proof that WDW has done nothing to improve the parks in yeqrs

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Someone asked for numbers to back up my belief that the market is there for expansion and a 5th gate.

Anyway getting back to the number of hotel and timeshare rooms. I came up with just over 50000 currently by adding the public number of rooms at the different Disney resorts and timeshares and added the on site hotels that are not owned by Disney and then added Orange Lake and Bonnet Creek resorts. I neglected to add on the 4 seasons. I am by not sure the number of rooms they have, I will have to look that up. In any case Disney will also continue to build DVC'S and some more rooms themselves on site. For those who say no hotel rooms have been build look at Art of Animation. Flamingo Crossing, the Four Seasons and Golden Oaks and another large DVC and a medium priced resort of 500 would add about 8000 total new rooms. If there is 85 percent occupancy and the people go to parks 6 out of 7 days and Disney gets 80% would add 4.25 million to attendance and that is without figuring out a percentage increase from offering transportation to Bonnet Creek and Orange Lake or how much Orange Lake would expand sine they will have a major advantage over other timeshares in Orlando. Neither Wyndham nor Hiltons can expand there and there is only one small parcel left in that area.

The more I look into what is currently planed to be built, the more it looks like there is no way Disney will not add 10 million to attendance even if they do nothing to the parks by 2021. If they do make the improvements and regain some market share they an easily reach 75 to 80 million a year. All you have to do is look at what is going on. The market is there and the economy is doing great for those is the top half. Just think as a kid my parents didn't have the money to take vacations at all and now I can.

10 million increase by 2021 is in the realm of possibility, but it would still require a 2% increase in attendance every year from 2012 to 2021. The problem is WDW management doesn't seem to be as interested in attendance increases as they are in increasing guest spending. I think they are finding it easier to get more money out of their existing customers then to try to significantly increase the number of customers. I always like to point out that if you read the quarterly reports for the last couple years and look at where they talk about the increase in parks and resorts revenue you will see that they used to lead with "increase attendance", then at one point they switched to leading with "increase guest spending" and they have never gone back.

Goofyernmost

Watch the film, look at the actors, look at the effects. Just by this you can tell this is an old ride. It needs an updated film and technology.
It's a happy trade off for me. They changed just about everything in Epcot and this is the only one that came out of it as an improvement. I want them to keep their grubby hands off it. Let it become a classic and not a closed pavilion.

seascape

Original Poster
10 million increase by 2021 is in the realm of possibility, but it would still require a 2% increase in attendance every year from 2012 to 2021. The problem is WDW management doesn't seem to be as interested in attendance increases as they are in increasing guest spending. I think they are finding it easier to get more money out of their existing customers then to try to significantly increase the number of customers. I always like to point out that if you read the quarterly reports for the last couple years and look at where they talk about the increase in parks and resorts revenue you will see that they used to lead with "increase attendance", then at one point they switched to leading with "increase guest spending" and they have never gone back.
I have been thinking that about the perfect 5th gate and what it would be. I think the best option, lowest cost and great park would be Orlando Adventure Land. It would be based on the California park and built just to the west of and next to the Magic Kingdom with 2000 hotel/DVC rooms with a special entrance to both parks and the main entrance to the west of the current Magic Kingdom entrance. This way all they have to do for parking is build a couple of parking decks on existing lots. This would be the perfect expansion for the 50th anniversary of the Magic Kingdom. It would be easy to do and not too expensive compared to building elsewhere in WDW. 2021 will be a very popular year to celebrate and break all attendance records.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I have been thinking that about the perfect 5th gate and what it would be. I think the best option, lowest cost and great park would be Orlando Adventure Land. It would be based on the California park and built just to the west of and next to the Magic Kingdom with 2000 hotel/DVC rooms with a special entrance to both parks and the main entrance to the west of the current Magic Kingdom entrance. This way all they have to do for parking is build a couple of parking decks on existing lots. This would be the perfect expansion for the 50th anniversary of the Magic Kingdom. It would be easy to do and not too expensive compared to building elsewhere in WDW. 2021 will be a very popular year to celebrate and break all attendance records.
So now this is an Imagineering thread?

copcarguyp71

Well, as an old member that was fond of hats and food used to remind us, new people do join on a regular basis.....
XS5LK.gif

danlb_2000

Premium Member

My question for you is, why would want a fifth gate? A proper fifth gate would probably cost at least $3 billion. If they are going to spend that kind of money on a new gate by 2021, I highly doubt they would put much money into either Epcot of DHS anytime in the near future, so we would have a new park and two badly neglected parks.

Last edited:

copcarguyp71

My question for you is, why would want a fifth gate? A proper fifth gate would probably cost at least $3 billion. If they are going to spend that kind of money on a new gate by 2021, I highly doubt they would put much money into either Epcot of DHS anytime in the near future, so we would have a new park and two badly neglected parks.

But think of all the new DVC shares they could sell! (cynical laugh....CYNICAL LAUGH:devilish:)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Why would we need another park?? I have enough difficulties trying to visit all four as it is! Why couldn't they just make 2 ginormous parks with an entrance on both sides. That would be nice. Then no park hopping. Kinda like Disneyland o-o

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom