Questions for Park History Buffs

Kingdom WDW

Original Poster
1. Where did the logos for the pavilions originate from? Where were they used?

2. Where was the "Feel the Flow" song from in UoE?

3. Are there any references to Future World of Old in the present Future World? I know of the Horizons logo in Mission: Space, but are there any more?

Thanks,
~Kingdom

Fun2BFree

Some answers:

2- The song was written by Al Kasha and Joel Hirschorn, presumably for the attraction.
3-An area of Innoventions near the Epcot 25th exhibit used to have carpet featuring the Communicore logo until recently, when it was replaced by new carpet.

krankenstein

3-The old Imagination logo is painted on the wall around where Figment's Place was. When they took down the sign for the meet & greet it became visible again.

EPCOT Explorer

3. Are there any references to Future World of Old in the present Future World? I know of the Horizons logo in Mission: Space, but are there any more?

Thanks,
~Kingdom
Pavilion Logos were either on the Marquees or on the building themselves.

Feel the Flow was used in the Finale.

In new UoE the old song title "Energy-You make the World Go 'Round" is said by Johnny Gilbert,the announcer to Jeopardy.

The old EPCOT symbol is embedded in the concrete in Innoventions Plaza.THis is also the center of WDW that made EPCOT Center,Center.

THe old Communicore sybmbol is in the carpeting somewhere in Innoventions.

If I think of more,I'll be back.
:D

Mr.EPCOT

They were designed by WED Enterprises specifically for EPCOT Center. The idea behind them was to reinforce the cohesiveness and unity of the park, as opposed to the Disneyland/Magic Kingdom model, which is divided up into several distinctly seperate themed areas. There was the park logo, the set of five rings (supposedly representing Future World) surrounding the world depicted by latitude/longitude lines (supposedly representing World Showcase, a logo for each Futue World pavilion (Spaceship Earth, CommuniCore, Universe of Energy, Wonders of Life, Horizons, World of Motion, Journey Into Imagination, The Land, and The Living Seas), as well as one for all of World Showcase. You could find them at each pavilion, as well as directional signage throughout Future World, and collected on the Centorium signs, the main shop for EPCOT Center in CommuniCore East.

This song, actually titled Universe of Energy according to the various official albums over the years, was written specifically for the Universe of Energy pavilion. Marty Sklar showcased the various pavilion music in his EPCOT 25th Anniversary presentations, mentioning that he had felt it was important during the development of the park that each pavilion have a strong theme song.[/QUOTE]

Here's what I know of what logos are left:
-I believe Spaceship Earth only remains in the EPCOT 25th Anniversary Gallery in Innoventions West. There is a new, vaguely similar logo that some have speculated might be the start of a return to a unified logo system.
-CommuniCore is within the actual pavilion, but just in the 25th Gallery.
-Universe of Energy is just inside the entrance doors.
-Wonders of Life is completely gone, unless it is in the VIP Lounge.
-Horizons is located within Mission: SPACE, in the center of the gravity wheel, and a stylized version on the front of the register counter in the Cargo Bay gift shop.
-World of Motion in the 25th Gallery, and so far nowhere to be found at Test Track, still possibly somewhere in the General Motors VIP areas. For a time, the gift shop had been selling a racer-style leather jacket, featuring a patch on the front consisting of the WoM logo and the name "Future World Motors."
-Journey Into Imagination is on the aforementioned former Figment's Place sign.
-The Land is on the Living with the Land FastPass machines.
-The Living Seas is in the corner of one of the large information panels, I believe next to something about the Disney Conservation Fund.
-World Showcase is nowhere to be found.

And, of course, most of Future World itself is physically the same as it has always been, with the notable exception of the beautiful Horizons building, and different touches here and the such as Leave a Legacy, different paint, missing segments out of the edge of the CommuniCore/Innoventions protruding roof, etc.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If I may add...

the true name of "feel the flow" is simply "Universe of Energy" funnily enough! It was written for the pavilion, and was also preformed live in a jazzed up version at the UoE's dedication on October 4th 1982.

The EPCOT Center ring logo in the ground just south of Innoventions may be the original logo, but it isn`t original itself. It was added in 1994 as part of the Innoventions project. It replaced a flower bed and the flag pole.

Out of the park exists the ring logo too - though again it ain`t original. The new gates at the checkpoint have it in the grille pattern, and the dedication plaque has it too - though this logo also has the 1994 Epcot logo on it!

Horizons1

Out of the park exists the ring logo too - though again it ain`t original. The new gates at the checkpoint have it in the grille pattern, and the dedication plaque has it too - though this logo also has the 1994 Epcot logo on it!

Don't forget the various information boards outside of Epcot. They all have the original logo on them too, as well as the building between guest services and the bus information building. That whole area has a real EPCOT Center vibe to it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Ahh... THAT building. The original Group Bookings reception. I should have gotten a photo last year when you could still inside into 1982. Arn`t the windows tinted now? Yep, aside from the trees that area from the Monorail exit ramp to beyond the bus station is practically untouched.

EPCOT Explorer

My mom looked in there last year and said it looks like the 1980's!I had no idea what she was talking about then but I guess she's right!:lol:

Horizons1

Ahh... THAT building. The original Group Bookings reception. I should have gotten a photo last year when you could still inside into 1982. Arn`t the windows tinted now? Yep, aside from the trees that area from the Monorail exit ramp to beyond the bus station is practically untouched.

I thought they were always tinted. Either that, or they just draw the blinds after a certain time. Is it possible to walk in there now, even if ya have to play the lost tourist?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^ By all means go and knock on the door! It seemed deserted last October, but you could clearly see the same ceiling design as in the east and west support facility buildings (camera center and Gateway Gifts)

I-4Warrior

As a graphic designer, I always loved those logos. They are what a logo should be... something you can identify without needing words to spell it out.

kag1984

The old EPCOT symbol is embedded in the concrete in Innoventions Plaza.THis is also the center of WDW that made EPCOT Center,Center.

You know I've heard a lot of people say this, and I had asked one of the imagineers working on the Spaceship Earth refurb about that and he told me that it was not the center of WDW, or EPCOT. So I don't know if he was mistaken or if it is just a really awesome story that took on a life of its own. :shrug:

Mr.EPCOT

This is possibly the most annoying Disney urban legend of all time. The idea that they named the park because of its supposed central physical location within Walt Disney World is exceedingly silly. As Martin noted, the EPCOT symbol in the ground wasn't even there until 1994. Beyond that, the center of WDW property constantly shifts all the time as Disney gains and loses land. For another thing, if that was the basis, then they certainly wouldn't have taken that word off the name. The idea behind the Center added to EPCOT was to give the idea that this was the heart and soul of WDW, and give people the impression of a hub for emerging ideas and technology. And to help distinguish it from EPCOT the city, which it decidely was not.

tirian

The old logos were much more futuristic than the "Gee, look at me, I can use Illustrator!" word graphics recently slapped on the pavilions.

:mad:

//end rant

I hope the new SSE logo is a sign of things to come—no pun intended.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom