Questions for Park History Buffs

EPCOT Explorer

You know I've heard a lot of people say this, and I had asked one of the imagineers working on the Spaceship Earth refurb about that and he told me that it was not the center of WDW, or EPCOT. So I don't know if he was mistaken or if it is just a really awesome story that took on a life of its own. :shrug:

This is possibly the most annoying Disney urban legend of all time. The idea that they named the park because of its supposed central physical location within Walt Disney World is exceedingly silly. As Martin noted, the EPCOT symbol in the ground wasn't even there until 1994. Beyond that, the center of WDW property constantly shifts all the time as Disney gains and loses land. For another thing, if that was the basis, then they certainly wouldn't have taken that word off the name. The idea behind the Center added to EPCOT was to give the idea that this was the heart and soul of WDW, and give people the impression of a hub for emerging ideas and technology. And to help distinguish it from EPCOT the city, which it decidely was not.
Sorry.Didn't know.:eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom