Purists vs. Innovators "Virtually Magic Kingdoms" Open Brainstorming (Team Purists)

JokersWild

I think it would work best too. I feel like it’d be best in Tomorrowland. That being said, Mickey’s Toontown fair is in between the lagoon and Tomorrowland. Do we use that area as an extra expansion to Tomorrowland?
I mean, it’s about to be taken up by a Tron attraction in real life, so I think it’s only natural, haha

spacemt354

Chili's
Just chiming in after glancing over i like tron as the theme, not sure it needs to be trackless to be effective.

As gameplay is the core of this project its about the competitive nature of the attraction and less about the ride system (buzz and toy story are both simple ride systems)

That being said as a joystick, what would the joystick be used for? Like on Mission Space where you faux pilot the ship?

As generic as it might be, realistically speaking shooters are our best bet, imo. I just this remotely controlled gameplay trackless vehicles are a bit ahead of its time.

JokersWild

Just chiming in after glancing over i like tron as the theme, not sure it needs to be trackless to be effective.

As gameplay is the core of this project its about the competitive nature of the attraction and less about the ride system (buzz and toy story are both simple ride systems)

That being said as a joystick, what would the joystick be used for? Like on Mission Space where you faux pilot the ship?

As generic as it might be, realistically speaking shooters are our best bet, imo. I just this remotely controlled gameplay trackless vehicles are a bit ahead of its time.
The joystick would not give guests a sense of control. It would actually give guests full control of their vehicle. Think of the Buzz Lightyear ride at DisneyQuest, but when the game is over, a computer takes control of the vehicle and it reverts to a trackless dark ride.

spacemt354

Chili's
The joystick would not give guests a sense of control. It would actually give guests full control of their vehicle. Think of the Buzz Lightyear ride at DisneyQuest, but when the game is over, a computer takes control of the vehicle and it reverts to a trackless dark ride.
Thats essentially a bumper car ride (referring to buzz at disney quest).

How would the 'gameplay' element work on this? They would be shooting at other vehicles and/or objects around the arena? My guess would be both.

More importantly for safety what would stop these expensive trackless vehicles from running into each other or walls if full control is to the guest?

AceAstro

Thats essentially a bumper car ride (referring to buzz at disney quest).

How would the 'gameplay' element work on this? They would be shooting at other vehicles and/or objects around the arena? My guess would be both.

More importantly for safety what would stop these expensive trackless vehicles from running into each other or walls if full control is to the guest?
That’s a very good point that I didn’t consider. We definitely do not want this to just be a very expensive set of bumper cars!

JokersWild

I think there are ways to deter guests from ramming other vehicles. Perhaps we don’t put guests in the same arena, or separate them in some way. I dunno. I just think that having a shooting ride that gives guests that level of control is something that hasn’t really been tried, unless I’m totally forgetting something. I’ll try to see if there’s an actual way to do this. If not, I’ll gladly concede.

spacemt354

Chili's
Having ridden buzz today, gameplay elements work best, imo, if the vehicle has some control to it, and the guests have some control.

If i had to shoot and control my vehicle's actual motion forward that might be really challenging. Im bad enough aiming those lasers without that haha

However the free form 'spin' function is accessible because you just turn left or right and then shoot. You dont have to keep moving the omnimover forward too as you would if you had complete control.

But if the free form trackless ride is the direction we want to go in, lets set it up, assign roles and go! Only reason for bringing up some potential holes is so we can fill them.

Because to be honest, anything else feels like we are limited to a new space ranger spin. Realisitically any other tech that produces the same competitive gameplay effect just isnt there yet in the late 90s.

AceAstro

Having ridden buzz today, gameplay elements work best, imo, if the vehicle has some control to it, and the guests have some control.

If i had to shoot and control my vehicle's actual motion forward that might be really challenging. Im bad enough aiming those lasers without that haha

However the free form 'spin' function is accessible because you just turn left or right and then shoot. You dont have to keep moving the omnimover forward too as you would if you had complete control.

But if the free form trackless ride is the direction we want to go in, lets set it up, assign roles and go! Only reason for bringing up some potential holes is so we can fill them.

Because to be honest, anything else feels like we are limited to a new space ranger spin. Realisitically any other tech that produces the same competitive gameplay effect just isnt there yet in the late 90s.
What if to prevent bumping there are invisible walls? Like just because there’s another 3 feet until the wall, the track doesn’t actually go that far it just appears it does?

Magic Feather

What if we scrapped the trackless for the Tron concept, and had two tracks on busbars. Guests are racing someone on the other team, and they speed up or slow down based on two factors:
Power Cartridge (aka Score)
and your Powerport (aka target for other team)

Basically, they go side by side, and guests try to use disc launchers to get their discs to hit the other team's Powerport, or gates/targets. Whenever they shoot a disc, it takes x points and whenever they hit the gate or the other team's port they get an amount added to the cartridge. If a team shoots your port, you loose x . Your score going up or down increases or decreases your speed, etc.

AceAstro

What if we scrapped the trackless for the Tron concept, and had two tracks on busbars. Guests are racing someone on the other team, and they speed up or slow down based on two factors:

Basically, they go side by side, and guests try to use disc launchers to get their discs to hit the other team's Powerport, or gates/targets. Whenever they shoot a disc, it takes x points and whenever they hit the gate or the other team's port they get an amount added to the cartridge. If a team shoots your port, you loose x . Your score going up or down increases or decreases your speed, etc.
That could be interesting! I think a race could definitely be done based off of what you suggested.

JokersWild

What if each vehicle formed a team of sorts? One dedicated driver (with a gun for when they are not controlling their vehicle) and two dedicated gunner seats. That could be a compromise to achieve both without forcing guests to have to focus on both.

What if to prevent bumping there are invisible walls? Like just because there’s another 3 feet until the wall, the track doesn’t actually go that far it just appears it does?
That could probably work. The technology obviously exists, and existed in 1997. There's a computer technically operating the ride system at all times. I'd think it'd be realistic to program the free driving under certain parameters in specific spaces. I've also thought about bumpers, or more specifically cushions, to prevent damage to other vehicles, but I'm worried that it'd look absolutely awful.

JokersWild

That could absolutely work. Sounds like it'd make an amazing interactive competitive thrill ride. The only thing that we'd have to really work out is cycling trains and working out the track system (I think it would work better as a coaster than busbars, but again, cycling and capacity would be an issue.)

spacemt354

Chili's

100% on board with this

Disney Dad 3000

Alright @Disney Dad 3000 its just you and me for this project for the next few days. I’m think that by the time Space gets back we should have a good chunk of the project done as then Space can help with any art we need too.

I’m thinking based off of the ideas we’ve had, the best one to go off of is probably the Indiana Jones one.

Sorry for the delayed response. Going on day 3 laid up in bed with the flu. If I feel any better tonight/tomorrow I'd love to help even if just a little.I'll check back in later if I'm up for it, but appreciate you guys keeping trucking on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom