News Rafiki's Planet Watch is closing Oct. 21st will reopen in Summer 2019

Kman101

The "line" seems to be "refurbishment" but I have my doubts. I feel like that was a quick saving face statement. I believe they probably have plans for there but I don't know that they initially wanted to do it so soon, they saw a way to save money but maybe realized they couldn't get away with it? Of course I'm probably totally wrong.

Curious to see if anything actually gets done and what it is. Why do we not have any inkling of what's happening here? @Magic Feather @marni1971 ? Seems quieter on some things ...

Disney Maddux

The "line" seems to be "refurbishment" but I have my doubts. I feel like that was a quick saving face statement. I believe they probably have plans for there but I don't know that they initially wanted to do it so soon, they saw a way to save money but maybe realized they couldn't get away with it? Of course I'm probably totally wrong.

Curious to see if anything actually gets done and what it is. Why do we not have any inkling of what's happening here? @Magic Feather @marni1971 ? Seems quieter on some things ...
I have a feeling this is a repeat of 20,000 Leagues... It's going under "renovation", never reopens, sits abandoned for a few months/years, then demolition begins.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, the biggest question: Is this now seasonal operation, or is it one big overhaul?
I've heard the latter but not sure
The "line" seems to be "refurbishment" but I have my doubts.

We've had reliable sources say it is indeed a refurb.... for now.
It may return in altered form.

A mild thematic overlay, with one or two minor additions, may be on the way to the Conservation station area. Not sure if the potential, yet to be green lit, timeline would have it finished by Spring 2019 or not, but guests may have a new reason to take the Wildlife Express.

WDWMagic said:
Despite earlier information that suggested Rafiki's Planet Watch is permanently closing, it now seems there are plans for the attraction to reopen in 2019.

The final day of operation for 2018 will be October 21, and Disney has informed Cast members that there are plans to reopen in Spring 2019.

Changes are expected, but specific details are still to be determined.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

Hmmm.... We shall wait and see.

I still say it's going down the route of 20LUTS.
Wow, what a turnaround. Despite my earlier denials I think you may get your wish with a Zootopia presence (less than you want!) when this reopens. Have faith Dude, it may just happen in this IP driven world we live in today.....

Kman101

Well, wait til you see what actually happens.....

But aren't the Bug flat rides coming? ;) (I'm kidding; and wasn't that proven false? or am I out of the loop?)

I can imagine Nick and Judy would up the amount of guests who'd go to Planet Watch. It would likely easily demand a 30 minute wait every day. I doubt Doc McStuffins was a big draw.

But I guess we're all just trying to ... guess what they're going to do. I hope it's significant enough to keep it around but not lose some of what was there before. I was fully expecting a paid tour to come of Planet Watch.

jt04

But aren't the Bug flat rides coming? ;) (I'm kidding; and wasn't that proven false? or am I out of the loop?)

I can imagine Nick and Judy would up the amount of guests who'd go to Planet Watch. It would likely easily demand a 30 minute wait every day. I doubt Doc McStuffins was a big draw.

But I guess we're all just trying to ... guess what they're going to do. I hope it's significant enough to keep it around but not lose some of what was there before. I was fully expecting a paid tour to come of Planet Watch.

I hope you are out of the loop because for once such an add could not only make sense but draw a decent crowd consistently. And with a footprint that shouldn't impact future expansion significantly. IMO.

And finally send Dinorama into extinction.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes

That was a rumor going around, but it was shot down by insiders and disproven. Plus, the cost of moving the rides across country would barely be less than making them new.

So, don't expect bugs land flat rides to be making their way to Florida

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom