"Rapid Fill" Mugs Coming to Walt Disney World Hotels

jaklgreen

One of the reasons soda prices are so high is to off set the amount of theft from the self serve machines. At my job we have the self serve soda/tea/coffee. We sell 2 sizes and it is free refills when you are eating. I see on a daily basis several types of theft. 1) The whole family buys 1 cup of soda to share 2) I just want a free glass for water, and they fill it with soda 3) bringing in their own cups and filling them(yep that is not just a Disney problem). 4) just 2 weeks ago we stopped a lady (after seeing her do this several times) from walking in and just grabbing a cup herself off of the counter and filling up and walking out(that is pretty damn bold) but they know you are not going to do anything about other then tell them they are not welcome and they are on to the next place. Americans have become very spoiled with customer service that we are to the point where most expect something for free be it refills or samples. At one point in time we had been putting out small cookie samples for people(again rampant stealing in the form of taking the whole bowl and pouring it into their bags), when we stopped putting out the samples you would not believe how angry people got. There were several people writing email to corporate saying how they will never eat there again because without the free samples it ruined their dining experience WHAT????!!!! Theft in food service is crazy. We have even had some of our supply delivery drivers steal from us when they were dropping off stuff.

Disvillain63

One of the reasons soda prices are so high is to off set the amount of theft from the self serve machines. At my job we have the self serve soda/tea/coffee. We sell 2 sizes and it is free refills when you are eating. I see on a daily basis several types of theft. 1) The whole family buys 1 cup of soda to share 2) I just want a free glass for water, and they fill it with soda 3) bringing in their own cups and filling them(yep that is not just a Disney problem). 4) just 2 weeks ago we stopped a lady (after seeing her do this several times) from walking in and just grabbing a cup herself off of the counter and filling up and walking out(that is pretty damn bold) but they know you are not going to do anything about other then tell them they are not welcome and they are on to the next place. Americans have become very spoiled with customer service that we are to the point where most expect something for free be it refills or samples. At one point in time we had been putting out small cookie samples for people(again rampant stealing in the form of taking the whole bowl and pouring it into their bags), when we stopped putting out the samples you would not believe how angry people got. There were several people writing email to corporate saying how they will never eat there again because without the free samples it ruined their dining experience WHAT????!!!! Theft in food service is crazy. We have even had some of our supply delivery drivers steal from us when they were dropping off stuff.
5. A woman came into a local fast food restaurant with a cup from a previous visit. She walked over to the machine and refilled it, then she left.

CDavid

This seems like a lot of technology for a drink. Wondering if the economics of this works out?? Is Disney really losing that much money on drinks??

That, actually, is a pretty good question. How much do these RFID chips cost anyway? Yes, I know there are ethical issues here (and a hot button topic), but just how much soda do you have give away before it becomes more expensive than the cost of RFID cups & mugs? Disney is notoriously only concerned with the bottom line, and for years posters on Disney message boards appear to have been far more concerned about this issue than Disney itself, so I'm surprised they would now make the effort unless there is a financial payoff.

PirateFrank

Can anyone tell me if these rapid-fill machines have been filled yet? I know they had them down at ASM and , right? But have the rest of the resorts converted over yet?

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
That, actually, is a pretty good question. How much do these RFID chips cost anyway? Yes, I know there are ethical issues here (and a hot button topic), but just how much soda do you have give away before it becomes more expensive than the cost of RFID cups & mugs? Disney is notoriously only concerned with the bottom line, and for years posters on Disney message boards appear to have been far more concerned about this issue than Disney itself, so I'm surprised they would now make the effort unless there is a financial payoff.

Depending on supplier, I have seen them as cheap as ten cents so it would not take much soda theft. If one family of four purchases four refill cups instead of reusing their old cups, they pay for almost 720 cups worth of RFID tags alone.

arko

passive RFID tags can be as low as 5 cents when you buy in volume, which I bet Disney is. Passive tags are meant to be disposal and read only using the reader as a power source.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Can anyone tell me if these rapid-fill machines have been filled yet? I know they had them down at ASM and , right? But have the rest of the resorts converted over yet?
Most of them have been installed now, and are pending cast member training before being activated.

PirateFrank

Most of them have been installed now, and are pending cast member training before being activated.

Thank you Steve! Do you have a guess when that's going to happen? I'll be there between the 18th and the 22nd. Curious to know if I'm going to have to contend with this rapidfill business or will I avoid exposure...

Scottmck66

Thank you Steve! Do you have a guess when that's going to happen? I'll be there between the 18th and the 22nd. Curious to know if I'm going to have to contend with this rapidfill business or will I avoid exposure...
FYI, I'm at Pop today and the old mugs are still in use and for sale. Just curious does anyone know if there will be any grace period or exchange program for the old mugs? If a guest staying for a week buys an old version on day one and they change to RFID on day 2 you'll have a pretty unhappy guest.

dreamfinder

FYI, I'm at Pop today and the old mugs are still in use and for sale. Just curious does anyone know if there will be any grace period or exchange program for the old mugs? If a guest staying for a week buys an old version on day one and they change to RFID on day 2 you'll have a pretty unhappy guest.

Simple solution is if the mugs get changed out first. Start activating mugs with 4 weeks worth of soda, then 2 weeks in, switch over to verifying the RFIDs. That should cover anyone who has purchased a mug this trip (UKers with 3 week vacations I'm looking at you) and still let them get through their trip without running into issues.

dadddio

Simple solution is if the mugs get changed out first. Start activating mugs with 4 weeks worth of soda, then 2 weeks in, switch over to verifying the RFIDs. That should cover anyone who has purchased a mug this trip (UKers with 3 week vacations I'm looking at you) and still let them get through their trip without running into issues.
It doesn't even have to be that complicated.

1) Start selling the RFID mugs today.
2) One month from today, turn on the RFID readers.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
They were aiming for this month, so I think really you could be looking at any day now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom