Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
No one gets their dining plan for free...trust me on that. The vacation package may be discounted during those times but just because they say the dining plan is free doesn't mean it is

You are on the mark for the most part. Most of the time guests must choose between free dining or resort discounts, either way you are paying. There are cases where free dining is just that, free because there are not other discounts available.

Last Christmas (12/21-1/4) we spent two weeks at BWI with four of us and free dining because the promotion for free dining was for check-ins through 12/21. However there were no resort discounts for nightly stays after the 21st or 22nd (public or AP offers) either so it was a big WIN for us saving me a decent amount of cash for our TS meals.

DManRightHere

I had the opportunity to laugh this week. I watched a lady try to use a foam cup from her room coffee pot to nab some free diet coke at the resort. She couldn't figure out how to turn it on. As she reached in she made an editorial somewhat snarky comment that she didn't have a fancy cup like mine. I watched her fumble around while I filled my root beer. And she looked at me finally. I explained the dispensing system and the chip in both the plastic and paper cups sold. She stormed off. A bit funny.
Serves her right.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
I had the opportunity to laugh this week. I watched a lady try to use a foam cup from her room coffee pot to nab some free diet coke at the resort. She couldn't figure out how to turn it on. As she reached in she made an editorial somewhat snarky comment that she didn't have a fancy cup like mine. I watched her fumble around while I filled my root beer. And she looked at me finally. I explained the dispensing system and the chip in both the plastic and paper cups sold. She stormed off. A bit funny.

We saw a lot of that type behavior at Christmas (at BWI) with guests coming up with expired cups from the night before, old refill mugs, and even one trying to fill a Tervis tumbler with soda.

Only problem I saw is most gave up quickly but went straight for the tea... They know they were trying to steal.

WDWDad13

You are on the mark for the most part. Most of the time guests must choose between free dining or resort discounts, either way you are paying. There are cases where free dining is just that, free because there are not other discounts available.

Last Christmas (12/21-1/4) we spent two weeks at BWI with four of us and free dining because the promotion for free dining was for check-ins through 12/21. However there were no resort discounts for nightly stays after the 21st or 22nd (public or AP offers) either so it was a big WIN for us saving me a decent amount of cash for our TS meals.

Actually what truly happens behind the scenes most of the time is the dining plan is advertised as free while the room rack rakes go to peak levels ...it's smart on their part though no doubt

CDavid

I got to see a version of this myself last week. A family bought 4 breakfast meals and 1 drink. The dad then asked for 3 water cups. The cashier just kind of grinned. The little kid said "but dad, I want a pop too". Dad shushed him and whispered to his wife "It's self serve, no need". Move over to the drink station and junior was having a breakdown because no matter how hard he pushed, no Coke would come out. "It's broken! " he kept yelling across the food court. Dad came up-same result. Not that I wanted Coke but I just couldn't help myself. I politely excused myself over to use the Coke and voila! Coke fillith my cup running over! I thought he was going to stab me with a straw. The gal wiping down the counters saw what was happening and said "Sir, that's a water cup. Water. For free. However you keep pushing the Coke button. Coke. Not free." And then physically pointed out the water selection. I laughed about that all day.

I'm thinking Disney still needs to do a better job explaining all this to customers. Yes, these people are trying to get more drinks than they've paid for. Further, no matter how many different signs you post or how many times you tell them some people remain oblivious (much like Fast Pass). Still, the objective to is to deter soft drink theft - not frustrate your customers. Had they understood the (admittedly overly complex) system in place, many people would have just bought four drinks. Although I'm not condoning the practice, in theory this guy even has sufficient free refills that he could have used his one cup to 'refill' the water cups with soda (are they enforcing the time limit on refills?).

And all that, just to save pennies in soft drink cost.

Actually what truly happens behind the scenes most of the time is the dining plan is advertised as free while the room rack rakes go to peak levels ...it's smart on their part though no doubt

Not exactly, Peak rates are only in place during the busiest times of year (around Christmas, in particular). When free dining is generally offered the room rack rates are not discounted below their full price for that season, but that is still well below the peak season price. Of course, getting a discount on the room rate and then paying for your meals often produces a greater savings.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I'm thinking Disney still needs to do a better job explaining all this to customers

Really? The people know exactly what they are TRYING to do...

Do you need an explanation on why a door is locked when the door says 'employees only'?

The clowns know exactly what they are trying to do... get something for nothing. I feel no pitty when their little schemes no longer work.

CDavid

Really? The people know exactly what they are TRYING to do...

Do you need an explanation on why a door is locked when the door says 'employees only'?

The clowns know exactly what they are trying to do... get something for nothing. I feel no pitty when their little schemes no longer work.

I don't think they understood their "little schemes" wouldn't work anymore until they tried it. You want them to understand how it all works so they'll pay the price for what they want just like everyone else. Again, the objective isn't to stop people drinking soda - it's to stop people drinking soda they haven't paid for.

A door with an 'employees only' sign would constitute an adequate explanation. Well, at least it should.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think they understood their "little schemes" wouldn't work anymore until they tried it

But they know exactly what those schemes are trying to get around doing... They know what the 'normal' thing to do is.

You want them to understand how it all works so they'll pay the price for what they want just like everyone else. Again, the objective isn't to stop people drinking soda - it's to stop people drinking soda they haven't paid for.

It's pretty obvious on how they can get a soda... its the same as everywhere... they buy one. They don't need to understand the mug program to know how to translate 'I want a soda from the cafeteria... ' into 'I should buy a soda'

this mentality that 'all soda is free' 'all refills are free' and someone needs to explain them that NO that isn't the expectation is asinine. These are grown adults.. not 11yr olds. Most even lived in the dark ages before self-serve fountain stations.

jaklgreen

But they know exactly what those schemes are trying to get around doing... They know what the 'normal' thing to do is.

It's pretty obvious on how they can get a soda... its the same as everywhere... they buy one. They don't need to understand the mug program to know how to translate 'I want a soda from the cafeteria... ' into 'I should buy a soda'

this mentality that 'all soda is free' 'all refills are free' and someone needs to explain them that NO that isn't the expectation is asinine. These are grown adults.. not 11yr olds. Most even lived in the dark ages before self-serve fountain stations.

I completely agree! Everyone knows you are supposed to buy your drinks. Just because the dispenser is self serve does not mean that it is free. People know they are stealing they just don't care because no one is going to prosecute them for it. And those "few pennies" add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars over the years. And I work in food, it does not matter how many times you say something to people they still do not listen! Everyone is in their own little world. I will tell people that "silverware and napkins are by the soda machine" and point to it and 2 SECONDS!!!! later people will ask "where are the napkins?"

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I got to see a version of this myself last week. A family bought 4 breakfast meals and 1 drink. The dad then asked for 3 water cups. The cashier just kind of grinned. The little kid said "but dad, I want a pop too". Dad shushed him and whispered to his wife "It's self serve, no need". Move over to the drink station and junior was having a breakdown because no matter how hard he pushed, no Coke would come out. "It's broken! " he kept yelling across the food court. Dad came up-same result. Not that I wanted Coke but I just couldn't help myself. I politely excused myself over to use the Coke and voila! Coke fillith my cup running over! I thought he was going to stab me with a straw. The gal wiping down the counters saw what was happening and said "Sir, that's a water cup. Water. For free. However you keep pushing the Coke button. Coke. Not free." And then physically pointed out the water selection. I laughed about that all day.

Excellent, love it! Made me smile.

Nick Pappagiorgio

I was previously in the camp of "RF seems like major overkill for a minimal problem" but this last trip, I saw this sort of thing nearly every day. And I don't know if it has genuinely gotten worse with rising costs, or if it is just more obvious since it doesn't work now. But none the less, it seems to be doing the trick.

MissingDisney

I don't think they understood their "little schemes" wouldn't work anymore until they tried it. You want them to understand how it all works so they'll pay the price for what they want just like everyone else. Again, the objective isn't to stop people drinking soda - it's to stop people drinking soda they haven't paid for.

A door with an 'employees only' sign would constitute an adequate explanation. Well, at least it should.
Newsflash: The objective has changed and is now two-fold.

1. Save money by monitoring amount of soda dispensed.

2. Wannabe thieves look like morons while unsuccessfully attempting to steal.

BONUS- We get to watch #2 like a TV reality show. Possibly the humiliation of everyone watching these people walk away with empty drink containers will deter them from engaging in future crimes!

The paper cups with a chip have a set number of refills in a set amount of time. No need to 'enforce' as the computer does all the work. I saw some attempts to finagle this as well, all unsuccessful.

Violiav

I got to see a version of this myself last week. A family bought 4 breakfast meals and 1 drink. The dad then asked for 3 water cups. The cashier just kind of grinned. The little kid said "but dad, I want a pop too". Dad shushed him and whispered to his wife "It's self serve, no need". -snip--.

See, I don't get this. I've got a 6 person family, and yes there have been instances where we're flat broke. But what we do is we buy two drinks and share. If there's refills it's even better. I took the girls to some local friend ship fest a few months ago and instead of buying each of us a drink I just bought ONE refillable mug and we just took turns picking the soda. Everyone was happy.
At McD's you just buy the really big dollar sodas and refill to your hearts content.
If the drink is refillable -while there- then don't be a jerk. Let your kid have some of your drink or make everyone drink water. OR don't have soda for breakfast.

Seth7721

I will admit, I one of those people that goes for the "Free" tea! I try not to drink soda!(But, sometimes I'm week! LOL) So, thank you Disney for helping me out with that!

I also have to add that I am a pass holder, and I go to Disney at least once a month. Buying a rapid refill mug every time would get super expensive really fast. I really wish Disney would give pass holders a special mug!:happy:

MissingDisney

See, I don't get this. I've got a 6 person family, and yes there have been instances where we're flat broke. But what we do is we buy two drinks and share. If there's refills it's even better. I took the girls to some local friend ship fest a few months ago and instead of buying each of us a drink I just bought ONE refillable mug and we just took turns picking the soda. Everyone was happy.
At McD's you just buy the really big dollar sodas and refill to your hearts content.
If the drink is refillable -while there- then don't be a jerk. Let your kid have some of your drink or make everyone drink water. OR don't have soda for breakfast.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If I can not afford to buy a soda for each, then water it is, and I have drank plenty of water. In theory, you are paying the cost per person, per cup. Saying this is acceptable is like paying for one person and going with two friends to a buffet And then taking turns with the same plate, saying its not stealing because each person only went up once instead of repeated visits like a buffet usually offers. The cost is per person, not plate refill. The same goes for Refillable cups. It is not a drink buffet.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
To be thrifty is commendable. To steal because of your lack of family planning prevention measures is a totally different thing altogether.

If I'm selling soda products, why should I suffer because you failed to properly plan for your family size compared to your income level.

jaklgreen

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. If I can not afford to buy a soda for each, then water it is, and I have drank plenty of water. In theory, you are paying the cost per person, per cup. Saying this is acceptable is like paying for one person and going with two friends to a buffet And then taking turns with the same plate, saying its not stealing because each person only went up once instead of repeated visits like a buffet usually offers. The cost is per person, not plate refill. The same goes for Refillable cups. It is not a drink buffet.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Sharing a drink is still stealing even though a good portion of people do it. Now if there were no refills and you shared 1 cup that's fine but getting unlimited refills in one cup for more then 1 person is not right. If you want to steal that's on you but at least acknowledge that it is stealing. IMO

Violiav

Shareing a beverage is stealing now? So at the movies I should buy a giant tub for each person if I get one because that theatre chain allows refills on that tub? Wow. That's a very broad definition of stealing. Big difference between a buffet, where you pay per person upon entrance to the restaurant and McDs where you pay for what you're going to consume.
McDs doesn't care who or how many people consume their large coke. I've seen people set up in Mcds with their laptop and only get a coffee and nuggets the entire day. That's ok, but splitting sodas among kids isn't?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom