Question about Disney Stand-Alone Resorts (D.C, Hawaii)

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Hello everyone,

I'm new here and so far I really like what I see. I truly enjoy a good Disney vacation and I was thrilled to learn Disney is planning to build a resort here in my backyard of Washington D.C.

I would like to know if anyone has any information as to what Disney would do with a stand-alone resort. From what I've read they purchased 15 acres (at National Harbor) and that's much more land than needed just for a hotel. Does anyone know what's being planned for the resort in Hawaii? Have they begun construction yet and could something similar come to D.C.? What kind of attractions can we expect Disney to build at these resorts considering the space/land available? Anybody know anything? Thanks guys.

Mr.EPCOT

Hawaii will just be a Resort, and all of the recreation and such you would expect a such a hotel.

Anything that could be said about Washington at this point would be pure speculation, as the only thing that's been officially announced is the land purchase. It's reasonable to say that there will be a hotel, though. What else might be built is anyone's guess. Disney has made some noise over the past year or two about getting started with some form of regional entertainment, but haven't specifically stated what they have in mind. It's very possible that D.C. will feature the debut of whatever concept they've come up with. Could be something along the lines of Downtown Disney. It's also been said that Disney might try building a year-round water park there. So it really could be anything.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Wow...the resort in Hawaii looks spectacular! I really hope they don't do an all year around water park. I wouldn't mind a down town disney but I really wish they would build some type of ride...even if it's just one. Maybe a Pirates of the Caribbean style boat on water where they replicate George washington on the Potomac and other activity by the river...

luvlifeinfl

Want to say welcome! :wave:

Wash, DC is also in my back yard. I see it to be a luxury resort/ hotel and with it be become somewhat like a getway resort like Hilton Head & Vero Beach. Not over themed w/ Disney but enough that you know who owns it.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Thank you luvlifeinfl:ROFLOL:

Well, I for one hope it's very Disney themed but in a Nations capital/patriotic kind of way that fits right in.

Mr.EPCOT

Wow...the resort in Hawaii looks spectacular! I really hope they don't do an all year around water park. I wouldn't mind a down town disney but I really wish they would build some type of ride...even if it's just one. Maybe a Pirates of the Caribbean style boat on water where they replicate George washington on the Potomac and other activity by the river...

Sorry, I can say with a fair amount of confidence that there won't be any rides, unless it's of the water park variety.

i was actually just out at the national harbor last weekend. from what they are reporting, the disney hotel is only going to be 500 rooms. thats less than the contemporary resort, which i know is nothing to scoff at, but its not that large compared to the other hotels around there. also as cool as that area is right now, theres really nothing there for families. so maybe thats what the hotel will try to bring? its a bunch of upscale shops and restaurants. a disney hotel will definitly change the dynamics of the area.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
i was actually just out at the national harbor last weekend. from what they are reporting, the disney hotel is only going to be 500 rooms. thats less than the contemporary resort, which i know is nothing to scoff at, but its not that large compared to the other hotels around there. also as cool as that area is right now, theres really nothing there for families. so maybe thats what the hotel will try to bring? its a bunch of upscale shops and restaurants. a disney hotel will definitly change the dynamics of the area.

That's what I'm hoping for because you said it, there's nothing for families right now.

foreverbelle

I to am from the Dc area, and work down in DC (SE to be exact.) And believe me, I think its so cool that it isn't to far away if it is going to be Disney hotel I do think its going to be a smaller resort but still cool none the less.

Welcome to the boards!

luvlifeinfl

Just a thought to toss out.

Just looking at the the map if the Harbour, you have Reagan Airport, The Mall about 20 min from there, so for families to see all the muesums in a package deal. becasue I know the spy muesum cost..

But another attractions that catch my eye is the naval reasearch lab., boiling AFB, not sure these are tourable areas.

I do see this hotel location to be more for conventions, and families that just want to see the historical side of DC, not so much theme park.

So I would not expect to see Mickey Mouse to be running around DC.

Just a thought to toss out.

Just looking at the the map if the Harbour, you have Reagan Airport, The Mall about 20 min from there, so for families to see all the muesums in a package deal. becasue I know the spy muesum cost..

But another attractions that catch my eye is the naval reasearch lab., boiling AFB, not sure these are tourable areas.

I do see this hotel location to be more for conventions, and families that just want to see the historical side of DC, not so much theme park.

So I would not expect to see Mickey Mouse to be running around DC.

the research lab and airforce base are not tourable, but yes obviously there are plenty of things in DC that are. however the resort is still technically outside of the city. the harbor is allready fighting with the city trying to get better transportation back and forth between there and teh city. i guess im just used to WDW where when you are in the World you are IN the World!
I know that disney will figure this out because of course they are there to be close to the nations capitol. i just wonder if will we ever see some sort of form of what Colonial Disney resort was supposed to be...

luvlifeinfl

the research lab and airforce base are not tourable, but yes obviously there are plenty of things in DC that are. however the resort is still technically outside of the city. the harbor is allready fighting with the city trying to get better transportation back and forth between there and teh city. i guess im just used to WDW where when you are in the World you are IN the World!
I know that disney will figure this out because of course they are there to be close to the nations capitol. i just wonder if will we ever see some sort of form of what Colonial Disney resort was supposed to be...

Makes sense, I know when we go down we do drive and just pay the 12.00-15.00 in a parking garage. So with all this chatter it will be very interesting to see what kind of plans are drawn up. heck who knows thye might sit on the land for a few more yrs before plans are presented.:shrug:

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Makes sense, I know when we go down we do drive and just pay the 12.00-15.00 in a parking garage. So with all this chatter it will be very interesting to see what kind of plans are drawn up. heck who knows thye might sit on the land for a few more yrs before plans are presented.:shrug:

I can definitely see them having a water shuttle/taxi to Old Town Alexandria and downtown...maybe with a funny captain like on jungle cruise?

durangojim

I stayed at Gaylord National this past March for a convention, and the area and resort are very nice. I could see Disney doing something similar to what Gaylord has done in that they could theme the resort to a colonial Williamsburg type of feel with some historic references. As for an actual ride or attractions, I just don't see it happening. That area has a lot of shops and restaurants already, so I'm not sure what besides a resort, Disney could add on only 15 acres.

majortom1981

hmm

I can see the dc one being mainly a dvc /convention center then a regular hotel.

Anybody who is in the dvc (i just became a member) would love to be able to use points to stay in d isney dvc hotels when not going to disney.

Now lets hope disney builds a nyc one (They could have disney broadway play/ hotel packages).

yankspy

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and so far I really like what I see. I truly enjoy a good Disney vacation and I was thrilled to learn Disney is planning to build a resort here in my backyard of Washington D.C.

I would like to know if anyone has any information as to what Disney would do with a stand-alone resort. From what I've read they purchased 15 acres (at National Harbor) and that's much more land than needed just for a hotel. Does anyone know what's being planned for the resort in Hawaii? Have they begun construction yet and could something similar come to D.C.? What kind of attractions can we expect Disney to build at these resorts considering the space/land available? Anybody know anything? Thanks guys.

Want to say welcome! :wave:

Wash, DC is also in my back yard. I see it to be a luxury resort/ hotel and with it be become somewhat like a getway resort like Hilton Head & Vero Beach. Not over themed w/ Disney but enough that you know who owns it.

I to am from the Dc area, and work down in DC (SE to be exact.) And believe me, I think its so cool that it isn't to far away if it is going to be Disney hotel I do think its going to be a smaller resort but still cool none the less.

Welcome to the boards!
I was at the harbor just last week and there is still a lot of land back there. Lots of potential.

olla86

Hello everyone,

Very intersting thread! I am interested in it too. I hope to find some information:confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom