Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

MissingDisney

Is 'tap water' still free, or is Disney charging for those cups too as they all now have a soda sticker on them?

I know folk hate the taste of Disney's tap water... different discussion, different day. I prefer H2O over soda, and the less plastic waste, the better.
The water cups do not have a sticker/chip. They are generic "Coke" paper cups and look nothing like the purchased soda/beverage chipped cups tht you can buy with a meal or individually. So....even when one uses their free water cus at the sweet iced tea tap, everyone can clearly tell they are taking something they did not pay for.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
What about the refillable mug that lasts your entire stay. If the mother buys herself a refillable mug and not one for the daughter (ya thats mean, its just for arguments sake) and the mother fills it up and the daughter drinks the entire mug and then the mother goes and refills it, that would be considered abuse. Whats the difference if the 'sips' the daughter takes here and there over the course of a few days total the sum of one full mug or more? The same amount of soda has been 'taken/abused'. Does the elapsed time between 'sips' make it any different? Its the same amount of soda even if it takes longer for the daughter(who does not a have a mug) to drink it. Again, please dont mistake this question as me being an , or trying to be nit-picky, just posing the question, and I have not used the rapid refill system ever so my knowledge of it is strictly based off what I have read about it.:)

To be honest, I believe the cups are intended as a per-user sale for the duration of your stay and are not meant to be shared between family members. It is one thing for a guest to purchase a single mug then proceed to fill it with their beverage, drink their cup and pass to a family member. In my eyes, this is abusing the system. Disney intentionally has the cups manufactured in small sizes to limit the behaviour mentioned above as much as possible while also meeting the needs of the average guest.

What you are asking above is acceptable in very small amounts in my eyes but should be severely limited. If you are staying for a long period of time and your child will be drinking a cup or so each stop or day (even added up with multiple trips) then a length of stay cup should be purchased for them. If you are there for a day or two and they are going to be consuming 6oz of beverage in total over that period, the level of use is so low that it does not impact the integrity of the system.

Lets face it, in the grand scheme of things when looking at the cost of your vacation while staying at a Disney resort, is adding $72.00 (4 cups for length of stay at $17.99 each) or so for all the soda, tea, coffee and hot cocoa you can drink at your resort for the duration of your stay so much it is going to break the bank?

Obi

The difference is that one person purchased a single beverage with unlimited refills for that visit and used it as agreed by the restaurant, when multiple people share the same beverage cup and refill it several times that is stealing because the unlimited refills is limited to one person not an entire family. Many McDonald's around here have had to put up signs on the machines stating just that and McDonald's franchise owners do care very much how many people share a single beverage, they care a lot because they are they to sell food and beverages for a profit.

As others have stated, if you share a single large beverage with NO REFILLS, that is perfectly acceptable but if you go get an additional cup full you are acknowledging that you planned to drink more than one cup but simply did not want to pay for each cup per person. Anytime my wife and I share a beverage we DO NOT REFILL as a matter of ethics, anything less would be teaching my children to steal and that it is okay.
but...but....but, you're lord vader! you're supposed to be evil.... no one would DARE try to tell you that you can't use your mug to get drinks for others.... ;)

in all seriousness, i applaud you for your ethics and passing them on to your children.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Lets face it, in the grand scheme of things when looking at the cost of your vacation while staying at a Disney resort, is adding $72.00 (4 cups for length of stay at $17.99 each) or so for all the soda, tea, coffee and hot cocoa you can drink at your resort for the duration of your stay so much it is going to break the bank?

I agree. The easy thing is just buy the dang mugs and you can drink all you want, or bring a bunch of soda with you. Im not a fan of paying $8 for a beer at La Cava or in Germany pavilion, but I do it because Im on vacation and I want to enjoy myself. We stop at the grocery store before we arrive and buy a twelve pack to keep in the room to save a little money. We stay at YC/BC mostly and when we walk to HS I just take a beer from the fridge and enjoy it on the walk (i put it in a plastic cup). Saves me some money that I can spend on beverages at the park. Win/win

note2001

The water cups do not have a sticker/chip. They are generic "Coke" paper cups and look nothing like the purchased soda/beverage chipped cups tht you can buy with a meal or individually. So....even when one uses their free water cus at the sweet iced tea tap, everyone can clearly tell they are taking something they did not pay for.

We are big water drinkers, and not so much soda. On our trip in March, you still get free cups, but they are the small cups, now. Not the larger ones they use for sodas.

Good to hear, Thanks!

bhg469

The last time we visited, we didn't buy a mug because we were only on site for 4 days. Instead we brought some Brita filter bottles. Ice is free, all the stands and restaurants will give you a cup of ice. Even when you ask for a small cup they often fill up a larger cup for you. Then we topped off the bottle and filled with the fountain water. It got rid of the Florida funky water taste and it was actually refreshing. I gave up soda a while ago and if I drink anything its unsweetened tea. Even when I didn't bring my bottles, I thought the abuse was sad. Yes Disney is a multi million dollar company and the soda abuse costs them nothing, but ethically its wrong.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
but...but....but, you're lord vader! you're supposed to be evil.... no one would DARE try to tell you that you can't use your mug to get drinks for others.... ;)

in all seriousness, i applaud you for your ethics and passing them on to your children.

I returned to the good side in the end... :D

lebeau

The last time we visited, we didn't buy a mug because we were only on site for 4 days. Instead we brought some Brita filter bottles. Ice is free, all the stands and restaurants will give you a cup of ice. Even when you ask for a small cup they often fill up a larger cup for you. Then we topped off the bottle and filled with the fountain water. It got rid of the Florida funky water taste and it was actually refreshing. I gave up soda a while ago and if I drink anything its unsweetened tea. Even when I didn't bring my bottles, I thought the abuse was sad. Yes Disney is a multi million dollar company and the soda abuse costs them nothing, but ethically its wrong.

We always do this. Best way to fight off dehydration without breaking the bank or littering the world with plastic water bottles. Much more convenient than carting mugs around.

tissandtully

We always do this. Best way to fight off dehydration without breaking the bank or littering the world with plastic water bottles. Much more convenient than carting mugs around.

Yeah, I ask for a large cup but most of the time they just give me the smaller one. It's good to hold on to the cup to fill up at fountains. I don't mind the WDW tapwater taste.

sporadic

How dare you take my free soda away...
biggulphuge.jpg

Mouse_Trap

though when was the last time you heard of somebody getting ill from a soda machine? I don't think I have ever heard of this.

If that's the case then I wouldn't worry too much about it. People get far too worked up about stuff sometimes.
But can you imagine the level of fecal material that must be on chairs, benches, and seats around the entire Disney property?

What would happen if average guests sat in those same spots with only 2 layers, and only one for those that go commando, to protect their own anuses from being contaminated???

The humanity!!

I am never going again!!!!

Won't somebody please think of the children! :D

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
At the GF, I went into the QS spot after a late night in the MK. I had to wait to get a drink while they put the caps back on the soda dispensers after a cleaning. So there is at least one piece of proof they cleaned.

Thank You for that! Appreciated.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
A mother can justify stealing to her hearts content, but it's still stealing.

You know who you are and you know what you are doing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom