Putting Your Hands Up in Space Mountain

ag2000

Original Poster
There are actually, someone posted a picture above. You just chose to ignore them. Which, is the reason putting your arms up on a rollercoaster in Ohio is illegal.

Illegal? wow. All ride have the " keep hands, arms in side car" I always raise my hands on ToT and try to on RnRC.

KrazyKemp

Just out of curiosity I reached my right hand up in the blue tunnel, and yes...I did touch the ceiling.

But I refuse to put my hands up during the quick drops, I don't want to lose a hand, lol.

jmvd20

Rumor and old wives tales. Take monetary issues alone - WDW would not operate a ride where simply putting your hand up could cause serious injury. The supports and frame may appear close but they are out of reach - ceiling in the tunnel may be a different story but there is not a high risk of serious injury there due to the speed. However I still seriously doubt that if you are sitting down you can touch it. Just don't try to stand up and be an idiot and you'll be fine.

ToTBellHop

you can definitely touch the walls of the tunnels while remaining seated appropriately. Some of these older rides were not built with the same safety requirements as today and they get grandfathered over the years. Take, for example, The Beast at Cedar Fair's Kings Island. There is a tunnel at the bottom of the 2nd lift hill with very low clearance and they make it very clear to you as you go up the 2nd lift hill not to put your hands up. Here's a POV http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZBd3ug7BlI8&mode=related&search= notice the low clearance around 3:30 in the video...crazy! Fun ride, though.

Rob562

Which, is the reason putting your arms up on a rollercoaster in Ohio is illegal.

You know, it all makes sense now.

I'd noticed in the big Cedar Point brochure I got in the mail last year that in EVERY photo of the rides, there was not a single person shown with their hands up. It was almost always showing people's hands on the lapbars or other device, occasionally not holding on, but arms still down. I think I might have caught *one* in a VERY long-distance pic of one of the coasters. But none others. Obviously the riders were put on there by the park specifically for the photo shoot, because how could you get an entire train full of people riding without their arms up? I'd just assumed it was a subtle message showing the "proper riding position" to eliminate any potential lawsuit arguements ("Well, your honor, in the photos in their BROCHURE the people had their arms up.....") but now if you're right that it's a law, it all makes sense now. :)

-Rob

ToTBellHop

You know, it all makes sense now.

I'd noticed in the big Cedar Point brochure I got in the mail last year that in EVERY photo of the rides, there was not a single person shown with their hands up. It was almost always showing people's hands on the lapbars or other device, occasionally not holding on, but arms still down. I think I might have caught *one* in a VERY long-distance pic of one of the coasters. But none others. Obviously the riders were put on there by the park specifically for the photo shoot, because how could you get an entire train full of people riding without their arms up? I'd just assumed it was a subtle message showing the "proper riding position" to eliminate any potential lawsuit arguements ("Well, your honor, in the photos in their BROCHURE the people had their arms up.....") but now if you're right that it's a law, it all makes sense now. :)

-Rob
Having worked at an amusement park in the past, I know that it's not really that tough to get people to keep their hands down. You just tell a train full of guests that you are taking pictures and that if they want to get on the website, they need to keep their arms down. People shockingly oblige.

Justin_K

This is slightly unrelated, but...

During our last trip in January, we rode Space Mountain. I'm over 6 foot (and by the way, I hunched my back and lowered my head in fear of decapitation, even though I know it wouldn't happen LOL!)

Anyway, I was assigned the front of the car. I had no idea that the leg room in the front was so much different from the rest of the car. So with my knees bent, we blasted off... and it hurt! I mean HURT. In fact, after the ride, my shins were bruised and started bleeding. I didn't complain (it's very difficult for me to be upset at Walt Disney World), but was suprised they would put a dude with long legs in the front. If I had known, I would have asked for a different seat.

So my advice, at least in my experience is: if you're tall, do not ride Space Mountain in the front seat ;)

Anyone else have an experience like this?

SpongeScott

This is slightly unrelated, but...

During our last trip in January, we rode Space Mountain. I'm over 6 foot (and by the way, I hunched my back and lowered my head in fear of decapitation, even though I know it wouldn't happen LOL!)

Anyway, I was assigned the front of the car. I had no idea that the leg room in the front was so much different from the rest of the car. So with my knees bent, we blasted off... and it hurt! I mean HURT. In fact, after the ride, my shins were bruised and started bleeding. I didn't complain (it's very difficult for me to be upset at Walt Disney World), but was suprised they would put a dude with long legs in the front. If I had known, I would have asked for a different seat.

So my advice, at least in my experience is: if you're tall, do not ride Space Mountain in the front seat ;)

Anyone else have an experience like this?
I'm 6'3" and I prefer to ride in the front so I can have the wind in my face. I've never had a problem with this. I don't know how you positioned yourself when you got in, but my shins have never touched the car.

bigorangeandy

I'm a little over 6'4" and when I ride I'm the first person in the second Car, I have my family in front of me. Space Mountain like most ride I must cross my legs at about my calfs, or a litlle lower, and get legs in that way. There is no way to sit with my feet straight out from each leg, so I don't hope in and out of a ride. I would guess that most folks that are long legged have to do something like this.

Tramp

I'm 6'3" and I prefer to ride in the front so I can have the wind in my face. I've never had a problem with this. I don't know how you positioned yourself when you got in, but my shins have never touched the car.

:lol: Hey Scottie:

I'm a little under 6' but I weigh about 220+++. When I sit in the front seat, I feel like 10 lbs of crisco in a 5 lb can. (ahem) But what really bothers me about the front seat is the way the front of the car tapers. For whatever the reason, it really plays havoc with my bad knees. In the other seats, I can extend my legs straight forward with no strain on my knees. OK, I admit it, I've become a weenie in my old age. :lol:

jmvd20

you can definitely touch the walls of the tunnels while remaining seated appropriately. Some of these older rides were not built with the same safety requirements as today and they get grandfathered over the years. Take, for example, The Beast at Cedar Fair's Kings Island. There is a tunnel at the bottom of the 2nd lift hill with very low clearance and they make it very clear to you as you go up the 2nd lift hill not to put your hands up. Here's a POV http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZBd3ug7BlI8&mode=related&search= notice the low clearance around 3:30 in the video...crazy! Fun ride, though.

Been on the Beast numerous times and I know the spot you are talking about. Still not 100% convinced that a person of normal height with their hands raised could actually touch it. However, I sure as heck would not want to test my theory on that ride.

The Gemini at Cedar Point also has a "low" steel beam at the bottom of the first hill. I have heard all kinds of stories about people being injured and hitting their hands etc. I can guarantee that there is no way to touch that beam from the train. This particular myth is just that, a fabricated collection of stories.

Whether or not these areas are "grandfathered" (usually no major safety issues are) it would just make more sense for the area to be changed. We all know from M:S that it doesn't matter what type of warnings and signs are in place, people will sue and most of the time they will win. If there really is a true danger at SM I would still think WDW would have corrected it as soon as it was found.

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
Someone can take a video camera in with nightvision (or buy nightvision goggles) and record the ride. Maybe that will help answer the question.

scottnj1966

Someone can take a video camera in with nightvision (or buy nightvision goggles) and record the ride. Maybe that will help answer the question.

I have done that already. You still cannot see too much.
You do get to be told not to have the night vision on anymore though :)

I have a video clip of the ride when the lights were on while riding though on the peoplemover.

Mori Anne

In the Parks
No
You do get to be told not to have the night vision on anymore though :)

I didn't know that you weren't allowed to use nightvision. When we went two weeks ago, we asked if it would be okay to vidoe tape using our nightvision, they said "as long as you don't use flash or a light" we could video tape. So, we video tapped my daughter's face riding Space Mountain.

Mrdean3

:hammer: oh id like the answer to this to! i am six foot 5 and always ride this bent over ! as i.m worried ill hit my head!!!!, i know i wont i just cant see how much room there is!:hammer: id love to be able to ride it sat up properly!

hahaha... ME TOO!!!! My brother's 6'7, my cousin's 6'7, and I'm 6'5. When we ride SM, we're always scared out of our minds!!!! This is so funny!!!! :lol: I took my girlfriend on it, and she was screaming, and I was behind her saying "yay" thru gritted teeth. :lol:

Main Street USA

Actually, it is impossible to touch anything that may be of danger during a coaster ride, indoors or out.
You see, after a coaster is built, they do what we coaster enthusiasts call a "pull-through". They put part of the train on the track, and attach a wooden board as shown in this picture.
The board simulates two riders with their arms fully extended, in all directions. If something goes wrong, as in, the board scrapes something, they adjust the track or fix the obstruction. If there is extra scenery involved, such as tunnels, they do another pull through with the scenery, and made more adjustments as necessary.
So, unless you are freakishly tall, you won't have to worry about losing any fingers.
I have pesonally, and quite easily, touched the ceiling in both the blue tunnel, and the red tunnel on Space Mountain. Not only that, I did it with my arms slightly bent.

Those who think you can't be injured on Space Mountain by putting your arms up are simply wrong. If I were to put my arms up before I entered one of those tunnels, my hands would strike something rather hard. That's a FACT, not an opinion.

Main Street USA

Not trying to promote my site, but the ride on SM has some good lit up shots of beams and tunnels.

Start here and just hit the forward arrow beneath the pic to navigate through:

http://wdwvirtualvisit.com/space15.htm

The beams can't be touched, just the tunnels. There's a pic of the blue tunnel and the red tunnel, as well. The red tunnel is REALLY small.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom