Rapid Fill Mug Program Fails (at more ways than you might think)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
There were freestyle machines in the tasting room when we were there in November of 2012. But, not prominently in the main area. They were off in the alcove farthest away from the gift shop/exit.
The coke only tasting room (that's all coke)? Now that you mention it, I think you're right...but I don't recall seeing them offhand. I went in Jan of last year.

Soarin' Over Pgh

My mom and I were talking about the refillable mugs we got at the poly last year and explaining to significant others how it worked. We had iced tea in the morning and coffee and she had soda in the afternoon while I had lemonade or iced tea and we just loved it, it was a great deal for us.

I then told her about the refillable thing they have now with the time limits and RFID and such and you know that look a deer has when your headlights catch it? That's the exact look she gave me. Followed by an awkward silence, then talking about o'hana and that amazing pineapple bread.

Felt like sharing a non disney forum reading person POV of the new system. As much as she enjoyed wdw, and loved the poly, and everything else, she didn't quite comprehend the new drink system. I can't explain it any better. I tried my best. :/

deerinheadlights.jpg

ratherbeinwdw

The Freestyle machines are no big deal where we live in Georgia. We've had them quite a while here. We have them in some of our theaters, in Fuddruckers, in Zaxby's, and in Moe's--who was first to have them in our city. I like them because they are one of the few places I can get Caffeine free Diet coke. The line does sometimes have a holdup for kids trying to mix several different flavors. Fuddruckers has four machines which keeps the line from backing up. Zaxby's only has one, which can cause a line sometimes. The theaters have a line of them and Moe's only has one.

jlsHouston

Well back to my favorite thread ever....so here I sit sipping on a rasberry vanilla coke...that I created at PEI WEI this evening at the FS soda machine....and put it in a to go cup so I could RAPID REFILL IT :cautious: on my way out the door...
And the reason why it was rasberry:eek:? The cherry coke option was OUT:mad:

Goofyernmost

My mom and I were talking about the refillable mugs we got at the poly last year and explaining to significant others how it worked. We had iced tea in the morning and coffee and she had soda in the afternoon while I had lemonade or iced tea and we just loved it, it was a great deal for us.

I then told her about the refillable thing they have now with the time limits and RFID and such and you know that look a deer has when your headlights catch it? That's the exact look she gave me. Followed by an awkward silence, then talking about o'hana and that amazing pineapple bread.

Felt like sharing a non disney forum reading person POV of the new system. As much as she enjoyed wdw, and loved the poly, and everything else, she didn't quite comprehend the new drink system. I can't explain it any better. I tried my best. :/

deerinheadlights.jpg

What am I missing here? Using your scenario, what exactly changed for that? Was that couple of minutes time frame for refills changing anything based on what you did before? Where you using them other places or where you using one cup and sharing? Other then that, I don't see how the "new" system would affect you (or her) at all.

jlsHouston

What am I missing here? Using your scenario, what exactly changed for that? Was that couple of minutes time frame for refills changing anything based on what you did before? Where you using them other places or where you using one cup and sharing? Other then that, I don't see how the "new" system would affect you (or her) at all.

The new system is different. Maybe it works better now IF you properly sit the dang thing down when you push the lever to get a soda. But the entire program with the mugs is different. It's not like before where you bought a mug and didn't have to think about what you could or could not do to get your drinks at the QS restaurants. The only thing good about the new system is the mug colors changed. So we get a new colored cup as a souvenir at the end of the visit. And I'm not even sure about the number of refills you are entitled to if you get your mug with a DP or if you purchase one programmed for the length of stay. I didn't even factor that into how I used our mugs in November. But we all had issues getting the soda to dispense because we weren't sitting the cups down. And the CM's at Roaring Forks and Gasparillas were no help.After 4 days I figured it out myself. Rapid Refill sucks.

flynnibus

Premium Member

That's because for everyone playing by the rules the whole thing is unnessary... But the system isn't there to change them and beside knowing where to place the mug they'll never have to care.

jlsHouston

That's because for everyone playing by the rules the whole thing is unnessary... But the system isn't there to change them and beside knowing where to place the mug they'll never have to care.

Exactly. I always got my mugs before on the DP. Last visit was the first time I did WDW without a DP. It never even crossed my mind to go dig up a couple of old cups..I think I only had one left from summer anyways, somehow I always end up giving them away or my daughter takes them or we lose one when we are on property so we have never accumulated a stash of them anyways after 5 visits with the free mugs from buying the DP.
Anyways I walked into WL at 10:30 at night ready to buy 3 mugs and I see the sign. I had already passed people in the lobby with mugs and I knew we were finally getting new colors. I didn't even hesitate to lay the cash down for the mug with the refills through the end of my visit.
That is probably what irritated me the most was here I am happy to get new colors in the mugs and then I have to fight to get the soda to come out, and I feel like an idiot when I finally figure out how it operates...
I guess I didn't feel quite so stupid since on day 2 the cleaning person in the dining room was trying to help other guests use the mugs because they couldn't get the soda out either and she hadn't even been trained on sitting the mugs down and then pushing the lever!!
And you know Roaring Forks, you aren't getting help there, you're lucky to get through the line with your food at least warm..there are no expeditors to assist with heavy trays or anything at that QS.

Goofyernmost

Placing the cups down on the machine seems pretty basic to me even without instruction. I'd be willing to bet, I don't know this for sure, but I would be awfully surprised if there wasn't a tag or small sign (at least) somewhere on the machine or immediate vicinity. Just saying! At best, it seems like a minor complaint and falls under the heading of operator error.

jlsHouston

Placing the cups down on the machine seems pretty basic to me even without instruction. I'd be willing to bet, I don't know this for sure, but I would be awfully surprised if there wasn't a tag or small sign (at least) somewhere on the machine or immediate vicinity. Just saying! At best, it seems like a minor complaint and falls under the heading of operator error.

Well it may be basic for you but his old lady holds her freaking cup up. And I never said it wasn't operator error. And minor or not it's the small stuff that counts IMO. You can see it your way and I see it my way.

Goofyernmost

Well it may be basic for you but his old lady holds her freaking cup up. And I never said it wasn't operator error. And minor or not it's the small stuff that counts IMO. You can see it your way and I see it my way.
One can train a dog to do tricks, seems like training a human as to how something works wouldn't be a drawn out process. A process yes, but, one worthy of that much concern? Sorry, can't buy that! Just another empty argument against something new.

NormC

Nothing really changed. You can refill every three minutes and it all worked flawlessly when we were there this past week. You also do not have to wait while one of the soda thieves fills up their 7-eleven big gulps or milk jugs. Small learning curve for the average person. You actually have to place the mug on the sensor. Even the kids all figured it out.

NormC

Nope, no sign but it was fairly obvious. Old habits are hard to break though.

Dwarful

I never set any cups down on the machine. We didn't have to do that at the water parks either. It was scan the bar code sticker and make your selection and fill your cup. I haven't been there since they started this new system so I have no idea of there is a sign with instructions. But at none of my local fast food places do I have to set the cup down to fill it up. Not even the coke free style machines. I fill my cup full of ice and I mean full to the top...I love my ice, so setting the cup down would increase the splashing and making a sticky mess. Just saying in my opinion, it isn't exactly common sense to set down the cup to fill it up.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I never set any cups down on the machine. We didn't have to do that at the water parks either. It was scan the bar code sticker and make your selection and fill your cup. I haven't been there since they started this new system so I have no idea of there is a sign with instructions. But at none of my local fast food places do I have to set the cup down to fill it up. Not even the coke free style machines. I fill my cup full of ice and I mean full to the top...I love my ice, so setting the cup down would increase the splashing and making a sticky mess. Just saying in my opinion, it isn't exactly common sense to set down the cup to fill it up.
I agree... I don't think I have EVER set down my cup to fill it up anywhere.

sporadic

Well first for the Magic Band it DOES INDEED use Bluetooth LE specifically a Nordic Semiconductor nRF24LE1, 4x4 mm, 24 pin QFN chip.
I realize this is a few months old and off topic for the thread, but it's one of the few references I've found to the 2.4Ghz chip used in the Magic Bands. The nRF24LE1 isn't a Bluetooth LE chip. Are you sure it's a nRF24LE1? I found some internal shots of the long range transceivers here and it looks like they're using TI CC2541 chips which are Bluetooth LE, but also have the ability to be programmed to proprietary protocols. I've even seen reference to the CC2541 proprietary protocol being compatible with nRF's here. I assume they're talking about the nRF24 series. I'm really hoping they're nRF24 compatible.... :)

jlsHouston

I realize this is a few months old and off topic for the thread, but it's one of the few references I've found to the 2.4Ghz chip used in the Magic Bands. The nRF24LE1 isn't a Bluetooth LE chip. Are you sure it's a nRF24LE1? I found some internal shots of the long range transceivers here and it looks like they're using TI CC2541 chips which are Bluetooth LE, but also have the ability to be programmed to proprietary protocols. I've even seen reference to the CC2541 proprietary protocol being compatible with nRF's here. I assume they're talking about the nRF24 series. I'm really hoping they're nRF24 compatible.... :)

Well why are you hoping they are nRF24 compatible?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom