News Re-Usable Bag Price Increases

castlecake2.0

Sure it is. That is exactly why Disney is doing it. It is not about making them more profitable at all. Just like eliminating the plastic bags was all about environmental responsibility and not an easy and PR-friendly way for Disney to cut a big expense. Right.

Make no mistake. The introduction of these bags, the elimination of the plastic bags, and the price increase all are motivated by one thing only: making more money.
I didn’t disagree with any of that, was just saying why they aren’t free

aladdin2007

Have plastic bags been fully removed? Or are these optional?

Im not sure cause at the wilderness lodge the lady in the store told us they are no longer allowed to give a bag, we are required to buy one otherwise no bag allowed, carry it out with you, which really irked me! But seems to be a different story depending where you go or is this now property wide "no bag or else"?

Tom P.

Original Poster
Im not sure cause at the wilderness lodge the lady in the store told us they are no longer allowed to give a bag, we are required to buy one otherwise no bag allowed, carry it out with you, which really irked me! But seems to be a different story depending where you go or is this now property wide "no bag or else"?
That has been my experience over the past few months at the Disney Store as well. Either buy a bag, bring a bag, or just carry the merchandise out in your hands. They won't give out plastic bags anymore.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Really - plastic WalMart bag from your home town is FREE, and really small. Just carry it in your pocket :).

When done with it, for that trip? Throw it out in a WDW Trash can :).

Don't just detest the latest game :). BREAK it :).

Tom P.

Original Poster
Really - plastic WalMart bag from your home town is FREE, and really small. Just carry it in your pocket :).

I can't waste Walmart bags that way. I collect them, pack them in Styrofoam, douse them in Freon, hit them with a good burst of aerosol hair spray, and then light them on fire using wood from endangered redwood trees as kindling. Makes for a great Friday night!

beertiki

We were there about 2 weeks ago, my medium size bag was $1.50. I thought that was really cheap. Now its $2.50, a fair price. The bag is sturdy, and should last me several trips.

ToTBellHop

Be green and just put the merchandise in your backpack and forget to pay for it. By avoiding the check out counter, you allow a CM to be laid off. Less people driving to work = lower carbon footprint. Plus you can cut back to only working 4 days/week to pay for your Disney habit.

Everyone wins and you’ll watch the polar ice caps grow while the seals go “Eek! Eek! Eek!” for joy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What Disney should do is offer a discount on merchandise purchases equal to about half or 1/3 the price of the reusable bag. Spend $25 get the discount based on a small bag and spend $50+ and get the discount on a large bag. This way on day 1 or your first purchase the bag costs you something, but when you bring it back for your 2nd and future purchases you actually save money. Make 2 to 3 larger purchases and you break even on the bag. The point is to get people to reuse the bags so giving them out for free won’t work plus people will want them for souvenirs. They should also reward you for reusing the bag instead...carrot instead of stick

sndral

Not in California, WalMart bags are a dime apiece. It really didn’t take people very long to change their behavior after throwaway bags were ‘banned,’ everyone takes reusable bags w/ them when they shop here.

Jon81uk

If Disney really cares about the environment they would give them out, not sell them. This is virtue signaling just like with the plastic straws.
I'm not disagreeing with that. We've bought re-usable bags at The Disney Store and like them. But the only reason to raise prices, up to double, within months of their introduction is a cash grab. If they are really interested in being good corporate citizens and helping protect the environment, they would either keep prices low or, as @EricsBiscuit says, give them away for free.

Giving them away for free would be worse for the environment than the old plastic bags. Everyone would take a free bag even if they don't need it and there would be even more plastic being used (as the reusable bags use more plastic than the disposable ones). Yes some people will reuse, but there will be far more who would take a free bag they don't actually need (as they have a backpack or already have something else they can use).

Getting rid of single use bags and charging a small fee for reusuable bags works to change peoples behaviour and cut down on the amount being used. Charging too much for the resuable bag just results in annoyed customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom