News Rafiki's Planet Watch is closing Oct. 21st will reopen in Summer 2019

CJR

Just wanted to note, I can see why this is being reworked.

When we came back to this area a few weeks ago, we were looking for the old mermaid puppet show. Turns out, after searching here, it was removed around 2005. So, it's been a long while since we've been back in that area.

The Empress Lilly

Disneyrailfan1996

I was at RPW today. I got to go into the cab of locomotive Green and blow the whistle! Awesome experience. All you have to do is ask and they'll let you. I'm going to produce a tribute video to this awesome attraction over the next couple weeks. They've already started taking out a few exhibits from the trail to it. Most of the animals are being retrained. You might even see a few donkeys walking around Africa soon too lol.

Edit: so the donkeys have specially designed packs. The Comodo dragon has already moved.
Lucky! I remember doing that as a kid! I can’t remember what loco it was, but I think it was one of the brown ones. Wish I had a better memory of it, but it was at least 15 years ago. I’d imagine they COULD do something on the WDWRR during operation, but it would likely be (at least in part) an issue of liability.

Disney Maddux

Mickey Views just made a perfect point about this renovation. He said he believes it will stay as the Planet Watch, but with a new Zootopia section to go with it, and that it would include an exhibit about some of the species’ that live in Zootopia, and what they do in the real world, and a Judy and Nick M&G. So all of RPW stays, but a new Zootopia section with it.

That okay with you purists?

jt04

Mickey Views just made a perfect point about this renovation. He said he believes it will stay as the Planet Watch, but with a new Zootopia section to go with it, and that it would include an exhibit about some of the species’ that live in Zootopia, and what they do in the real world, and a Judy and Nick M&G. So all of RPW stays, but a new Zootopia section with it.

I'm the most vocal critics on these boards when it comes to Zootopia at DAK but this definitely works. Actually they could do a lot more with this new land than what you describe.

Disney Maddux

I'm the most vocal critics on these boards when it comes to Zootopia at DAK but this definitely works. Actually they could do a lot more with this new land than what you describe.
True! They could probably even make it like Fantasyland and Storybook Circus, where both are technically one big land, but split into different sections.

jt04

True! They could probably even make it like Fantasyland and Storybook Circus, where both are technically one big land, but split into different sections.

I'd like to see them start on the scale of Storeybook/Dinorama and see how it goes. One of the major benefits is it would allow them to remove current Dinorama. Then Dinoland could be fixed or turned into Indiana Jones land of something.

Disneyrailfan1996

I also wonder what might be done to the wild life express. Maybe a sound system upgrade? Track work? Coach refurbishment? Station refurbishment? Should be interesting to find out. I also recall (my memory is VERY fuzzy on this) a hidden Mickey experience at RPW where a cast member would activate lights on a wall and you would look for hidden mickeys. I can’t remember how long ago that was or what exactly it was, but I’d say 12 years ago at least, yet I do recall doing something like that as a kid one time at Disney.
I wonder what’ll happen to that during the refurb (unless of course I’m thinking of someplace else). I’m trying to remember what else was there, I know there was like a little show with an animated puppet (not an AA) that talked about the ocean and something like littering. I’m curious if that may get updated to reflect current times (it’s been ages since I last saw it let alone actually visited RPW)

danlb_2000

Premium Member

It sounds like idle speculation on his part, he doesn't provide any evidence that this is happening.

Disney Maddux

It sounds like idle speculation on his part, he doesn't provide any evidence that this is happening.
His evidence for it is of how Disney stated their will be another reason for guests to want to go to RPW, that combined with the surveys asking about Zootopia at DAK, he came with that theory.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom