Purists vs. Innovators "Virtually Magic Kingdoms" Open Brainstorming (Team Purists)

Disney Dad 3000

Holiday tomorrow so will have some time to ponder a little more but we obviously can't go too long. I know the shooter style ride has been done a good bit so we'd have to really make it different.

Only other random idea at the moment is using an IP you wouldnt necessarily associate interactive,Indiana Jones. Do something like temple of doom/mine cart/omnimover, obviously wouldnt be able to do something as cool as switching tracks mid-ride if you shot out the switchback, but could have interactive elements in the scenes if you shot out enough targets of an ancient column, etc. Timeline fits too in middle I believe of DL and Disney Sea getting their Indy rides.

AceAstro

Holiday tomorrow so will have some time to ponder a little more but we obviously can't go too long. I know the shooter style ride has been done a good bit so we'd have to really make it different.

Only other random idea at the moment is using an IP you wouldnt necessarily associate interactive,Indiana Jones. Do something like temple of doom/mine cart/omnimover, obviously wouldnt be able to do something as cool as switching tracks mid-ride if you shot out the switchback, but could have interactive elements in the scenes if you shot out enough targets of an ancient column, etc. Timeline fits too in middle I believe of DL and Disney Sea getting their Indy rides.
I think Indiana Jones is a good idea. Is there a way we can incorporate interactivity with the EMV system? Pre-buzz means pre-AK so the EMV system hasn’t made it to WDW yet. Could very easily put it in MK!

spacemt354

Chili's
Something to consider with the prompt

" create a pre-Buzz Lightyear "Gameplay" system that runs throughout a unique E Ticket attraction you design. This attraction's ride system but not simply be a clone of the Horizons "choose your own adventure" format. "

When I see the word 'gameplay' system -- I think video game and/or competition against other guests like Buzz/Toy Story. There are very few areas that could pull this off in the late 90s that aren't either a redo of Buzz or a Midway style game as an attraction in the theme parks.

But the prompt never specifically says it has to be in a theme park.

Buzz soft-opened in the Magic Kingdom on October 7th, 1998

Disney Quest opened in Downtown Disney on June 19th, 1998. (So technically pre-Buzz Lightyear)

Maybe we could redesign Disney Quest indoor interactive theme park and rework it with a video game style E-ticket that we design, that would enhance the gameplay element of the experience and not have it feel forced or repetitive in the theme parks.

AceAstro

Something to consider with the prompt

" create a pre-Buzz Lightyear "Gameplay" system that runs throughout a unique E Ticket attraction you design. This attraction's ride system but not simply be a clone of the Horizons "choose your own adventure" format. "

When I see the word 'gameplay' system -- I think video game and/or competition against other guests like Buzz/Toy Story. There are very few areas that could pull this off in the late 90s that aren't either a redo of Buzz or a Midway style game as an attraction in the theme parks.

But the prompt never specifically says it has to be in a theme park.

Buzz soft-opened in the Magic Kingdom on October 7th, 1998

Disney Quest opened in Downtown Disney on June 19th, 1998. (So technically pre-Buzz Lightyear)

Maybe we could redesign Disney Quest indoor interactive theme park and rework it with a video game style E-ticket that we design, that would enhance the gameplay element of the experience and not have it feel forced or repetitive in the theme parks.
That’s also a great point! I feel like there is a lot we could do with Disney Quest. That is a big building with lots of possibilities!

spacemt354

Chili's
That’s also a great point! I feel like there is a lot we could do with Disney Quest. That is a big building with lots of possibilities!

img_01281.jpg

We could either keep the same building and replace an attraction or redesign it. We don't have to do this but this may open up more possibilities as it has attractions like Cyberspace Mountain, Virtual Jungle Cruise, midway games, and more -- I could see some sort of interactive gameplay E-ticket being a highlight.

AceAstro

Alright @Disney Dad 3000 its just you and me for this project for the next few days. I’m think that by the time Space gets back we should have a good chunk of the project done as then Space can help with any art we need too.

I’m thinking based off of the ideas we’ve had, the best one to go off of is probably the Indiana Jones one.

Magic Feather

For the Indy attraction, what if guests had to "collect" artifacts in an EMV-esque vehicle. It could be 8 seats facing outwards from the center. Guests would start by ascending to the top floor of DisneyQuest, through a temple staircase. After a brief queue, we enter a vehicle with an empty fish tank in the center, and two rows of guests facing out, like if the Forbidden Journey had benches on the side of a vehicle. Guests are told to destroy the fake artifacts using special "guns", since Indy doesn't know what the "Silver Wonder" is, other than it is bullet proof. As you go along, you blast physical artifacts away, which then hide by falling, while encountering fire, and beetles. In the end, it turns out the "Silver wonder" is a mystical snake, which (out of view) indy throws in the truck, and when you return to unload, there is an animatronic silver snake inside

AceAstro

For the Indy attraction, what if guests had to "collect" artifacts in an EMV-esque vehicle. It could be 8 seats facing outwards from the center. Guests would start by ascending to the top floor of DisneyQuest, through a temple staircase. After a brief queue, we enter a vehicle with an empty fish tank in the center, and two rows of guests facing out, like if the Forbidden Journey had benches on the side of a vehicle. Guests are told to destroy the fake artifacts using special "guns", since Indy doesn't know what the "Silver Wonder" is, other than it is bullet proof. As you go along, you blast physical artifacts away, which then hide by falling, while encountering fire, and beetles. In the end, it turns out the "Silver wonder" is a mystical snake, which (out of view) indy throws in the truck, and when you return to unload, there is an animatronic silver snake inside
I like this! A couple of things though:
1. Are they collecting artifacts or destroying them?
2. How would the snake be hidden before the end of the ride?
3. Since Indy notoriously hates snakes, would it make sense for him to grab it instead of just going the other direction?
4. I don’t know how that’d work being an E-ticket themed attraction in Downtown Disney when we could use either the space north of the Haunted Mansion or the expansion pad in Adventureland.

JokersWild

Please welcome to the team special guest star @JokersWild...come on down!
giphy.gif

I appreciate the unedited full Price is Right extended theme :p

Hey, guys. I'm back - hopefully for longer than this evening, but nonetheless.

Going off of what I've read, I'm ok with Indy, but I don't necessarily feel like it lends itself terribly well to an interactive omnimover - at least with the technology of 1997. I think we need to think a bit more outside of the box, frankly. Tiki's specifically said "game," I believe. With that, there are two directions we could go: team-based, or "single player," for lack of a better term (by single player, I mean that guests in the same vehicle would be competing against each other rather than other vehicles.) Personally, I'm partial to something team-based, where guests in a vehicle are working with together to achieve some sort of goal. Frankly, it's more unique and could lead to more interesting themes and stories.

In terms of what the ride system should be, when I was thinking it over, I was really against guns, but I honestly, can't think of anything else that would give the same sort of competitive interactivity. On top of that, there's the question of how far we would like to go with interactivity. Outside of LEGOland, rides don't really give guests any actual control in terms of where they can go and what they can do. I'd love to try to put the control into the hands of the guest and allow them to create their own story in a way. I think I've thought of a cool way to combine both of these factors into something super unique. Hopefully it sounds as good on paper as it does in my head :p

Give me a few minutes to write up a pitch - I really didn't want this post to turn into the jumbled mess that most of my brainstorming posts degrade into. I just wanted to put out my perspective in regards to direction before I really put anything specific out. Basically, what I'm thinking is a focus on competitive interactivity and putting control in the hands of the guest for the most part. I'd also love to hear your thoughts regarding the factors I personally think we should focus on.

AceAstro

I appreciate the unedited full Price is Right extended theme :p

Hey, guys. I'm back - hopefully for longer than this evening, but nonetheless.

Going off of what I've read, I'm ok with Indy, but I don't necessarily feel like it lends itself terribly well to an interactive omnimover - at least with the technology of 1997. I think we need to think a bit more outside of the box, frankly. Tiki's specifically said "game," I believe. With that, there are two directions we could go: team-based, or "single player," for lack of a better term (by single player, I mean that guests in the same vehicle would be competing against each other rather than other vehicles.) Personally, I'm partial to something team-based, where guests in a vehicle are working with together to achieve some sort of goal. Frankly, it's more unique and could lead to more interesting themes and stories.

In terms of what the ride system should be, when I was thinking it over, I was really against guns, but I honestly, can't think of anything else that would give the same sort of competitive interactivity. On top of that, there's the question of how far we would like to go with interactivity. Outside of LEGOland, rides don't really give guests any actual control in terms of where they can go and what they can do. I'd love to try to put the control into the hands of the guest and allow them to create their own story in a way. I think I've thought of a cool way to combine both of these factors into something super unique. Hopefully it sounds as good on paper as it does in my head :p

Give me a few minutes to write up a pitch - I really didn't want this post to turn into the jumbled mess that most of my brainstorming posts degrade into. I just wanted to put out my perspective in regards to direction before I really put anything specific out. Basically, what I'm thinking is a focus on competitive interactivity and putting control in the hands of the guest for the most part. I'd also love to hear your thoughts regarding the factors I personally think we should focus on.
I’m all ears on your idea! I think a team-based ride could be a really fun, unique, and interesting dynamic! I can’t wait to see your write up here so we have more to go off of!

JokersWild

So, to begin, a brief history lesson. Pooh's Hunny Hunt opened at TDL in 2000. As we are currently operating in the year 1996ish, it'd be safe to assume that the trackless ride system is already being worked on somewhere in WDI. If we tweak the timeline a bit, and bend the rules, we could assume that this ride system is at least mostly operational by this time. So, using a trackless ride system as a base, I think it would be super cool to (A) add guns to the vehicles, and (B) give guests full control of their vehicle during certain parts of the ride. This could happen smaller scenes scattered throughout the attraction, or culminate in one big room where guests have full control. Then, when the ride needs to move forward, guest control is turned off and the ride's computer sends the vehicle back on its' predetermined path. Basically what I'm suggesting is a trackless shooting dark ride with AT LEAST one scene that gives guests full control of their vehicle to battle other guests for a predetermined amount of time for points or what have you.

I'm sure I've explained this horribly, but I think it would be an incredibly interesting way to truly make a team-based attraction that innovates while still being familiar structurally. These scenes with full control could basically be where teams of vehicles could meet and battle each other, leading to different scenes depending on what team scores more points, or does more damage, or whatever really. Trackless gives us the freedom to bring the story literally anywhere, and design around multiple scenarios, while giving guests that level of control gives the attraction that level of uniqueness and sets it that much apart from interactive attractions that already exist.

In terms of theme, the possibilities are endless. I initially thought 20k, as I liked Space's idea of using the lagoon, but I think that Tron would be a natural fit as well. Or, we could even do something entirely original. This is the type of system that could be themed around a lot of things, really.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough. I think it could be a really interesting direction to take this, personally. Again, kind of out there. I'm just trying to think of a way to make this truly different from what's already been done.

AceAstro

So, to begin, a brief history lesson. Pooh's Hunny Hunt opened at TDL in 2000. As we are currently operating in the year 1996ish, it'd be safe to assume that the trackless ride system is already being worked on somewhere in WDI. If we tweak the timeline a bit, and bend the rules, we could assume that this ride system is at least mostly operational by this time. So, using a trackless ride system as a base, I think it would be super cool to (A) add guns to the vehicles, and (B) give guests full control of their vehicle during certain parts of the ride. This could happen smaller scenes scattered throughout the attraction, or culminate in one big room where guests have full control. Then, when the ride needs to move forward, guest control is turned off and the ride's computer sends the vehicle back on its' predetermined path. Basically what I'm suggesting is a trackless shooting dark ride with AT LEAST one scene that gives guests full control of their vehicle to battle other guests for a predetermined amount of time for points or what have you.

I'm sure I've explained this horribly, but I think it would be an incredibly interesting way to truly make a team-based attraction that innovates while still being familiar structurally. These scenes with full control could basically be where teams of vehicles could meet and battle each other, leading to different scenes depending on what team scores more points, or does more damage, or whatever really. Trackless gives us the freedom to bring the story literally anywhere, and design around multiple scenarios, while giving guests that level of control gives the attraction that level of uniqueness and sets it that much apart from interactive attractions that already exist.

In terms of theme, the possibilities are endless. I initially thought 20k, as I liked Space's idea of using the lagoon, but I think that Tron would be a natural fit as well. Or, we could even do something entirely original. This is the type of system that could be themed around a lot of things, really.

Hopefully I've explained this well enough. I think it could be a really interesting direction to take this, personally. Again, kind of out there. I'm just trying to think of a way to make this truly different from what's already been done.
I never even thought about trackless! Pooh’s Hunny Hunt opened a little under two years from when the first Buzz Lightyear attraction opened. Trackless rides would definitely have been designed if not prototypes at this time. I think “speeding up” the process there would totally be fine!

I like the idea of guest control too. How would that be done? Joystick controls? I definitely think there is potential there though!

As a theme I really like the idea of Tron. With it being trackless, the whole ride could be set to look like the grid and having this new technology in trackless ride systems would totally fit.

JokersWild

I never even thought about trackless! Pooh’s Hunny Hunt opened a little under two years from when the first Buzz Lightyear attraction opened. Trackless rides would definitely have been designed if not prototypes at this time. I think “speeding up” the process there would totally be fine!

I like the idea of guest control too. How would that be done? Joystick controls? I definitely think there is potential there though!

As a theme I really like the idea of Tron. With it being trackless, the whole ride could be set to look like the grid and having this new technology in trackless ride systems would totally fit.
Joystick would work fine. Really anything to put that control in the hands of the guest. The more I think about it, the more I think that Tron would be the best fit for that. I don’t know how the dark rice portions would really go, as Tron is a bit boring aesthetically, but the arena portions would be stunning.

AceAstro

Joystick would work fine. Really anything to put that control in the hands of the guest. The more I think about it, the more I think that Tron would be the best fit for that. I don’t know how the dark rice portions would really go, as Tron is a bit boring aesthetically, but the arena portions would be stunning.
I think it would work best too. I feel like it’d be best in Tomorrowland. That being said, Mickey’s Toontown fair is in between the lagoon and Tomorrowland. Do we use that area as an extra expansion to Tomorrowland?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom