Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

asianway

They should get rid of the self serve fountains altogether.
Do like they used order food and a drink no refills either.

I am so sick of cheap people ripping off the system.
Also self serve areas are always disgusting because of people spilling and not caring less.

I know I spend $6000 for my vacation !!! I PAID FOR IT !!!!

Do not bother quoting me I know most people do not think like me and that is good.
Quoting me will not change my mind.
Paying 6 grand for a WDW vacation is insane. You can have one helluva Tokyo trip with that money.

jlsHouston

Just to clarify... it's not an issue that the mugs can't be used outside of that one resort. The issue (as I understand it) is that the mugs get linked to your reservation. We had two separate reservations at two Disney hotels (actually one was cash and the other was DVC points, not sure if that makes a difference). So the mugs were linked to our first reservation, and so they would only be good for the "length of stay" of the first reservation.

I would think Disney could link the two reservations to solve this problem, but there was some doubt from the cast member we spoke to... so we didn't want to chance it since the first reservation was much shorter than the second. We planned to buy the mugs at the start of our second resort stay but by then we were learning to live without them so we just kept going that route.

I hear what you are saying. I checked in Wednesday night at WL and saw the new mugs and colors. When I went into Roaring Forks the next morning they only had the green. Well we were headed to Ohana for character dining so I went into Captain Cooks and bought them (they had all the colors) and had them set up for the length of stay which I just assumed since the MM+ thing can take multiple reservations on the website the rfid thing must have some way to activate it for up to say 10 days...I mean the mugs work at any QS location on property. Anyways we used them for the remainder of our days between WL and then on to BWV and when we went for QS meals to other resorts, we used them there too.

I was actually really happy to finally get new colors and designs. Now I am not sure but I think when we first visited WDW in 2011 even on the DP you did not get the mugs as part of the package because we had the DP that year at both our stay at POP and then in October at CBR. It was the following year in 2012 when we bought our package for Easter visit that we were first given mugs as part of the package and I really like them for my walking around tea, or coffee and I really like them for souvenirs to take home and I have given them to family members who love them too. So...I dunno I know 15 bucks or 20 bucks multiplied out by number of guests is a chunk of money but for me the usefulness of the mugs while on property tied into the fact I get a cute functional disney souvenir to take home gets that money right out of my pocket. And so my dismay at the RFID thing at the fountains was more because of the functionality and mess it created.

jlsHouston

You and @unkadug are off your rockers! Coke is a brand name. Diet Pepsi isn't Coke (or coke.) Soda is that fizzy stuff you mix with other things to make drinks (e.g. Scotch and Soda). I know there are a variety of other things (I won't even get into how ridiculous "cold drink" is), but that covers the big two.

MUCH of the country calls it "pop." Google "pop soda" and look at the map. (I'd have cut and pasted but can't figure out how.)

But Yes, I'm a transplant. I did not grow up in Orlando. Occasionally, some smarty-pants who knows exactly what I mean will ask, "Do you mean soda?" as if they never heard it called "pop" before, but since there are many transplants here (nearly everyone my age or older relocated to Orlando), I'm not the only one around saying "pop."

OMG. I can't believe the amount of likes and quotes I got alerts on for on that one little post!

Now I have to go back and read the thread. :)

Hahaha it was the add 5 bucks to the room and give the Pop away....it was classic enough to become the logo for all of us who want the mugs back without the rfid.

jlsHouston

That's low. My friend paid around $10,000 for a family of 5 to fly down to WDW from up state NY and stay for 7 days at WDW. I don't think some of the people on these boards don't understand how much people spend to go to WDW.

Yah no kidding..I think less than a week with 4 or five of us at a moderate I might have spent about 6...the minute I went to deluxe it jumped alot. Maybe the poster wasn't including travel costs but I live 1000 miles from Orlando and travel costs are a big chunk of my vacation costs.

lobelia

I was going to mention that. I had to review that film at work once, which was odd for me since I worked at a corporate law firm and was not in customer service. But everything in it is true.

Customer Service training should be included in any field. We all serve others; whether it is our customers, clients, fellow teammates, or employees.

Figaro928

Yah no kidding..I think less than a week with 4 or five of us at a moderate I might have spent about 6...the minute I went to deluxe it jumped alot. Maybe the poster wasn't including travel costs but I live 1000 miles from Orlando and travel costs are a big chunk of my vacation costs.
With the cost of travel, we stayed at a AOA with the free dining and still topped out about 5k.
It's expensive & for that price I would expect at least a little cleanliness and order at a drink station!

Goofyernmost

I was going to mention that. I had to review that film at work once, which was odd for me since I worked at a corporate law firm and was not in customer service. But everything in it is true.
As far as he took it, yes, it was true. But we aren't talking about the same thing here. They did, indeed, offer an extra "pickle" when they instituted the mug program. They were trying to take customer service one step higher and they did. THEN along came human kind and they decided that they didn't want an extra "pickle" they wanted the whole damn jar and they, by gosh, better give it to them or they will whine and complain until management cannot stand it anymore and gives in.

Customer service does not include allowing people to take whatever they want. It is giving them something extra for what they paid. The hotel rooms, no matter how expensive, are not included in the cost of everything. Pilferage and shrinkage may cut into Disney's profits but it is food service that pays that bill, not the hotels, or the ticket sales or anything other then that. When people start stealing more then they pay for, then any business, that is run efficiently, cannot allow their products to be continuously stolen and call it customer service. What that is actually is catering to the thief. Then guess who pays for that. The people that are being honest and paying for the product and services that they use.

lobelia

I agree with the spirit of your post Goofyernmost for the most part. I just brought it up as I believe in the mindset of his approach. He believes that the customer is paying for the experience of acquiring a product and the product and not just the product.

Goofyernmost

I agree with the spirit of your post Goofyernmost for the most part. I just brought it up as I believe in the mindset of his approach. He believes that the customer is paying for the experience of acquiring a product and the product and not just the product.
The key word that you used is "paying"! If they buy a mug then the extra they are getting is the ability to fill it up as often as they like during the duration of their stay. If they come back 6 months from now and stroll on up to the fountain and fill up that same mug, then they are stealing the product that they didn't pay for. Not much different really then walking up and taking things off the shelf at a department store and just walking out because you once bought something there, so they owe you.

The goods and service that they paid for at Disney are highly categorized. If you have paid money for a hotel room, the "pickle" as it were, would be maybe towel animals or and upgrade or something that is directly related to the resort itself. You pay a lot of money to get into the parks, that doesn't mean that you can go up to a cart and get a Mickey Bar for free. That wouldn't be a "pickle" that would be a cadillac. The "pickle" would be maybe a free Fastpass, or extra time with a Character or a favor done by a CM to make you time more fun. If you purchased a mug for the duration of your stay the "pickle" would be the free unlimited (other then a few minutes between fills) sodas for the trip. That "pickle" turns mighty sour when someone tries to carry it over to the next unrelated trip. And that is the reason why the system was instituted. Not to prevent current PAYING guest from having all they want, but to prevent the leaches of the world from thinking that somehow their money was far more valuable then anyone elses.

tissandtully

The key word that you used is "paying"! If they buy a mug then the extra they are getting is the ability to fill it up as often as they like during the duration of their stay. If they come back 6 months from now and stroll on up to the fountain and fill up that same mug, then they are stealing the product that they didn't pay for. Not much different really then walking up and taking things off the shelf at a department store and just walking out because you once bought something there, so they owe you.

The goods and service that they paid for at Disney are highly categorized. If you have paid money for a hotel room, the "pickle" as it were, would be maybe towel animals or and upgrade or something that is directly related to the resort itself. You pay a lot of money to get into the parks, that doesn't mean that you can go up to a cart and get a Mickey Bar for free. That wouldn't be a "pickle" that would be a cadillac. The "pickle" would be maybe a free Fastpass, or extra time with a Character or a favor done by a CM to make you time more fun. If you purchased a mug for the duration of your stay the "pickle" would be the free unlimited (other then a few minutes between fills) sodas for the trip. That "pickle" turns mighty sour when someone tries to carry it over to the next unrelated trip. And that is the reason why the system was instituted. Not to prevent current PAYING guest from having all they want, but to prevent the leaches of the world from thinking that somehow their money was far more valuable then anyone elses.

I think most people here don't think it's not actually "stealing", just that maybe Disney should pick its battles on what it spends money on enforcing?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not just the Midwest. People further out west also call it pop, as do people in Pittsburgh. It use to annoy me to no end when in DC someone would get a smug look, turn up their nose, and state, "Pop?! What is pop?!?! Do you mean soda (or whatever they called it - soda dominates in DC)?
Pittsburgh is the Midwest;). Seriously, people there are generally very nice and the pace of life is less hectic. I consider Pittsburgh one of the best Midwestern cities even if it doesn't fit geographically.

lobelia

Your point about where does it all end is valid. I guess I kind of think that if a family is willing to pack their old mugs and walk down to the food service area just to get some pop. WDW should have a policy to let them. I think it's a pain in the butt to pack mugs and then try to plan my trips around the resort so that I can keep filling it up. I just buy pop and water and put it in our fridge for when we return. I don't carry around our mugs in the parks. We do the parks ninja style. Light and fast. Kudos to them for having the wherewithal to do so.

jlsHouston

I think most people here don't think it's not actually "stealing", just that maybe Disney should pick its battles on what it spends money on enforcing?

Yah pretty much this is how I think. I don't want to fuss with those that think free drinks once they have a mug from whatever visit is not their due, nor do I want to side up with the other group that wants to call a thief a thief...
In general I think that the spirit or magic of a Disney vacation is also about doing the right thing in the most magical place on earth and that goes for those of us who are vacationing and the CM's and leaders of WDW...I guess that is my brand of pixie dust I snort. So I look at the new rapid refill program as a slam on me and a messy (literally it's sloppy and messy) manuever by Disney leadership to nitpick nickels and dimes. In general I find that more offensive than I do soda pop stealers.
I will borrow from @luv "Raise the hotel rates $1.00/day and give the pop away".
That is my motto now and I think TDO would be wise to make it theirs....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom