Putting Your Hands Up in Space Mountain

no2apprentice

Or, one could just follow the warnings and you have nothing to worry about.

SMwarning.JPG

Yoop33

6'5" with no problems yet... although I normally keep my arms at a 90 degree angel so there are no worries. You have to put your hands up at all times... makes it much more fun

NASAMan

OK, I've read through the previous posts, and have a lot of respect for some of the regular posters who left opinions, but I have 'tapped' my fingers while riding Space Mountain with my hands raised. When I ride a coaster, I'll raise my arms to increase lung volume and then whoop or scream to slightly hyperventilate which tends to cause a euphoric feeling. This may not be true, but it is the excuse I use to just have fun on the ride. Anyway, I do take care on Space Mountain because I have felt my fingertips tap-brush-rub against the framework of the ride, and touch the ceiling of the deceleration tunnel. I'm 6'2" but my arms are a little longer than average. Now I don't ride it in fear, but do keep my elbows a little bent to prevent the unwanted touching. If you are taller than 6 foot, take care. Shorter than that should be no problem.

CX360

OK, I've read through the previous posts, and have a lot of respect for some of the regular posters who left opinions, but I have 'tapped' my fingers while riding Space Mountain with my hands raised. When I ride a coaster, I'll raise my arms to increase lung volume and then whoop or scream to slightly hyperventilate which tends to cause a euphoric feeling. This may not be true, but it is the excuse I use to just have fun on the ride. Anyway, I do take care on Space Mountain because I have felt my fingertips tap-brush-rub against the framework of the ride, and touch the ceiling of the deceleration tunnel. I'm 6'2" but my arms are a little longer than average. Now I don't ride it in fear, but do keep my elbows a little bent to prevent the unwanted touching. If you are taller than 6 foot, take care. Shorter than that should be no problem.
Hmm. Maybe they didn't do pull-throughs in 1975. :veryconfu

I'm 6'2" and haven't had a problem; each time I ride I always reach up and touch the top of the tunnels when the ride passes through. I think it would be neat to ride with the lights on to see how the tracks actually look during the duration of the ride.

"Now approaching Tomorrowland Interplanetary Convention Center."

madtheswine630

I can't even keep my back straight in that ride, let alone put my hands up! XD Every time the cars go down a hill, I see that track above me and it seriously looks like it's going to take my head off. So I keep myself hunched over, head down, the entire time.

"Why do you ride it, then?" I hear you asking. Because I went on the ride when I was about 8, simply because I felt bad leaving my father to go on it alone ("I'll keep you company!" I'd chirped). Not realizing how freaky it would be to my scaredy-cat self, I came out crying...and vowed that I would force myself to KEEP going on it until I was okay with it.

...Well, I'm going to be 26 this year, I still go on every time I go to Disney, and I still have not gotten over it. XD Okay, so I don't come off crying (wouldn't THAT be a sad sight!), and it's not that I hate it anymore, but between all the rattling and jerking (which makes me feel like the car is just going to fall off the track), and then my inability to see how far away the tracks actually are?

Oh well, maybe in another 18 years or so, that ride and I will finally come to an understanding. ;)

PintoColvig

A couple years ago I had a scenario pop into my head. One day there may be a disgruntled Cast Member working at Space Mountain who decides to install a giant saw across the tracks. So as you're flying through the darkness your head gets cut off. Having this in the back of my mind as I ride makes it a lot more intense, especially when I'm in the front seat. :lookaroun

Wow. So very dark.

So, what do you imagine to make IASW more intense? :lookaroun

AliciaLuvzDizne

I have ridden this ride SEVERAL times starting when I was eight years old and I am now 37. I have always put my hands up and have never hit anything. Even in the blue tunnel. My son who is 14 and is almost 6' also puts his hands up. It just looks like your close to the tracks. Kinda like riding through a parking garage in a truck or van and thinking your not going to clear the cement beams!:D
:lol: you are not allowed to make fun of me but...
I always duck whenever I think I wont clear the cement beams in a parking garage :lookaroun

AliciaLuvzDizne

Who would make fun of you? :kiss:
people who think i have irrational fears of things
cuz i do
:lol:

I also will NOT sit underneath a TV in a bar...and Planet Hollywood has a car hanging from the ceiling in the dining room. I didnt know i was sitting underneath it until someone pointed it out and I made them switch seats with me.

:lol:
thanks though :D

disneydata

I have always wondered, will they smack the tracks above you? I know when your going through that one tunnel you can easily touch the ceiling. Because of that I was always scarred to stick my hands up during the ride for fear of hitting my hands on the tracks above. I just read "Mousecatraz" and theres a part where a former CP says they got to ride it with the lights on and said it was more terrifying with the lights on because you can see how close you come to the other tracks. Have there ever been any accidents associated with this?
I wouldn't. It alters the homing signal and that's not good.

SewIn2Disney

I duck when we pass underneith the hanging foot in Pirates, and everyone makes fun of me. I also won't walk over a sewer cover. So you're not alone!!

BoyXE

I'll confirm, being tall and with crazy long arms, that I can touch both blue and re-entry tunnels with complete ease. But nothing else ever grazes me on the rest of it. However in those tunnels you're traveling so crazy slow that it's quite a non-issue.

gcurling

NASAMan, I'm glad you posted what you did so that I wouldn't be alone. After reading all the posts about how it was "impossible" to touch ceiling or support while riding, I needed to chime in.

The ceiling in both the blue and red tunnels is within very easy reach for me (6'1") In fact, years ago, I made it a "habit" to touch the ceiling in the blue tunnel (silly kid). Also, during an e-stop when the lights came on, I've touched overhead cross-supports with relative ease when moving at a slow speed.

So, indeed, it is not impossible to make contact above your head with fully outstretched arms.

As for the warning. I believe that most people interpret "arms and hands inside the vehicle" to mean not reaching out to either side, along the rocket. Hands over the head is a very common way to ride roller coasters. I'd guess that a small percentage of guests interpret the warning to also forbid it.

bigorangeandy

Being tall I get the feeling that the supports are much closer than they seem (well I hope they are). This is one of the things that makes it such a great ride! Just enough light to see the barely see the supports, which gives the illusion that they are close than they seem. I ride with my hands up but my elbows out or down. If I'm two inches or two feet from hitting something it still makes me feel that its two inchs, due to the lack of light.

JeannieD

I'm very short (only 5 feet tall!) and I've always put my hands up on the ride. However, my younger brother is about 6'3" and I'm pretty sure he puts his hands up all the time, and has never hit anything :)

missionspace

About 4 years ago I put my arms up, and to this day My finger still hurts from hitting a support beam or something! I had to go to the hospital and get it taken care of. It was broke in 2 places! I still get pain in it! Disney told me I must have done something to it before I want on the ride and from me putting my hands up I made it hurt! If I knew what I know today I would have called my lawyer! I know It hit something on that ride! I am also 6'3"!

Captain Barbosa

I am 6'6" and I have trouble even fitting in the cars to ride Space Mountain. That darn support bar has a hard time getting over my knees. I've always felt like I'm going to hit my head on a support bar! No way I would risk putting my hands up. There should definitely be warning signs about this.

CX360

There are actually, someone posted a picture above. You just chose to ignore them. Which, is the reason putting your arms up on a rollercoaster in Ohio is illegal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom