Props removed from Adventurers Club, signage removed from Bet Soundstage and Comedy

MickeyPeace

With all of the hoping, pleading and begging for Adventurer's Club to come back, can someone tell me (because I had never been) was the club mostly empty at the time it closed?

Or what it still drawing large crowds but just had to go because of the shut down of PI?

There is so much noise being made that if Disney does bring it back and not many people show up that should be the end of the people having a say in "saving" anything.

Personally I have no vested interest in AC as I've never been there. I have a Jeckyll and Hyde club blocks away from me, I'm guessing that it's a similar concept.

I'd much rather see Horizons (never ridden), Toad or 20,000 leagues come back!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With all of the hoping, pleading and begging for Adventurer's Club to come back, can someone tell me (because I had never been) was the club mostly empty at the time it closed?

Or what it still drawing large crowds but just had to go because of the shut down of PI?

There is so much noise being made that if Disney does bring it back and not many people show up that should be the end of the people having a say in "saving" anything.

Personally I have no vested interest in AC as I've never been there. I have a Jeckyll and Hyde club blocks away from me, I'm guessing that it's a similar concept.

I'd much rather see Horizons (never ridden), Toad or 20,000 leagues come back!

The place was a zoo for its last few months of existence but that was due to the fact that it was closing. Prior to the announced closure I would define attendance as good. It always seemed busy when I went. It was rarely packed to the walls but it always appeared full. Unfortunately, a full club does not necessarily translate into a profitable club.

Jeckyll and Hyde is, from my understanding, an almost direct copy of the AC in premise at least.

Krack

Or maybe a realist who doesn't want people to get their hopes up only to be depressed again when the wrecking ball comes???

Steve can report what he knows to the rest of us and put his chips on the table. Instead, he has elected to be cryptic and basically say (paraphrase) "I have information but I'm not going to tell you," while suggesting the Hyperion Wharf project is moving ahead and that everyone is going to love it. I don't particularly like that style of commentary ("I'm an expert who knows everything, so I can tell you that you're wrong, but I'm not going to tell you anything I know."), but I also can't force him to share with the rest of the board. All I (we) can do is judge his credibility for myself by what actually happens on the former PI site, when and if, something does actually happen.

Me? I'm looking forward to (and expecting) more seed and mulch.

71jason

Just to fan the flames... Let's say HYPOTHETICALLY they are starting refurb / repair work to re-open the Adventurers Club AS the Adventurers Club. Given what they need to do, and past history of similar sized projects, does anyone want to venture a guess on earliest POSSIBLE (however improbable) re-opening dates? :drevil:

One rumor circulating around Orlando, alluded to above, suggests best case scenario is clubs re-opened by Halloween (seems a stretch), worst case scenario is by New Years Eve. In fairness, that rumor didn't specifically say the AC as the AC--there are other things going on that have fueled that speculation. But clubs open in that stretch of DtD by 2012.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Steve can report what he knows to the rest of us and put his chips on the table. Instead, he has elected to be cryptic and basically say (paraphrase) "I have information but I'm not going to tell you," while suggesting the Hyperion Wharf project is moving ahead and that everyone is going to love it. I don't particularly like that style of commentary ("I'm an expert who knows everything, so I can tell you that you're wrong, but I'm not going to tell you anything I know."), but I also can't force him to share with the rest of the board. All I (we) can do is judge his credibility for myself by what actually happens on the former PI site, when and if, something does actually happen.

I really disagree with your assessment of me. For 15 years on this site I've been giving out as much information as possible, and I think the track record of the site illustrates that. I've given out information about future attractions way before their official announcements, or any other site making mention. There are situations where in order to protect a source, I am unable to give out as much information as I would like. In these cases I say as much as possible - it is the best I can do. My sources of information in some cases go back 10-15 years and are greatly valued - I'm not going to sabotage that just to make you happy.

In regard to Pleasure Island - yes there are plans in the works for Hyperion Wharf +, and I do believe that when they go ahead they will excite and impress the vast majority of guests. What the final name will be I don't know, but I do not that all being well, it will be a fantastic addition. It will of course never make the old Pleasure Island fans happy - but nothing would.

You can feel free to talk about seed and mulch, I'll prefer to live in reality, and know that Disney are not idiots, and they will get DTD on the right track.

Birdflu

I live right outside NYC and have been to the Jekyll and Hyde club and their bars in the village.. while they are certainly cool and fun they aren't nearly as awesome as Adventurers Club was (and my favorite things in the world after WDW are horror and archaeology, so thats saying a lot for me, considering J&H's themes)... J&H is a restaurant foremost with added show elements mixed in, which part of me thinks, if disney WOULD ever offer a new AC anytime in the future, it would be something similar and fine, better than nothing, but its not nearly as cool as AC was where you sort of just wandered around and drink and go into different rooms to interact with the performers (as opposed to how at J&H they walk up to your table briefly or do little things on the stage with the animatronics, etc.. it just doesnt compare)... at J&H its much more rigid due to the restaurant element that everyone can't just wander around aimlessly looking at the stuff on the walls and the like.. even at the J&H bars it doesn't compare at all because, though AC was essentially a bar/club the J%H bars just feel like bars with halloween/horror/curioso theming, they are still a bar where you sit at the bar or at a table as opposed to AC's sort of museum-like feel... bottom line is both are/were awesome but nothing can compare to AC really...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

You seem to be suggesting that in this case, 1) Steve knows more than he is letting on, 2) what he knows is that there are no interesting plans for PI, and 3) that he is reporting the removal of signs and props in an attempt to mislead us into thinking that something more is happening by using against us our belief that he knows more than he is letting on.

Isn't it more plausible (and indeed, charitable) that Steve is reporting the removal of signs and props because, factually, that is what has happened? And that he is making no further comment because either 1) he doesn't know anything else, or 2) he is protecting a source or honoring a request to keep quiet? His post doesn't suggest anything other than "change". This seems to qualify.

It seems you're stretching to find deceitful intent here.

Krack

I really disagree with your assessment of me. For 15 years on this site I've been giving out as much information as possible, and I think the track record of the site illustrates that. I've given out information about future attractions way before their official announcements, or any other site making mention. There are situations where in order to protect a source, I am unable to give out as much information as I would like. In these cases I say as much as possible - it is the best I can do. My sources of information in some cases go back 10-15 years and are greatly valued - I'm not going to sabotage that just to make you happy.

In regard to Pleasure Island - yes there are plans in the works for Hyperion Wharf +, and I do believe that when they go ahead they will excite and impress the vast majority of guests. What the final name will be I don't know, but I do not that all being well, it will be a fantastic addition. It will of course never make the old Pleasure Island fans happy - but nothing would.

I'm sorry you don't like my assessment. I don't like when people essentially say to others "You're wrong, but I can't tell you how I know you're wrong or why you are wrong. You simply have to believe that I know more than you."

I love the website, btw. But when you participate in the forums, you're just like the rest of us. Your credibility is judged by the information you provide, when you provide it and its accuracy.

You can feel free to talk about seed and mulch, I'll prefer to live in reality, and know that Disney are not idiots, and they will get DTD on the right track.

The reality of the situation is that WDW has been feeding the same line of BS for three years and the only thing that's actually been accomplished at Pleasure Island was the introduction of seed and mulch. Could something actually be happening around the corner? Sure. But I'll believe it when I actually see it - that is the level of WDW's credibility on all PI related projects as far as I'm concerned.

Krack

You seem to be suggesting that in this case, 1) Steve knows more than he is letting on, 2) what he knows is that there are no interesting plans for PI, and 3) that he is reporting the removal of signs and props in an attempt to mislead us into thinking that something more is happening by using against us our belief that he knows more than he is letting on.

Quite the opposite, I believe he's privy to a multitude of wonderful things planned for PI/HW as supplied by his sources. It doesn't mean they are going to happen. We've heard about wonderful things planned for PI since it was shut down and all these grand plans WDW has for the area and exactly nothing (but grass and dirt) has actually occurred.

Isn't it more plausible (and indeed, charitable) that Steve is reporting the removal of signs and props because, factually, that is what has happened? And that he is making no further comment because either 1) he doesn't know anything else, or 2) he is protecting a source or honoring a request to keep quiet? His post doesn't suggest anything other than "change". This seems to qualify.

In fact, I do believe he is honoring a request to keep quiet. That doesn't mean I have to like it. Or choose to believe the information he has is accurate simply because he has received it.

It seems you're stretching to find deceitful intent here.

Not deceit. I believe he's being used. Just like I believe Jim Hill gets used.

Captain Chaos

I disagree. I think Steve has given us as much as he could... I guess some peopel feel NSAs should be violated and people lose their jobs??? Steve HAS TO keep certain things quiet... When I said TDO has no clue, Steve answered my post saying they have the plans... I give him the benefit of the doubt..

But because he says it's more like how long demolition will last, people want to ignore that... Why?? Can't only listen to the things that make everyone feel good... Got to listen to the bad too...

If AC is to be demolished, I will volunteer to swing the wrecking ball into the building myself so the complainers can finally move on with their lives...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Quite the opposite, I believe he's privy to a multitude of wonderful things planned for PI/HW as supplied by his sources. It doesn't mean they are going to happen. We've heard about wonderful things planned for PI since it was shut down and all these grand plans WDW has for the area and exactly nothing (but grass and dirt) has actually occurred.

In fact, I do believe he is honoring a request to keep quiet. That doesn't mean I have to like it. Or choose to believe the information he has is accurate simply because he has received it.

Not deceit. I believe he's being used. Just like I believe Jim Hill gets used.

Ah, I misread your comments. So you believe that the potential poor motives are on other's parts, not Steve's. But in that event, isn't Steve doing us a service by holding back on spewing out these plans? I thought you were complaining that Steve knows stuff that he's not telling, but if the stuff he knows is suspect for the reasons you suggest (or for other reasons), then not telling us seems to be a reasonable use of discretion and "grain of salt". He limited his reporting to facts about what is happening now, rather than what he has been told might happen in the future.

It seems to me that 1) you don't like that Steve has heard rumors he's not telling us, and 2) you wouldn't believe the rumors even if he did tell us.

ROCK Steve HARD PLACE

Lee

Adventurer
If AC is to be demolished, I will volunteer to swing the wrecking ball into the building myself so the complainers can finally move on with their lives...
It'll take a lot more than a wrecking ball to make me move on.
I swear vengeance in any (legal) way possible on all who are involved, were the AC to fall and not be reborn.
I don't forget, and I would never forgive.:mad:

Lee

Adventurer
Last time I checked the permits for the AC building wasn't demo...

True, but that doesn't mean Club will still be allowed to make that building its home. TDO might prefer to make it a Duffy superstore or Vinylmation outlet.

Kamikaze

True, but that doesn't mean Club will still be allowed to make that building its home. TDO might prefer to make it a Duffy superstore or Vinylmation outlet.

I wouldn't mind them moving the Club to another (larger) location. Its better than nothing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom