News Re-Usable Bag Price Increases

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I overheard a couple of CMs in the resort gift shop yesterday talking about the reusable bags and why they still had the plastic ones. From what I was able to make out is that at some time (couple of months) they will make a hard stop to the plastic. There was something mentioned about current supply of plastic running low.

Lensman

Nah, I didn't bring it 26 times. Just wondering if anyone is bringing it the 26 times needed to equalize carbon emissions. Truth is I haven't seen a single person wandering around with their reusable bag.
I suspect that most become "shelf queens", or are taken home to "bring joy" for more mundane uses like storing junk.

I asked earlier whether we were being forced to buy them in WDW park shops or whether we're engaging in amusing what-ifs based on the potentially false premise that people are being forced to buy reusable bags at the WDW park shops?

drizgirl

I overheard a couple of CMs in the resort gift shop yesterday talking about the reusable bags and why they still had the plastic ones. From what I was able to make out is that at some time (couple of months) they will make a hard stop to the plastic. There was something mentioned about current supply of plastic running low.
Whew! Sounds like they got that price increase implemented just in time!
I suspect that most become "shelf queens", or are taken home to "bring joy" for more mundane uses like storing junk.

I asked earlier whether we were being forced to buy them in WDW park shops or whether we're engaging in amusing what-ifs based on the potentially false premise that people are being forced to buy reusable bags at the WDW park shops?
I suspect the calculus on that discussion will change when the free disposable plastic bags are gone.

cosmicgirl

From what I'm reading on this thread, I'm not even sure it's a thing at the theme parks. I'm still seeing reports of people saying they're giving out disposable bags at WDW parks. No disposable bags at the Disney Store. Not sure about DLR.

To my knowledge DLP has phased out the disposable bags. I haven't been since this was announced in April but was recently on a train originating from DLP and only saw reusable bags carried by passengers. WDW and DLR being next isn't too far-fetched.

I have no idea what they're doing with resort deliveries but as nearly everyone on the train had a disposable bag I wouldn't be surprized if they forced you to buy one. Buy one or carry your stuff. Which, come to think of it, is exactly what happened the last time I visited the Disney Store in FL Mall.

donaldtoo

I have no dog in this fight (so to speak), as we haven’t been to WDW since Feb. of 16, and have no current plans to go back in the near future, and our local mall Disney Store closed about a year ago, so I’m just gonna’ throw this out there...
We sold the reusable bags the entire time I was a CM at our local mall Disney Store (1+ year as a Lead Manger) from Aug. of ‘09 - Oct. of ‘13. The price for the bags (which appear to be about the size of the medium bag shown - roughly 14”w x 16” h IIRC) was $2.50. We sometimes had the large bags that were priced at $3.50, but, never had the small reusable bags.
But, we also had plenty of free plastic Disney Store-themed bags (Sm., med., lg., and XL) for those Guests that did not want to purchase a reusable bag.
We also used them as a promo...get a free reusable bag with a $25+ purchase, and such (which is easy enough to do at any Disney Store ;)).
Also, the less popular bags would eventually go on sale for as low as $0.50.
I really would love to see what the cost breakdown is for just a gross of the typical Disney Parks plastic bags v. the reusable bags v. paper themed bags with handles (since they went to paper with the straws).
There’s also the issue of storage. We could store tons of those thin plastic bags in the drawers we had at the Box Office (cash wrap). The reusable bags had their own display fixture out in front of the Box Office, and sometimes we would open some of them up and display them on the back counter of the Box Office as part of a “stage set”.
Again, they were just another merch product, and no Guests were “forced” to buy them to tote their purchases.

aladdin2007

to add to that,,, I had heard that its already been a turn off to guests with many saying "I'll pass"(no surprise), and I think they are going to have a problem once they start saying your required to buy one. What I dont like is they are bungle-some for use in the parks, they dont stay closed, especially when your getting in and out of attractions all day and what you bought shows in the open.... I have found different stories at every location, some cast dont bother to ask at all, they just give the plastic, some do ask, and some say you have to buy one or else, like I experienced at the lodge.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
to add to that,,, I had heard that its already been a turn off to guests with many saying "I'll pass"(no surprise), and I think they are going to have a problem once they start saying your required to buy one. What I dont like is they are bungle-some for use in the parks, they dont stay closed, especially when your getting in and out of attractions all day and what you bought shows in the open.... I have found different stories at every location, some cast dont bother to ask at all, they just give the plastic, some do ask, and some say you have to buy one or else, like I experienced at the lodge.
It will be interesting to see what they do with the the deliver back to your resort option. I think they might see an uptick in that option when the start not providing the plastic.

Obobru

I'm still asking and nobody's answering -- who is carrying reuseable bags back into the theme parks?
This is exactly why the price has gone up. A couple of weeks ago I was chatting to my friend who works in a merch store at MK if they had brought any new designs of the bags out and he mentioned how the bags are too cheap so people never bring one back and a lot of people buy more than just one for their items they buy spares. The bags are so cheap that people think nothing of buying them and not reusing, that's goes against what the purpose of then is, to reduce bags and encourage reuse.

The price increase will be monitored but don't be supprised to see more increases on them or a different type of bag which is more expensive being trialed at some point.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
This is exactly why the price has gone up. A couple of weeks ago I was chatting to my friend who works in a merch store at MK if they had brought any new designs of the bags out and he mentioned how the bags are too cheap so people never bring one back and a lot of people buy more than just one for their items they buy spares. The bags are so cheap that people think nothing of buying them and not reusing, that's goes against what the purpose of then is, to reduce bags and encourage reuse.

The price increase will be monitored but don't be supprised to see more increases on them or a different type of bag which is more expensive being trialed at some point.
What they should do is based on number of guests in your party, you get x number of small, medium, and large bags at check in. Told that there will be no plastic bags in parks and bags for purchase or rent are $10. Or have your purchase delivered to your resort for free.

MissingDisney

So glad I got one of each print at out last trip for $1. each. It was the only item, with exception of a Christmas ornament, I purchased during an 8 day stay. I’ve used them everyday as a lunch bag since we’ve returned. They hold up well l and can be folded and put in my purse when I’m done. It’s really the only consistent reusable purpose I can imagine people using them for.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Just like I said before...

Disney doesn't care about the environment. They simply found a way to make more money off of consumers and spend less money buying plastic straws, plastic lids and plastic bags.

This is also just more posturing to keep the environmentalists off their backs.
Just like installing little patches of solar panels while they drive gas guzzling, pollutant spewing, diesel busses, jet engine powered trams, a continually running monorail with a massive carbon footprint, the massive amounts of electricity used by the parks every day and nightly fireworks spewing pollutants into the air regularly.
Meanwhile, they kill more trees, don't plant replacement trees (2 for every one they cut down) to build more extensions to the parks.

Like a member said above, just virtue signaling.
Absolutely. Even in the Spaceship Earth attraction on the decent they ask if you prefer wind or solar energy, giving no option for fossil fuels yet your little animated vehicle is jet propelled. Total hypocrisy.

Yellow elise

To my knowledge DLP has phased out the disposable bags. I haven't been since this was announced in April but was recently on a train originating from DLP and only saw reusable bags carried by passengers. WDW and DLR being next isn't too far-fetched.

I have no idea what they're doing with resort deliveries but as nearly everyone on the train had a disposable bag I wouldn't be surprized if they forced you to buy one. Buy one or carry your stuff. Which, come to think of it, is exactly what happened the last time I visited the Disney Store in FL Mall.
I was in DLP 2 weeks ago and you were forced to buy a reusable bag for purchases, no other option. I do not carry a backpack in parks so forced to buy a bag each day if purchasing anything. When in WDW I will have things sent to resort but I imagine they will soon be in reusable bags too!

tl77

One more thing that used to be free, that now you have to pay for, so they can constantly raise the price on... who remembers when all you needed to "park hop" was a hand stamp?

raymusiccity

For the record, I don't approve of the price increase, but giving them away for free wouldn't help the environment at all because people would not reuse them just to get as many freebies as they could.
Giving them away would completely wipe out the supply of bags. Ziploc, for example, will soon be gone as a 'sponsor' over at Splash Mountain'. They provide free bags to keep your belongings dry. They should set up a time lapse camera to show the riders stuffing their pockets with them like free candy! 😔

BoarderPhreak

Solution... Make bags out of toilet paper. In the FL humidity, they might last long enough for you to get your stuff back to the resort. 🤷‍♂️ 😝

ninjaprincesst

In the bag we bring into the parks each day, we'll just be packing our own plastic lids for drinks, our own straws and now our own shopping bags if need be.
It just sucks because we have to, it is twice as tiring to have to lug around a bag like a pack mule. I usually just take a small purse just big enough for cell phone, and autograph book and a credit card and some cash, now I have to bring straws, lids , shopping bags and who knows what else.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
It just sucks because we have to, it is twice as tiring to have to lug around a bag like a pack mule. I usually just take a small purse just big enough for cell phone, and autograph book and a credit card and some cash, now I have to bring straws, lids , shopping bags and who knows what else.
Hopefully we won't get to the point of having to carry our own toilet paper and handsoap!
What really annoys me is the lids, trying to walk with a beverage without one in a park full of people is not that easy!
I'm now considering collecting plastic regular lids, and see if they would fit Disney cups!

Maybe that's the next thing, Disney selling "themed" reusable lids! :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom