News Re-Usable Bag Price Increases

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Not in California, WalMart bags are a dime apiece. It really didn’t take people very long to change their behavior after throwaway bags were ‘banned,’ everyone takes reusable bags w/ them when they shop here.
Do they take them to Disneyland or Magic Mountain?

ABQ

Buy a ton of stuff and have it sent to your resort. You don’t have to carry it and it will most likely be in plastic bags- unless they want to throw in the reusable for free. 🙄 Either way, it will be in some sort of bag with slip attached.
Something else... Not to buy at WDW these days. 🙄

I like this idea. Send everything to your resort. Ev.er.y.thing.
Honest question, what are they placing merch in now if you do have it sent back to your resort? Used to be in the plastic bags with 187629+E7 staples and the 808 meter long green receipt.

cosmicgirl

Just offering a middle-ground. Not like it's going to happen
I understand that. :)
I think it's hard for them to win in this case. If the reusable bags are free there will be abuse, if they continue with the disposable ones they're not environmentally friendly, and if they charge for reusable ones they're cash grabbers. In my opinion the only middle ground where they looked good from all angles was the one they had implemented, but the price hike proved that finding middle ground was never their intention.

BoarderPhreak

Honest question, what are they placing merch in now if you do have it sent back to your resort? Used to be in the plastic bags with 187629+E7 staples and the 808 meter long green receipt.
Still the same, AFAIK. Just like having your groceries delivered by someone like Peapod... Plastic bags out the wazoo!

Disney4family

Minnie Mum

Much ado about nothing. Or very little. I get that Americans, unlike the majority of the rest of the world, are not in the habit of using reusable bags. But how much crap do you buy at WDW that would necessitate the purchase of more than one of 2 bags? Which you would then reuse both for the rest of your trip and then at home? If a couple of bucks is going to jeopardize your vacation, then bring some used grocery bags from home. Disney won't care, I promise.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Much ado about nothing. Or very little. I get that Americans, unlike the majority of the rest of the world, are not in the habit of using reusable bags. But how much crap do you buy at WDW that would necessitate the purchase of more than one of 2 bags? Which you would then reuse both for the rest of your trip and then at home? If a couple of bucks is going to jeopardize your vacation, then bring some used grocery bags from home. Disney won't care, I promise.

You’ve missed the Forrest for the trees. Re usable bags are fine.

Why has disney resorted to nearly doubling the prices just FOUR months after launching them?

Minnie Mum

You’ve missed the Forrest for the trees. Re usable bags are fine.

Why has disney resorted to nearly doubling the prices just FOUR months after launching them?
Because they can. It's a one time cost that is $1 more. Or at least it should be a one time cost, if you reuse them as intended. If that price is too much for you (general you), then just bring your own. Sorry, I can't seem to get my knickers in a twist over this one. They are already sufficiently twisted over some of the other increases.

Hawg G

Giving them away for free would be worse for the environment than the old plastic bags. Everyone would take a free bag even if they don't need it and there would be even more plastic being used (as the reusable bags use more plastic than the disposable ones). Yes some people will reuse, but there will be far more who would take a free bag they don't actually need (as they have a backpack or already have something else they can use).

Getting rid of single use bags and charging a small fee for reusuable bags works to change peoples behaviour and cut down on the amount being used. Charging too much for the resuable bag just results in annoyed customers.

Seeing as now reusable bags likely weigh 100 times a throw away one, reuseable bags are absolutely worse for the environment. How many people use a reuseable bag 100 times before it is stained or ripped? Especially since many are like me, and all plastic bags go in a plastic bag, and are used for trash anyway Reuseable bags are like most "green" initiatives, and only make since when using the fake numbers provided by the supporters

Hawg G

I understand that. :)
I think it's hard for them to win in this case. If the reusable bags are free there will be abuse, if they continue with the disposable ones they're not environmentally friendly, and if they charge for reusable ones they're cash grabbers. In my opinion the only middle ground where they looked good from all angles was the one they had implemented, but the price hike proved that finding middle ground was never their intention.

Middle ground would be charging actual cost for them, which is probably like a quarter. The original price was a huge cash grab considering how many bags they sell every day. Enough for most to retire on, I'm sure. I doubt many would through away 25 cent bags, just as they don't throw away 10 cent cans in Michigan.

JayKZ

Middle ground would be charging actual cost for them, which is probably like a quarter. The original price was a huge cash grab considering how many bags they sell every day. Enough for most to retire on, I'm sure. I doubt many would through away 25 cent bags, just as they don't throw away 10 cent cans in Michigan.
However, since this was Disney, they couldn't just produce bags. They created bags with Disney Art. And since it was WDW, they created different bags for each park. And because Disney park visitors are rabid collectors of Anything Disney, obtaining complete collections of reusable shopping bags became a Thing, and reusable shopping bags became yet another line of Disney Collectable Merch. A buck and a half just isn't enough to charge for genuine Disney Collectable Merch, so...

Hawg G

However, since this was Disney, they couldn't just produce bags. They created bags with Disney Art. And since it was WDW, they created different bags for each park. And because Disney park visitors are rabid collectors of Anything Disney, obtaining complete collections of reusable shopping bags became a Thing, and reusable shopping bags became yet another line of Disney Collectable Merch. A buck and a half just isn't enough to charge for genuine Disney Collectable Merch, so...

Which proves it was a money grab from the start. They've been using the same Disney Parks plastic bags at every park in the US for at least 5 years. Truly green recycleable items should be simply designed, and as cheap as possible, while still functional. Which doesn't mean putting different artwork on a lot of them.

tirian

Because they can. It's a one time cost that is $1 more. Or at least it should be a one time cost, if you reuse them as intended. If that price is too much for you (general you), then just bring your own. Sorry, I can't seem to get my knickers in a twist over this one. They are already sufficiently twisted over some of the other increases.
ALL of the increases are connected. When was the last time you were on property? Food and drinks have skyrocketed too. The increases are out of control.

The more I travel around the world, the less I think Disney offers a good value for anything, any more. Broken FX on rides, fewer perks at the resorts, smaller food servings, overcrowded parks, manufactured queue lengths to reduce staff budgets—yet attendance keeps climbing for now.

Keep twisting those knickers. I’m hearing there will be significant increases once everything actually opens; this is just the beginning.

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
Buy a ton of stuff and have it sent to your resort. You don’t have to carry it and it will most likely be in plastic bags- unless they want to throw in the reusable for free. 🙄 Either way, it will be in some sort of bag with slip attached.

We did this our last visit about 6 weeks ago, and yes it was all in plastic bags.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Bring a reusable bag into the park for your end-of-day purchases. Then have to go through the standard security lines instead of the 'no bags' line, unless the CMs are nice and wave you through, folded up or not. And then you get to figure out what you're going to do with the bag all day long.

Maybe I'll probably just skip buying merchandise in the parks altogether and we'll just make one trip to DS for anything anyone "needs" (as long as they can carry it), or else have things shipped back to the room. Less hassle that way. And if I skip buying altogether, my wallet thanks me instead of kicking me every 12 seconds...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom