, my in-laws got it for me for Christmas! It was waiting for me when we got back from WDW this past weekend.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
View attachment 757947

My latest read - finished this one last night. This book is very very highly rated and recommended, but I have to admit, it wasn’t my cup of tea. On the surface level, it’s about two childhood friends that make video games together. On a deeper level, it’s about the human experience and the relationships we have along the way. It’s very well-written, there was just too much video game talk for me. 🤷🏻‍♀️
Was going to read this . Have put it off until tomorrow 😉

sheriffwoody

View attachment 757947

My latest read - finished this one last night. This book is very very highly rated and recommended, but I have to admit, it wasn’t my cup of tea. On the surface level, it’s about two childhood friends that make video games together. On a deeper level, it’s about the human experience and the relationships we have along the way. It’s very well-written, there was just too much video game talk for me. 🤷🏻‍♀️
This was a recent book club pick! All three of us felt like it wasn't worth the hype. I didn't mind the video game talk, I just got so frustrated with the characters and their utter lack of communication skills. Someone I know was arguing with me about it and saying it was a realistic depiction of how people navigate friendships especially with shared trauma...I don't know, I just wanted them to talk to each other and work out their problems instead of acting like they knew what the other person was feeling.

erstwo

View attachment 757947

I felt that way about the video game talk but then I feel that way about a lot of things about a lot of authors.
For example- When I read Tolken, I think ‘if I have to read one more three page description of a forest I will lose it.’ 😁 I tend to just skip those passages after a while.
I did the same thing with Tomorrow, Tomorrow, Tomorrow. Ultimately, loved it.
I have couple of friends who think it went too far with the life lessons (wasn’t plausible) but for me, I agree with you - it hit right on the mark of the human experience.

sheriffwoody

14569052.jpg

This was my last book in my challenge for the year (52). I picked it up because this author wrote an essay called "We Should All Be Feminists" that I really enjoyed. She's an EXCELLENT novelist. I'll admit the first half of this book had me feeling like maybe I'd judged wrong. It moved very slowly and not much happened besides getting to know the characters and the political situation in Nigeria. I really got invested in the second half, and it made sense to me why she needed to take time in the beginning to set up the tone. The best way I could describe this by the end was heartbreaking but oddly hopeful? It's not like gut-wrenching sad or anything, but your heart does break for the main character.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Tis the season! I'm about a third of the way through this and enjoying it so far. Has anyone got any other christmas themed recommendations?View attachment 758184

I just read this a couple weeks ago. My book club's selection is holiday themed it is called "Window Shopping" by Tessa Bailey. It was pretty good but I usually enjoy Tessa Bailey's books. She also has a new holiday one called "Wreck the Halls" but I haven't read it yet, I'm 9th in line for the next available copy at the library. I did buy a Kindle version of "Window Shopping", I think I got it for 99 cents.

I also read "The Christmas Wish" by Lindsey Kelk, it was a few rom-com. And I read "The Christmas Cupid" by Jennifer Joyce, it was a fun read too and this one was like a groundhog day type situation.

Another Christmas/winter book I picked up for 99cents on Amazon is "Snowed In" by Catherine Walsh. I haven't read it yet though.

There is also book five of the Bromance series that is called "A Very Merry Bromance" by Lyssa Kay Adams. Reading the other books in the series isn't necessary but helpful. It is a good series.

Lisa Kleypas has a series too where one of the books is called "Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor". I enjoyed this but I haven't read a Kleypas book I haven't liked. Again reading previous books is helpful but not necessary.

One that is maybe a little more racy but it was a fun read is "A Merry Little Meet Cute" By Julie Murphy and Sierra Simone. The premise is a star gets a role in a Hallmark type movie alongside an ex-boy band member who is trying to restore his reputation as a bad boy.

Another one I read was called the "Holiday Swap" by Maggie Knox. I read this awhile ago but it was about twin sister that swap spots. It was fun.

Some Holiday ones but not Christmas ones I read that were fun too were: "Holly Jolly Diwali" by Sonya Lalli, and " The Matzah Ball" by Jean Meltzer.

That's all holiday/Christmas related that I can find in my Kindle/Library feed. Hope you find one you like!

lisak09

I just read this a couple weeks ago. My book club's selection is holiday themed it is called "Window Shopping" by Tessa Bailey. It was pretty good but I usually enjoy Tessa Bailey's books. She also has a new holiday one called "Wreck the Halls" but I haven't read it yet, I'm 9th in line for the next available copy at the library. I did buy a Kindle version of "Window Shopping", I think I got it for 99 cents.

I also read "The Christmas Wish" by Lindsey Kelk, it was a few rom-com. And I read "The Christmas Cupid" by Jennifer Joyce, it was a fun read too and this one was like a groundhog day type situation.

Another Christmas/winter book I picked up for 99cents on Amazon is "Snowed In" by Catherine Walsh. I haven't read it yet though.

There is also book five of the Bromance series that is called "A Very Merry Bromance" by Lyssa Kay Adams. Reading the other books in the series isn't necessary but helpful. It is a good series.

Lisa Kleypas has a series too where one of the books is called "Christmas Eve at Friday Harbor". I enjoyed this but I haven't read a Kleypas book I haven't liked. Again reading previous books is helpful but not necessary.

One that is maybe a little more racy but it was a fun read is "A Merry Little Meet Cute" By Julie Murphy and Sierra Simone. The premise is a star gets a role in a Hallmark type movie alongside an ex-boy band member who is trying to restore his reputation as a bad boy.

Another one I read was called the "Holiday Swap" by Maggie Knox. I read this awhile ago but it was about twin sister that swap spots. It was fun.

Some Holiday ones but not Christmas ones I read that were fun too were: "Holly Jolly Diwali" by Sonya Lalli, and " The Matzah Ball" by Jean Meltzer.

That's all holiday/Christmas related that I can find in my Kindle/Library feed. Hope you find one you like!
Thanks! I read the Lindsey Kelk one but I'll definitely check out the others😊

Minnesota disney fan

Thank you so much for all these great suggestions The Merry Little Meet Cute sounds like a fun one and also holiday swap. I will check those both out:)

k8einwdw

Original Poster
She also has a new holiday one called "Wreck the Halls" but I haven't read it yet, I'm 9th in line for the next available copy at the library
Currently reading “Wreck the Halls!” Love love love Tessa Bailey.
I read this one last year. It was cute, very Hallmark-esque.

k8einwdw

Original Poster
Happy Birthday, @Minnesota disney fan!

Excited Happy Birthday GIF by Mickey Mouse

lisak09

Just finished this, really enjoyed it! It's the second in a series which I didn't realise when I started it (you don't actually need to read them in order), but after starting this one I remembered I did read the first one last year! It's also a christmas one called Holiday Romance, I think. It's also an enjoyable read.
I'm going to read Window Shopping by Tessa Bailey next.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231216-134654_Goodreads.jpg
    Screenshot_20231216-134654_Goodreads.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Just finished this, really enjoyed it! It's the second in a series which I didn't realise when I started it (you don't actually need to read them in order), but after starting this one I remembered I did read the first one last year! It's also a christmas one called Holiday Romance, I think. It's also an enjoyable read.
I'm going to read Window Shopping by Tessa Bailey next.

I am almost finished with the book I'm reading so I'll be starting Snowed In tomorrow.

erstwo

IMG_7579.jpeg
10/10 - great book. Very predictable ending but so fun to read. I think I will pick up another by this author at some point in 2024. Needed something light and fun - my book club book for January is an Auschwitz survivor book and I just had trouble sticking with it at this time of year (which is probably the point/ something to consider about why it’s still so important to read those books?? 💔) this fit the light and fun bill perfectly. If anyone else reads it let me know - would love to know thoughts - I thought there were so really cute ‘format’ (for lack of a better word?) things in this one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom