Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

KLinder7

Yeah I wondered when they clean those soda dispensers. It is nice they give you a sink these days to rinse your mugs, a little soap be nice too.

My DD that manages a mid sized waterpark has to make sure the employee Coleman Water Jug Spigot is sanitized along with the inner drum and lid so employees don't get sick, it is on the employee chore list for closing. Coleman recommends the Spigot is replaced every 6 to 12 months. They sell replacements. Wonder how many businesses that use Water Jugs do sanitize these let alone replace the Spigots.

At the GF, I went into the QS spot after a late night in the MK. I had to wait to get a drink while they put the caps back on the soda dispensers after a cleaning. So there is at least one piece of proof they cleaned.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Shareing a beverage is stealing now? So at the movies I should buy a giant tub for each person if I get one because that theatre chain allows refills on that tub?

The difference is sharing a single unit... and exploiting refills so a single unit provides for more customers than intended.

To use your movie popcorn analogy. The popcorn tub is intended to be shared by yourself and your group - not be passed around to everyone so one tub feeds the entire theater.

No one says you can't share your soda - but when you refills so you don't have to pay for something as you actually use it.. that's abuse.

note2001

Is 'tap water' still free, or is Disney charging for those cups too as they all now have a soda sticker on them?

I know folk hate the taste of Disney's tap water... different discussion, different day. I prefer H2O over soda, and the less plastic waste, the better.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
You took the words right out of my mouth. Sharing a drink is still stealing even though a good portion of people do it. Now if there were no refills and you shared 1 cup that's fine but getting unlimited refills in one cup for more then 1 person is not right. If you want to steal that's on you but at least acknowledge that it is stealing. IMO

Im curious if anyone knows when you buy a refillable mug is there any literature that says "no sharing"? or Does the CM tell you anything? I dont drink soda and havent used a refillable mug in years. Just curious.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
The difference is sharing a single unit... and exploiting refills so a single unit provides for more customers than intended.

To use your movie popcorn analogy. The popcorn tub is intended to be shared by yourself and your group - not be passed around to everyone so one tub feeds the entire theater.

No one says you can't share your soda - but when you refills so you don't have to pay for something as you actually use it.. that's abuse.

Interesting point. So if a mother buys a refillable mug for herself but her daughter occasionally has just a sip, at what point does it constitute stealing? If over the course of a week long trip the daughter has enough sips to actually fill an entire cup, is she stealing? Technically, I would say yes. Or if a CM witnesses someone sharing and getting refills are they allowed to say something? Im not trying to be a smart or anything, just looking at it from a legal standpoint. My fathers an attorney so we always get into these kind of conversations. As I said, its an interesting point you made.

asianway

Is 'tap water' still free, or is Disney charging for those cups too as they all now have a soda sticker on them?

I know folk hate the taste of Disney's tap water... different discussion, different day. I prefer H2O over soda, and the less plastic waste, the better.
Someone said on one of these threads that FL has a law tap water has to be available for free.

Cubfan300

Shareing a beverage is stealing now? So at the movies I should buy a giant tub for each person if I get one because that theatre chain allows refills on that tub? Wow. That's a very broad definition of stealing. Big difference between a buffet, where you pay per person upon entrance to the restaurant and McDs where you pay for what you're going to consume.
McDs doesn't care who or how many people consume their large coke. I've seen people set up in Mcds with their laptop and only get a coffee and nuggets the entire day. That's ok, but splitting sodas among kids isn't?
At the movies, you should buy individual popcorn and sodas. The concession stand is the only profit center that movie theater owners have, so by sharing, you are stealing from him. Ticket prices are driven by the movie studios and in the opening week they claim 95% of that price. It drops by 5-10% per week following opening, but as we all know, the number of people going to see a movie after opening week drops dramatically, even though the owner's fixed costs (rent, utilities, labor) all remain the same. Sharing=stealing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Interesting point. So if a mother buys a refillable mug for herself but her daughter occasionally has just a sip, at what point does it constitute stealing?

Well.. first.. don't use the word 'stealing' - that implies a much higher standard of damage and intent. 'abuse' is a better word because it's about taking freedoms too far for your gain at the expense of others.

To the point of.. where is the line. It should just be looked at as "are you sharing to the extent that you are replacing what you otherwise would have paid for".

Sharing a soda because you only want a drink or two... the second person wasn't likely to buy a drink anyway.. you aren't significantly altering who the purchase was for... its just sharing.

Buying one soda, and providing drinks for 4 people through refills is abuse. Those 4 people would have otherwise typically needed a beverage.. now they do not. The refills are intended to provide the purchaser more drink, not enable the purchaser to provide everyone they know with a drink... and in turn taking sales away from the business.

If over the course of a week long trip the daughter has enough sips to actually fill an entire cup, is she stealing? Technically, I would say yes

Technically I would say no.. because no one is expected to retain one cup of soda for one week.

Taking a sip from your 16oz cup as you fill it.. so you even up needing 18oz isn't abuse. It's within a margin of use and is customer friendly. Taking your 16oz cup and then filling 3 other cups is abuse. It's outside the normal margin of use and the usage is far beyond what the product was sold as.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Shareing a beverage is stealing now? So at the movies I should buy a giant tub for each person if I get one because that theatre chain allows refills on that tub? Wow. That's a very broad definition of stealing. Big difference between a buffet, where you pay per person upon entrance to the restaurant and McDs where you pay for what you're going to consume.
McDs doesn't care who or how many people consume their large coke. I've seen people set up in Mcds with their laptop and only get a coffee and nuggets the entire day. That's ok, but splitting sodas among kids isn't?

The difference is that one person purchased a single beverage with unlimited refills for that visit and used it as agreed by the restaurant, when multiple people share the same beverage cup and refill it several times that is stealing because the unlimited refills is limited to one person not an entire family. Many McDonald's around here have had to put up signs on the machines stating just that and McDonald's franchise owners do care very much how many people share a single beverage, they care a lot because they are they to sell food and beverages for a profit.

As others have stated, if you share a single large beverage with NO REFILLS, that is perfectly acceptable but if you go get an additional cup full you are acknowledging that you planned to drink more than one cup but simply did not want to pay for each cup per person. Anytime my wife and I share a beverage we DO NOT REFILL as a matter of ethics, anything less would be teaching my children to steal and that it is okay.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Technically I would say no.. because no one is expected to retain one cup of soda for one week.

Taking a sip from your 16oz cup as you fill it.. so you even up needing 18oz isn't abuse. It's within a margin of use and is customer friendly. Taking your 16oz cup and then filling 3 other cups is abuse. It's outside the normal margin of use and the usage is far beyond what the product was sold as.

What about the refillable mug that lasts your entire stay. If the mother buys herself a refillable mug and not one for the daughter (ya thats mean, its just for arguments sake) and the mother fills it up and the daughter drinks the entire mug and then the mother goes and refills it, that would be considered abuse. Whats the difference if the 'sips' the daughter takes here and there over the course of a few days total the sum of one full mug or more? The same amount of soda has been 'taken/abused'. Does the elapsed time between 'sips' make it any different? Its the same amount of soda even if it takes longer for the daughter(who does not a have a mug) to drink it. Again, please dont mistake this question as me being an , or trying to be nit-picky, just posing the question, and I have not used the rapid refill system ever so my knowledge of it is strictly based off what I have read about it.:)

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Anytime my wife and I share a beverage we DO NOT REFILL as a matter of ethics, anything less would be teaching my children to steal and that it is okay.

Its all about the ethics. As the world moves forward, it seems less people care about ethics, and thats sad. I will argue with people at work or wherever if I see them liter. The responses are always similar "someone will pick it up", or "theres a cleaning crew for that". I recently watched a guy throw an empty cigarette box on the ground and he was standing about ten feet from a huge open dumpster. He lit his cigarette and watched as I picked it up and threw it in the dumpster. He didnt say anything, just looked at me like I was crazy. Without ethics, we are just savages.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Someone said on one of these threads that FL has a law tap water has to be available for free.

Another slice of truth being misrepresented on the web. Happens all the time :)

Food Code - http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/2009FoodCode.html on how places must be built out and handle food
Administrative Code requirements - https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ChapterHome.asp?Chapter=61C-4
Statutes - http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/hr/statutes/food-lodg-statutes.html - specifically -> http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0500-0599/0509/0509.html

No mentions of being required to provide water free of charge. They are required through osha tho to provide potable water to their employees.

All from the Florida regulator on the topic - http://www.myfloridalicense.com/dbpr/hr/

MouseDreaming

We are big water drinkers, and not so much soda. On our trip in March, you still get free cups, but they are the small cups, now. Not the larger ones they use for sodas.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Whats the difference if the 'sips' the daughter takes here and there over the course of a few days total the sum of one full mug or more?

Because it is impractical to assume a person would buy one cup of fountain soda with the intention of using it for a duration of a week. Their level of use/need would not likely have resulted in a purchase. When it comes to the test of 'did this displace a sale?' - it fails to meet that criteria.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom