News Rafiki's Planet Watch is closing Oct. 21st will reopen in Summer 2019

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm basing people's ages on their profile if they are not lying which a lot of the times is coming from the age range of 21-29. Not just this board but another one I follow a lot of the people in that demographic are very boisterous on certain topics. I'm not saying Disney should be let off free for neglecting certain elements of the parks or that people should just shut up and take it.

I like playing devils advocate and always look at the bright side of things regardless if you think it's a sinking ship. Some of those years we were in a recession so what would be the point of adding attraction if attendance was going to improve anyways until the economy got better.

Yeah...that 21-29 demographic has been identified for what you’re talking about: growing up in the smart phone era and being real tough. That’s what happens when you never had to confront anyone face to face and deal with their emotional reactions in real time...because nobody has to do that anymore! 😜

It’s definitely a “thing”

As far as why would you build in a recession? Because it’s absolutely the best time to do it if you had a sense of longterm goals/Vision.

And now we come around turn 4 back to “the bobs”

peter11435

You don’t remember 2001-2011 when they added 3 attractions for four parks in WDW ...two of which actually worked?
2001-2011
Magic carpets of Aladdin
Triceratops Spin
Primevil Whirl
Mission space
Soarin
Lights Motors Action
Expedition Everest
Toy Story Mania

I’m excluding things that were re themes of existing attractions and I’m sure I’m missing some others

Certainly an insufficient list for 10 years at 4 parks but don’t sell it shorter than it already is.

Last edited:

Disney Maddux

I wouldn't rule out Zootopia as the "slight thematic overhaul" focus. Keeping it basically the same except for some signage. I think Lion King is a lot more likely as Rafiki means it was already vaguely lion king themed and the new movie is coming out next year.[/QUO
I wouldn't rule out Zootopia as the "slight thematic overhaul" focus. Keeping it basically the same except for some signage. I think Lion King is a lot more likely as Rafiki means it was already vaguely lion king themed and the new movie is coming out next year.
2001-2002
Magic carpets of Aladdin
Triceratops Spin
Primevil Whirl
Mission space
Soarin
Lights Motors Action
Expedition Everest
Toy Story Mania

I’m excluding things that were re themes of existing attractions and I’m sure I’m missing some others

Certainly an insufficient list for 10 years at 4 parks but don’t sell it shorter than it already is.
I thought LMA opened in 2005?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
2001-2002
Magic carpets of Aladdin
Triceratops Spin
Primevil Whirl
Mission space
Soarin
Lights Motors Action
Expedition Everest
Toy Story Mania

So you don’t remember what Chester and Hester was?

Hurriedly thrown together in response to a slow 99-2000 bleed in attendance at DAK?
It was.

Stunt show is gone...so no net gain which is really what matters.

I counted the other three...forget magic carpets - which is easy to do for an off the shelf spinner.

You’re highly intelligent...do you really want to defend the “lost decade”? Even the most adamant apologists don’t do that. You’re not one of them...but you seem of the “imagineering is always working on big things...just you wait!”...at times.

It was a bad decade...no?

peter11435

So you don’t remember what Chester and Hester was?

Hurriedly thrown together in response to a slow 99-2000 bleed in attendance at DAK?
It was.

Stunt show is gone...so no net gain which is really what matters.

I counted the other three...forget magic carpets - which is easy to do for an off the shelf spinner.

You’re highly intelligent...do you really want to defend the “lost decade”? Even the most adamant apologists don’t do that. You’re not one of them...but you seem of the “imagineering is always working on big things...just you wait!”...at times.

It was a bad decade...no?

It was a bad decade that should not be defended. But don’t lie.

Certainly I remember why dinorama was added and what it is.

Yes, LMA is gone but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t added when it was.

If we remove those three and throw out Aladdin that still leaves Mission Space, Soarin, Expedition Everest, and Toy Story Mania. So even if we move your goal post there were still more than 3.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It was a bad decade that should not be defended. But don’t lie.

Certainly I remember why dinorama was added and what it is.

Yes, LMA is gone but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t added when it was.

If we remove those three and throw out Aladdin that still leaves Mission Space, Soarin, Expedition Everest, and Toy Story Mania. So even if we move your goal post there were still more than 3.

It was overall embarrassing and a downturn in investment that still hasn’t recovered. During a 20-25% growth in overall attendance.

The experience was permanently altered.

Don’t worry about the goalposts...kick it into that net 🥅

I’m not in to giving “partial credit” to corporate juggernauts

jt04

Of course some people were saying that...

Others were looking at the motivations of why they would or would not build things....and that gets you closer to reality.

Let’s meet up under Christ the redeemer for a caipirinha and find some common ground 😎

And you are way off the grid...

Nobody said they’d build an ill advised park in China?? Who
Nobody said they wouldn’t let Paris collapse? Huh??? What the hell?

Replacement of downtown? It sat in mothballs after they closed half of it and announced a replacement and screeched with the housing crash...
Somebody said “never happen”? Who?

Somebody said they wouldn’t build roads?
...or perhaps some people said they aren’t replacing monorails? Getting warmer there.

Nobody said they’d buy fox? Swap “wanted them to” in there and you’re real close.

I’m gonna say you’re tired...usually the effort is better.

Your mine car has jumped the tracks.

peter11435

It was overall embarrassing and a downturn in investment that still hasn’t recovered. During a 20-25% growth in overall attendance.

The experience was permanently altered.

Don’t worry about the goalposts...kick it into that net 🥅

I’m not in to giving “partial credit” to corporate juggernauts

Again, I’m not defending that decade. It was terrible.

I’m not asking for partial credit, just for you to count properly.

EPICOT

I'm an AK purist and neither Indy or Zootopia would be the death knell of the park.

No, you are not an AK purist. Nor are you an EC purist. I’ve been reading your posts for awhile now and you often agree with both the IP-PixieDusters and ThemePark-Old-Guard. To me it seems your standard is whatever sounds fun. There’s nothing wrong with that, but don’t pretend like there is some sort of principled vision behind it. I’m not trying to be mean; it’s just that there are a few people on these forums hiding behind the title of “purist” yet are supporting the Bob’s lackluster-vision for the parks.

Castle Cake Apologist

No, you are not an AK purist. Nor are you an EC purist. I’ve been reading your posts for awhile now and you often agree with both the IP-PixieDusters and ThemePark-Old-Guard. To me it seems your standard is whatever sounds fun. There’s nothing wrong with that, but don’t pretend like there is some sort of principled vision behind it. I’m not trying to be mean; it’s just that there are a few people on these forums hiding behind the title of “purist” yet are supporting the Bob’s lackluster-vision for the parks.

I get what you're saying here, but people don't really have to fit into boxes...

Spencer_ralph46

As a "millennial" I have no problem with Iger. I think what he has done for the company has been great. The only gripe I have is the use of the Muppets especially since they've owned them for almost 14 years as all we've gotten is a sparsely themed restaurant and albeit a pretty entertaining street show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom