Ratatouille in Epcot

Bocabear

hey, they wrapped up Norway's whole culture with an oil rig and cruise ship. wait, what?? you mean they have more history than that?! oh yeah, they have three headed trolls with stereotypical accents worthy of a bad cartoon.

the united states equivalent would be something like a boat running into a rock, an angry mob of puritans burning/hanging/drowning teenage witches, followed by a final scene of Cinderella's castle and the mcdonald's arches. then the after movie would be an infomercial for a smoothie machine and a wind farm showing how far we've come as a nation, then dumping us out into an over-scented yankee candle shop filled with pumpkin pie spice and warm apple pie aromas to capture the 'spirit of america' and to give us an instant headache. gag.

I, for one, HATED maelstrom. it was a value engineered joke of a ride, shoehorned into a building that it shouldn't have been in, given a storyline that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and, oh, just plain sucked. there was nothing enjoyable about that ride, other than laughing at the audacity of it actually being built by Disney in the first place.
that's hysterical...
And yeah, while I will never agree that Frozen was the right choice, Maelstrom was not a great ride... it had the beginnings of a good ride that somehow ends mid-stream. It really did need to be replaced, just wish it had been replaced with smethig more appropriate.
The Frozen ride is beautiful...but wrong location...

Bocabear

Yes. I understand where you're coming from, especially in today's atmosphere.

I do feel in the right hands it could be done, though. I know The American Adventure is 30 minutes long and I know it's a "home grown product," but that thing has been so sanitized. It dances around the ugliness in our past--Manifest Destiny, Trail of Tears, Slavery and Slave labor. Yet, it is a feel-good attraction. I am guessing someone talented could create a "highlight reel," or maybe introduce us to a myth. I am not sure, I will leave it to someone more creative than I am. LOL

Holistically, what I loved about Epcot Center was that everything presented was introductory. At worst, someone was merely entertained. At best, a kernel was planted in a kid's head that made her or her want to learn more about what they'd seen on vacation. I wish it could continue in that vein. :)
Actually one section of The American Adventure does talk about Slavery...

Nickels5

Assumptions of what? you quoted me talking about Epcot when you were talking about Radiator Springs and comparing it to rides that shouldn't have to be in worldshowcase.

Was not talking about "culture" or edutaiment. Was talking how Donald had little to do with Mexico, regardless of a movie itself.
Also the ride was part of a pavilion. A small part of a group of things that did show the most classic or steretyped and well known parts of a country.

I dont remember asking, insulting or somehow mentioning your wife or children in the equation, nor your descent or ethnicity.
For someone who complain about blind assumptions, you sure did an Olympic jump into that. Not only that, but skew what I wrote to fullfill whatever agenda you want to portray.

Exactly!
I think you are very confused there buddy. I haven't mentioned radiator springs once so maybe realize who you are addressing and you did assume by ethnicity by saying " I guess your not of Mexican descent" so again figure out who you are talking too.

AEfx

hey, they wrapped up Norway's whole culture with an oil rig and cruise ship. wait, what?? you mean they have more history than that?! oh yeah, they have three headed trolls with stereotypical accents worthy of a bad cartoon.

the united states equivalent would be something like a boat running into a rock, an angry mob of puritans burning/hanging/drowning teenage witches, followed by a final scene of Cinderella's castle and the mcdonald's arches. then the after movie would be an infomercial for a smoothie machine and a wind farm showing how far we've come as a nation, then dumping us out into an over-scented yankee candle shop filled with pumpkin pie spice and warm apple pie aromas to capture the 'spirit of america' and to give us an instant headache. gag.

I, for one, HATED maelstrom. it was a value engineered joke of a ride, shoehorned into a building that it shouldn't have been in, given a storyline that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and, oh, just plain sucked. there was nothing enjoyable about that ride, other than laughing at the audacity of it actually being built by Disney in the first place.

While I actually quite liked Maelstrom - as I love creepy little dark rides - the rest of your assessment is pretty much spot on.

rle4lunch

I actually laughed very loudly at that description.. but then... if the Parks weren't as patriotic as they were...Id imagine they would be doing exactly that (if the Park was in Russia or other country not tied directly with the USA I mean..)
agAvbDf.gif

I still love the American's pavilion show. A marvel of engineering.

Id imagine that would have been built on Dismaland if they were serious about a real theme park themed to doom and gloom and the worst of the world.

The American Adventure is great. Probably the best thing in WS.

Sir_Cliff

The American Adventure is great. Probably the best thing in WS.
The show itself is great but, while I admittedly haven't been in a few years, it really needs some sprucing up. On my last trip (where I did DL and WDW) it was one of those attractions where I left thinking that this attraction would not be in that condition were it at the DLR.

MrHappy

What did I miss in the last 11 pages since my post (sure brilliance BTW). Seems like we got to the insults and off topic banter early. I guess a topic about a ride about a rat that someone heard something about somewhere can only go so far. Welp...off to the Guardians at Epcot thread. I'm sure that'll be different :facepalm:

Tavernacle12

Almost everything proposed as a new build is IP. For better or for worse. Some is very substantial. I've said it elsewhere EPCOT Center is dead. Let's just hope Epcot v3 is better than v2 ended up.

Are the IPs at least ones that mostly fit? Stuff like Inside Out (Imagination/WOL), Big Hero Six (Innovations), Ratatouille (France), Mary Poppins (U.K.), and Mulan (China) could actually fit at least as well as Three Cabelleros and Nemo do (not that those rides are great, but their IPs fit).

And that's what the problem is, on the cultural sensitivity front. No matter what they pick as a "basic introduction" would be controversial at this point. As respectful as it may be done, no country/nationality wants to be boiled down to pretty much anything. Just imagine it from an American perspective - how would we feel if Japan had an "American Ride" - do you think we could really come to a satisfying list of show scenes that would "represent" us?

I'd say America is a bad example. Both Hall of Presidents and American Adventure do a decent enough job of it. Far older countries would be much harder, obviously, but it could still be done. Maelstrom attempted to do it for Norway. Impressions de France, O Canada, and Reflections of China don't seem to have brought tons of controversy. Obviously movies are different, but the same principles could be brought to a ride. The trick is to focus on an aspect of a culture instead of the entire culture. Most represented countries could have a ride about their folklore and fairy tales instead of their culture in general.

Cesar R M

I think you are very confused there buddy. I haven't mentioned radiator springs once so maybe realize who you are addressing and you did assume by ethnicity by saying " I guess your not of Mexican descent" so again figure out who you are talking too.
I dare you to follow the quote lines.. because you quoted the WRONG MESSAGE.
I was answering to IDInstitute. Not you, you shoved your quote to me there.
POST ID: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/ratatouille-in-epcot.884005/page-49#post-7455586 that you incorrectly quoted and thus misaligned the conversation.

As for where you should have answered..
Is this post: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/ratatouille-in-epcot.884005/page-49#post-7455585

you said "If you saw the movie that's not it at all. Donald actually gets taught Hispanic culture tough to do in a 5 minute ride. I think it's a great fit for that pavilion".
Yes I did I seen the movie. Hence why I issued my opinion. The movie itself wasn't about Mexico alone anyway. Its about 3 countries and adventures of these 3 guys. Hardly much to do with the ride itself other than "Donald gets lost in Mexico" portions with some Mexican stuff in the background.(I guess they do not have much new original content exclusive to Mexico). Only good thing I see is.. everything is complemented by the size and variety inside the pavilion. Just wish they could have kept the original recipes of the dishes in the inside restaurant( Noone in Mexico puts yellow corn to chiles rellenos..NOONE). o_O

Also I said "I GUESS" for your assumptions that somehow the ride fits 100% thematically.. Funny that you even later confirmed that you were not Mexican and had to shove information about your family. :rolleyes:
I'm still baffled that you somehow want to belittle my opinion AS A MEXICAN about a ride ABOUT MEXICO. :facepalm:

I know my culture. as I live and grew with it. THANK YOU.

*edit*
Just wanted to add also, that the M&G in Mexico's pavilion is not Panchito. Its DONALD with a Sarape and stereotyped oversized Sombrero. See what it means?
Thats like using Ken Watanabe (famous actor from japan) to portrait Lincoln in the American Pavilion to show American culture.

Last edited:

tl77

Again... leave the Fairy Tales in the Magic Kingdom... Hopefully FEA will just be an anomaly...
While I don't disagree with you, I doubt it will be that case... Magic Kingdom is simply running out of room for Fairy Tales, but they are one of the bigest draws. I think the real anomaly about Frozen is how well it was executed... if they do more timeless storybook stuff hopefully they do it that well

Sir_Cliff

While I don't disagree with you, I doubt it will be that case... Magic Kingdom is simply running out of room for Fairy Tales, but they are one of the bigest draws.
I don't know, I think there is room. Somehow Disneyland seems to squeeze in a lot more into their Fantasyland.
I think the real anomaly about Frozen is how well it was executed... if they do more timeless storybook stuff hopefully they do it that well
That I do agree with. Whatever the appropriateness of its location, I think almost everyone has been surprised at how good the execution was. That, of course, is a double edged sword as once upon a time we would have expected new Disney rides to be top quality, but c'est la vie!

tl77

I don't know, I think there is room. Somehow Disneyland seems to squeeze in a lot more into their Fantasyland.

That I do agree with. Whatever the appropriateness of its location, I think almost everyone has been surprised at how good the execution was. That, of course, is a double edged sword as once upon a time we would have expected new Disney rides to be top quality, but c'est la vie!
Well the Disneyland Park isn't as land locked as Magic Kingdom, which surrounded by swamps and canals, and has the utliador and it's elevation changes to deal with. At MK you only get something new if it replaces something else, were as at Epcot there are huge lots of land that were set aside for "future development" on day one but most of it never was

Nickels5

Well the Disneyland Park isn't as land locked as Magic Kingdom, which surrounded by swamps and canals, and has the utliador and it's elevation changes to deal with. At MK you only get something new if it replaces something else, were as at Epcot there are huge lots of land that were set aside for "future development" on day one but most of it never was
Princess fairytale hall can go very easily and a great new dark ride could go there.

Tavernacle12

I really wish I had paid the "back stage" tour. The videos of the machinery are amazing.

Unfortunately the current backstage tour for WS doesn't go under it (I'm not sure if another one does?). The tour guide I had said they were working with Operations to try and get it onto the tour but weren't sure if it was doable. Tour DOES go behind the France, Mexico, and Norway buildings as well as to the Illuminations set up area.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
MK has tonnes of expansion room if done correctly. If anything DL is more land locked.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom