Ratatouille in Epcot

tl77

Since the original "cultural" rides at Mexico and Norway have been replaced with famous animated characters, I'm not surprised that more are on the way. Ratatouille wouldn't be my first choice, and I'm not terribly impress by what's at DL Paris... A Sleeping Beauty ride with it's medieval art work and classical music seems like a better fit at Epcot to me, especially paired with current film at the Paris Pavilion, plus Maleficent and the dragon seem pretty popular in their own right, that seems like it could be a fairly exciting and popular ride to me

Bocabear

Since the original "cultural" rides at Mexico and Norway have been replaced with famous animated characters, I'm not surprised that more are on the way. Ratatouille wouldn't be my first choice, and I'm not terribly impress by what's at DL Paris... A Sleeping Beauty ride with it's medieval art work and classical music seems like a better fit at Epcot to me, especially paired with current film at the Paris Pavilion, plus Maleficent and the dragon seem pretty popular in their own right, that seems like it could be a fairly exciting and popular ride to me
Again... leave the Fairy Tales in the Magic Kingdom... Hopefully FEA will just be an anomaly...

Castle Cake Apologist

Neither of them fit. Go with the one that's a better ride.

And Ratatouille is more Pixar Place.

I have to disagree here. The beauty, culture, and cuisine of France play a very large role in the film. I would say Ratatouille would be a much better thematic fit, and with any luck they could improve the ride. It could be a fantastic attraction with just a few tweaks. It's not at all difficult to look at the Paris addition at WDSP and picture a little side alley off the pavilion that leads you to this charming courtyard.

Beauty and the Beast screams Fantastyland to me, and is a much better thematic fit in the Magic Kingdom than in the France pavilion at Epcot. There isn't really anything in the movie that makes it explicitly French. I'm having trouble picturing Belle's village as a good mesh with the existing pavilion.

Mike S

I have to disagree here. The beauty, culture, and cuisine of France play a very large role in the film. I would say Ratatouille would be a much better thematic fit, and with any luck they could improve the ride. It could be a fantastic attraction with just a few tweaks. It's not at all difficult to look at the Paris addition at Disney Studios and picture a little side alley off the pavilion that leads you to this charming courtyard.

Beauty and the Beast screams Fantastyland to me, and is a much better thematic fit in the Magic Kingdom than in the France pavilion at Epcot. There isn't really anything in the movie that makes it explicitly French. I'm having trouble picturing Belle's village as a good mesh with the existing France pavilion.
My point was that while B&tB works better in Fantasyland so does Ratatouille in Pixar Place. Neither of them should be in Epcot but if they must my vote goes to what looks to be a much better ride. That's it.

Cesar R M

I wonder if the plans might change depending on the popularity of Beauty and the beast (the live one). I mean look at Jungle Book.

AEfx

Again... leave the Fairy Tales in the Magic Kingdom... Hopefully FEA will just be an anomaly...

They either add more Disney properties, or it is going to stay and rot as is - the big outdoor bar, as WDW1974 accurately terms it.

Personally, I'm for more rides than rot.

There are a lot of factors for this - heavily increased culturally sensitivity preventing a lot of idea that would have been "cute" 20 or 30 years ago, for one, and another the sheer investment to add any new ride. If they are going to spend a couple hundred million dollars to build something, it has to be promotable.

The reality is, WS would not even be built today. It's going to have to start adding IPs or it's going to stay a stagnant glorified outdoor shopping mall.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They either add more Disney properties, or it is going to stay and rot as is - the big outdoor bar, as WDW1974 accurately terms it.

Personally, I'm for more rides than rot.

There are a lot of factors for this - heavily increased culturally sensitivity preventing a lot of idea that would have been "cute" 20 or 30 years ago, for one, and another the sheer investment to add any new ride. If they are going to spend a couple hundred million dollars to build something, it has to be promotable.

The reality is, WS would not even be built today. It's going to have to start adding IPs or it's going to stay a stagnant glorified outdoor shopping mall.

Almost everything proposed as a new build is IP. For better or for worse. Some is very substantial. I've said it elsewhere EPCOT Center is dead. Let's just hope Epcot v3 is better than v2 ended up.

Last edited:

Nickels5

how so? they are not going nor are being build in EPCOT. They have their respective areas that fit in their respective lands.
AHHH gotta love blind assumptions, you have no idea of my ethnicity, no I am not of Hispanic descent but my wife and children will be. I really don't feel any ride that would last 5 mins can truly show the culture of any country. Just like Maelstrom failed to do even though it was a fun ride. If you are going on these rides to be educated on the culture and history of the countries then jokes on you.

Sans Souci

AHHH gotta love blind assumptions, you have no idea of my ethnicity, no I am not of Hispanic descent but my wife and children will be. I really don't feel any ride that would last 5 mins can truly show the culture of any country. Just like Maelstrom failed to do even though it was a fun ride. If you are going on these rides to be educated on the culture and history of the countries then jokes on you.

I don't think a single ride can truly encapsulate a given country's culture. I do think it can be used as a basic introduction that culture; sort of like a stepping stone to inspire and encourage further exploration of that culture. I think that was what the original Epcot was all about. :)

Bocabear

I don't think a single ride can truly encapsulate a given country's culture. I do think it can be used as a basic introduction that culture; sort of like a stepping stone to inspire and encourage further exploration of that culture. I think that was what the original Epcot was all about. :)
YES!!!!! This!

AEfx

And that's what the problem is, on the cultural sensitivity front. No matter what they pick as a "basic introduction" would be controversial at this point. As respectful as it may be done, no country/nationality wants to be boiled down to pretty much anything. Just imagine it from an American perspective - how would we feel if Japan had an "American Ride" - do you think we could really come to a satisfying list of show scenes that would "represent" us?

AEfx

I really don't feel any ride that would last 5 mins can truly show the culture of any country. Just like Maelstrom failed to do even though it was a fun ride. If you are going on these rides to be educated on the culture and history of the countries then jokes on you.

And beyond that, the other issue is - "new Germany boat ride" isn't something that will generate media interest or be much use in a 30 second TV spot. Sad but true, as much as I love slow dark rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom